For those who cruise both RCCL and Celebrity

I am getting ready to book another cruise and I was wondering for those of you who have sailed on both cruiselines if you could give feedback on which cruiseline you liked better and why? This post is not intended to bash one company over the other as I am sure they both have pros and cons. I have only ever sailed RCCL so I want to find out what Celebrity has to offer over the other.

We have sailed a few times on both lines and are looking in to sailing with RCCL at X-Mas with another family. As we will be travelling with the kids, we are definitely targeting RCCL for the rock climbing wall, ice skating etc. When we sail without the kids, I will go out of my way to choose Celebrity if the time and itinerary are right!

RCI is more geared to families or younger passengers that are interested in doing things like rock climbing walls. The Celebrity experience is more laid back. There are fewer announcements. There are fewer pool side activities. The crowds tend to be more more mature.

jc

I prefer RCCL for it's beautiful ships and all-round great cruise experience. RCCL seems to have more of a variety of things to do and a great *fit* for my desires in a vacation.

Celebrity has the edge (in my opinion) with slightly better food, served a bit more elegantly. More upscale mature passengers, more laid back, less night life. I've very much enjoyed their enrichment seminars on board. Digital photography for one, was very informative.

If you want a relaxing cruise Celebrity is a great way to go. Of course you can get that with RCCL, as well. Either one is a great choice.

I enjoy the experience on X more, but the timing of itineraries tend to push us towards RCCL more often. For family reasons, I prefer to either sail out of or into a Florida port and can't cruise during the winter, therefore our options are very limited on X.

Definitely less activites on Celebrity, especially in the daytime. In the evenings there was dancing and of course the shows in the theater. Lots of people have told me they prefer the food on Celebrity, I was not at all impressed with the menu. Lots of sauce covering up the meat, and that's not to my taste. I personally prefer RCCL. But if you don't have kids you may want to go on and try out Celebrity. You can always jump ship for your next cruise :) .

Celebrity is more upscale, a little more pampered feeling. The decor is more refined, the service personnel a little more formal toward the passenger but not stuffy. I can't even compare the food - X wins by a long shot. The passenger mix is more 40-60 in age with far less children. The pool is definitely quieter and the ship has a quieter vibe in its lounges at night. We have stayed in a suite and in concierge class - the CC cabins compare to the RCCL junior suites except they don't have a bathtub. But the room set up is very similar. X also does extra little things - for instance, there is a cocktail party for anniversary and honeymooners - something RCCL lacks.

On RCCL you do have more sporty/group on board activities, more of a childrens program and in general, more of a laid back party atmosphere. Seems to cater to a bit younger crowd, more 30-50 with more families. Food to me is average - simple but fine. Staff interacts a little looser with passengers.

We go back and forth depending on budget and itinerary but Celebrity will always be our number one choice.

I just returned from the Enchantment of the Seas New England cruise. I've cruised on Celebrity several times and RCL twice; based on last week's experience, I would definitely pick Celebrity in a heartbeat.

Basesd on my experience on the Enchantment, Celebrity has more varied activities during the day (such as enrichment programs) and cuisine. The food on RCl was okay but pretty close to what I can get at home. Celebrity offers better quality food (you can't get filet mignon in the main dining room on the Enchantment) and service.

RCL is probably better for people with young families or people who are into the rock climbing wall and bungee jumping. The Celebrity experience is a little

more sedate.

Also, the Enchantment was very crowded. Long lines for just about everything.

On our one Celebrity cruise (Infinity--with plastic plants) we could not find anything that we liked better. We did not find the food to be better. No one seemed to be having any fun. We couldn't wait to get back to RCI. To each his own.

Archived