Money for a Baltic Cruise

My husband and I are going on a cruise beginning in Stockholm, then on to St. Petersburg, Berlin, Tallin, and onto Copenhagen. Can I use my credit card or should I have currency that is used in these cities?

If you scroll down about 1/3 of a page you'll see a thread on this subject. We will be in the same cities (departing late next month) and plan on using ATM machines. St. Petersburg is the one place that I am uncertain about. When we were there 8 years ago, our tour guide paid for things we wanted in rubles and we paid her in U.S. dollars. They should take credit cards, however, with the issues going on between the U.S. and Russia, I would prefer not using a credit card or ATM there. I'm sure other people will have other opinions.

TC/Cheryl - I guess the "plus side" to the current tensions is that the Russian Ruble has fallen 9% (against the U.S. Dollar) since January. Today's exchange rate is about 35.37 Rubles = $1 USD. :o

So, with our hard-earned dollars we'll be able to buy more sets of Russian nesting dolls ("Matryoshka's") for all the family and friends back home (than we could in January). :p

On my travels, I haven't really tended to buy too many things overseas. Primarily because I either "have it or don't want/need it" or......if there's something I'd really like (and admittedly, I'm not too much of a "shopper") I could probably buy it in the U.S. much cheaper than what it would cost overseas. Especially at a "tourist venue". When DW and I were living overseas (Asia and GB) we'd buy something on the local economy and then get back home and look at each other and say, "what were we thinking!?" The only exception to that was the Edinburgh Crystal that we bought on Oxford Street back in the 70's. But we don't even use those pieces now (afraid of breaking one!). I guess those will be left to our cats when we "pass on to the great reward". :D

Most of our overseas "treasures" were long ago disposed of in the "good old-fashioned American way".....at yard sales. I even (reluctantly) got rid of my 3-foot long Philippine wooden wall hanging fork & knife set, along with the wooden "lazy susan" set (I really miss those - NOT!)) along with the carved replica of a water buffalo standing on top! :eek: ((I think I actually had to "pay someone" at one of the yard sales to take those away)).

"Things" (i.e., hard goods and souvenirs) in northern Europe -Denmark, Sweden, Germany, etc., will be very expensive compared to what the same/similar items would cost in the U.S. And if/when you get back home and have remorse that you didn't buy that little bronze statue of the "Little Mermaid" - you can find it on Ebay - really!

On recent trips, we brought along $800 or so in U.S. dollars (cash) and just converted a few dollars at a time (just what we needed at the moment for taxis, ice cream, etc.) at money exchange windows. Yes, the exchange rate might not be optimum, but if you convert too much into foreign currencies, you'll have to "pay again" when you convert it back to USD. Like TC, we have also used ATM machines. At hotels and restaurants, we use a credit card.

Most importantly, I will also share TC's caution/avoidance/reluctance about using ATM's or any electronic transactions in Russia. And this extends to using WIFI, internet (passwords), or any smartphone or I-pad like devices while on Russian soil. At the very least, turn off the WIFI feature. You WILL be the target of a hacking attack. It was rapant during the olympics. The electronic "bad guys" are all over the place in Russia. I hate to be "Mr. Doom & Gloom" here, but many, many "hacks", viruses, and cyber-attacks are orginating from that area of the world.

The safest thing (obligatory - IMHO) will be to just carry small amounts of U.S. cash off the ship in St. Petersburg (and divide the total amount between traveling companions) and exchange it on a case by case basis if you are buying something. Things are pretty safe (as "safe" as anything can be, these days, in Scandanavia and Germany). Regards

Funny you should mention the fork and spoon. We lived in the Phillipines when I was little and my mom and dad had those on the wall all the years I lived in their house. I also put them in a garage sale after their deaths. Brings back memories. Thanks for the information on the money situation. I wonder if we will even be allowed in St. Petersburg?

pingpong1: I can really identify with having too many things that were purchased over the years during our travels. Fortunately we did not purchase anything large but I dread dusting our wall of masks and the knick knacks that we thought we couldn't live without once upon a time. The only person I always shop for on our travels is our pet sitter. Without her we could not have traveled during the past four years when our diabetic kitty had to have insulin shots twice a day (unfortunately, he passed away before Christmas). I will be looking for something like a scarf, gloves or hat that would help keep her warm when she walks dogs during the winter. Hoping to find something in Norway (and will no doubt pay through the nose).

Thank you for the heads up regarding Wi-Fi. I knew that this problem existed in China but did not think about Russia. We will be stopping in St. Petersburg and Murmansk, Russia and I'll keep the Wi-Fi off. I may even use my Yahoo account onboard since it has no saved email addresses on it as it has been hacked already.

that there were very few things you could bring back. No furs, except mens hats and I think those nesting dolls. We couldn't buy Rubles here and the ship doesn't have them. The only place was an exchange place in Moscow square...we flew up there on the first day in port. You must have some rubles to pay when you use the public restroom. We were advised at that time not to use a credit card...advice. That is not to say you could not. All in all, I didn't feel good about much of anything except the sights in Russia. Everything we saw was wonderful but communication then was strained...and I believe it must be extra strained now. Why not buy your things to bring home in another port. Some of those ports are extra nice.

We were there in 2009 and we used the ATM twice. We took a private tour and had a great tour guide. She took us to a safe area with ATM and told us how much we would approximately need (basically for food). At the end of the 3rd day, we had to settle our bill with the tour company and they gave us a discount if we paid in cash so we went to the ATM machine again.

I Think it is as safe to use an ATM machine as it is in the US. Same rules apply:

1-Always use an ATM that is part of a bank, never a stand alone

2-Make sure you are in a safe area and be aware of your surroundings

3-Make sure you cover your hand when entering your pin number

ATM scams are everywhere including in the US. Travel safe and enjoy St Petersburg. It's a beautiful city.

I agree 100% re souvenir shopping and like earlier contributors to this thread, avoid buying more "stuff" that will add to the clutter. However, I do really love making small transactions in local currency - an ice cream or a tiny bit of ephemera (what I regard as "journal fodder"), simply so that I get a chance to interact with someone local. Quite often, it will be in a small, off the beaten track corner shop or maybe in a market and I try to engage with the seller to learn a little about the people and the place where i happen to be. Those small transactions are often the most memorable - I've bought a hole punch from a stationer occupying a hole in the wall in Mumbai, a card of linen buttons in a Czech haberdashery shop and a few stamps in Willemstad recently. I never spend a fortune - just pennies really - but it's the experience which is the souvenir, not the purchase. Incidentally, I'm a useless haggler, so seldom have fun in that kind of situation!

Have fun in the Baltic!

I too would be very hesitant to use an ATM or wifi in Russia. I had to use my VPN in China, and I still think I was hacked as some of my settings on my iPad have not been right since

I do love my beautiful painted box from St. Petersburg. But a hint. I bought it at a shop. When I got back to the ship, the gift shop had stocked a good variety and were selling them for less than I paid for similar quality. Of course, with the ruble devalued, you might find some great deals.

TC (and others) - Please excuse the brief Off Topic comment.

So sorry to hear about your loss back before Christmas. We too have a diabetic cat (Spencer) and DW has faithfully been giving him his insulin twice a day (before meals), as well - for 5 years. He became diabetic 6 years after he "joined the family". He's 11 now. The other cats in the family all gather around and look forward to Spencer getting his shot.

That means that "everybody else" (including me) is going to get fed as soon as Spencer has been "stuck". But he runs around the house, has a bright/shiny coat, jumps up on the furniture and lets the rest of us know that he's the "king of the house". For now, he seems to be doing well and is otherwise healthy. But as all of you (with pets) know, when it comes to pets, each day that they are healthy is a "gift".

Okay, Thanks for the indulgence. Back on topic now....Money in the Baltic - Bring plenty of it!....:)

TC (and others) - Please excuse the brief Off Topic comment.

So sorry to hear about your loss back before Christmas. We too have a diabetic cat (Spencer) and DW has faithfully been giving him his insulin twice a day (before meals), as well - for 5 years. He became diabetic 6 years after he "joined the family". He's 11 now. The other cats in the family all gather around and look forward to Spencer getting his shot.

That means that "everybody else" (including me) is going to get fed as soon as Spencer has been "stuck". But he runs around the house, has a bright/shiny coat, jumps up on the furniture and lets the rest of us know that he's the "king of the house". For now, he seems to be doing well and is otherwise healthy. But as all of you (with pets) know, when it comes to pets, each day that they are healthy is a "gift".

Okay, Thanks for the indulgence. Back on topic now....Money in the Baltic - Bring plenty of it!....:)

Hope you have many more years with Spencer. Our little one was almost 16 when he passed. He was the last of three babies that we had for many years. When he began to fail two years ago, we briefly thought that we would have an opportunity to sail the seven seas without being tired down. It was an opportunity we didn't want. When our second kitty died suddenly, it took four days before we went to the Humane Society and adopted two adorable kittens. We accidentally (really) adopted a third one 5 months ago. While this may not the right place to discuss saving the lives of shelter animals, IMO, adoption, spaying and neutering dogs and cats is more important than cruising.

Back on topic........ there are times that I get concerned about visiting St. Petersburg. Things seem to be escalating in that part of the world and might reach a peak on May 25th (or 26th?) when there is an election. It is possible that the U.S. will put travel sanctions on Russia. I also struggle with wanting to support the people of Russia without supporting the government. Not trying to get political as I know that is not permitted on CC. In this case, it could affect summer travel. Guess we need to wait and watch.

P.S. Just thinking about our newest addition made me change my avatar:-)

Edited by Travelcat2