Lots of questions about IOS!

Hi all,

I apologize for asking so many questions, and if the questions are too frequent! I am quickly learning that CC is addictive. :eek: Is there an AA type of group for folks who are addicted to CC?! :o Hopefully, I haven't gotten a bad rap on these boards yet! :(

1. I am considering the beverage packages. Probably just the soda/water one for my husband and for sure the soda for me, and maybe the premium once we board and get the lay of the land. I would get my soda package credited if I upgrade once on board, right? Are all of the wines that you can get by the bottle available by the glass? If so, why would you need to get a bottle of wine? :confused: Would the wine in the premium package be available in the speciality restaurants?

2. If we do the pre-pay of gratituites (long story, but we are with a group and its required), its just for the dining staff, right? Our stateroom attendant we would pay the gratituty separately?

3. I am having a tough time deciding on our cabin. I had my heard set on an AFT balcony (because of many of your strong recommentations! :rolleyes:) It looks like our best options are 9676 or trying to get a 'true' aft by seeing if we can upgrade to a JS for an extra $673, and seeing if a cabin like 1406 is available. What is a side aft balcony like? Is it basically the same as any other balcony, just towards the back of the ship? Should we pay more for a true aft? If I can't get a true AFT, where should I request our cabin to be located? My DH would be perfectly happy with an ocean view, so I might be pushing my luck in upgrading to a JS! We would have to tip more for our attendant in a JS, right? Or is that for a GS or other suites? What are the other pros and cons of a JS if I can sweet talk my way into a JS?! :p

Thanks for your help and advice!

Not all of the wines in bottles are available by the glass. Here's a drink menu that has the MDR wine list and shows which wines are by the glass:

http://cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

Pre-paid gratuities cover dining room staff, stateroom attendant and stateroom helpers.

Edited by clarea

Hi all,

I apologize for asking so many questions, and if the questions are too frequent! I am quickly learning that CC is addictive. :eek: Is there an AA type of group for folks who are addicted to CC?! :o Hopefully, I haven't gotten a bad rap on these boards yet! :(

1. I am considering the beverage packages. Probably just the soda/water one for my husband and for sure the soda for me, and maybe the premium once we board and get the lay of the land. I would get my soda package credited if I upgrade once on board, right? Are all of the wines that you can get by the bottle available by the glass? If so, why would you need to get a bottle of wine? :confused: Would the wine in the premium package be available in the speciality restaurants?

2. If we do the pre-pay of gratituites (long story, but we are with a group and its required), its just for the dining staff, right? Our stateroom attendant we would pay the gratituty separately?

3. I am having a tough time deciding on our cabin. I had my heard set on an AFT balcony (because of many of your strong recommentations! :rolleyes:) It looks like our best options are 9676 or trying to get a 'true' aft by seeing if we can upgrade to a JS for an extra $673, and seeing if a cabin like 1406 is available. What is a side aft balcony like? Is it basically the same as any other balcony, just towards the back of the ship? Should we pay more for a true aft? If I can't get a true AFT, where should I request our cabin to be located? My DH would be perfectly happy with an ocean view, so I might be pushing my luck in upgrading to a JS! We would have to tip more for our attendant in a JS, right? Or is that for a GS or other suites? What are the other pros and cons of a JS if I can sweet talk my way into a JS?! :p

My experience with a true AFT is that it is very hot back there.

Don't apologise for asking "too many" questions - CC is all about helping others by passing on our knowledge, experience and opinions and long may it continue :)

Sadly I can't help much with your questions though. I don't know about the beverage packages as I've only had the soda one and not tried to upgrade it. Somebody else has already answered your gratuities question but I would add that you do pay higher gratuities for a JS, as you have pre-paid I would imagine that is taken into account with the cost of the upgrade. As for the Aft balconies.........I've visited but never stayed in one. I love the thought of being able to hear the water but for me it's not worth that very long walk along the corridor every time you leave your cabin :eek:........that answer comes under "opinion".

Have a great time

Gill

1. If I were unsure which beverage package, I'd wait to purchase one; that way you won't have to worry about credits for prior purchase. i have not yet purchased a beverage package in part because of the wine. I like wine, and I perceive the wine by glass options on the beverage package to be too limited/low quality. If I liked mixed drinks (well), I might see the value differently. Different tastes and consumption patterns matter.

2. prepaid gratuities generally include dining and stateroom.

3. I do enjoy aft balconies, though not everyone does. For a newbie, I'd tend to recommend midship, as there tends to be the least movement. and shorter walks to the stairs and elevators. If there is an available balcony on the "hump", those are popular and convenient. how nice of cabin should you get? it is hard to say, but, if it not a super special occassion, I think there is something to be said for starting in a more basic cabin. if you know love cruising in a basic cabin, your options are wide open for future cruises (you can select a basic cabin again, knowing you'll be happy enough...or you can upgrade in the future, anticipating the pleasures of an even nicer cabin.) of course, if the JS is comfortably in your budget, it will be a nice cabin for you. Your call...no wrong answer (unless if causes a family spat;)).

Don't apologise for asking "too many" questions - CC is all about helping others by passing on our knowledge, experience and opinions and long may it continue :)

Sadly I can't help much with your questions though. I don't know about the beverage packages as I've only had the soda one and not tried to upgrade it. Somebody else has already answered your gratuities question but I would add that you do pay higher gratuities for a JS, as you have pre-paid I would imagine that is taken into account with the cost of the upgrade. As for the Aft balconies.........I've visited but never stayed in one. I love the thought of being able to hear the water but for me it's not worth that very long walk along the corridor every time you leave your cabin :eek:........that answer comes under "opinion".

Have a great time

Gill

JS gratuities are the same as a regular cabin, it only goes up for a GS or above

I have a question about the Indy also. Why are there no parades during the week since they have a promenade?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

We've been on Indy 3 times and always had parades (3 of them on a 14 night med cruise last year. Going on her again soon so I hope the parades do happen.

Hi all,

1. I am considering the beverage packages. Probably just the soda/water one for my husband and for sure the soda for me, and maybe the premium once we board and get the lay of the land. I would get my soda package credited if I upgrade once on board, right? Are all of the wines that you can get by the bottle available by the glass? If so, why would you need to get a bottle of wine? :confused: Would the wine in the premium package be available in the speciality

I can't really offer you p with your room as we always try for mid to back ship.

As far as drinks package. We once purchased wine package and when we got onboard they had started a trial with the alcohol package so they did let us refund wine to buy the drink one. But I would hold of just incase.

We've been on Indy 3 times and always had parades (3 of them on a 14 night med cruise last year. Going on her again soon so I hope the parades do happen.

Thank you very much for the reply. I read one review where the person said they had no parades on a 6 nighter and another person said that since the ship isn't a Dreamworks ship they don't have parades.

Glad to hear there are parades.:)

Bill