Jewel of the Seas = Mixed reviews - help

I have seen mixed reviews on the Jewel of the Seas --- we have reservations for a November sailing --- and would appreciate anyone that could fill me in on hwat is happening with the Jewel --- we will be in a Junior Suite -- would like to hear comments on anyone else that has been in the Junior Suite --- also am curious as to who the Captain is ---

I have seen mixed reviews on the Jewel of the Seas --- we have reservations for a November sailing --- and would appreciate anyone that could fill me in on hwat is happening with the Jewel --- we will be in a Junior Suite -- would like to hear comments on anyone else that has been in the Junior Suite --- also am curious as to who the Captain is ---

My only suggestion is to disregard the extremes, both bad and good. I've never had a bad cruise on RCI, though it seems the ships I've sailed on were never given the "best" reviews. It seems that the older the ship is the worse the review is. It all depends on your expectations. I expect a clean room, courteous friendly service, and good food.

I have never been dissapointed in RCI. You will fine people who have had bad experiences on any vacation they have taken and in restaurants. This is not to say that their complaints are not valid, but that you can hit an off day anywhere.

Thore Thorelvsen was captain of the Jewel when we sailed her last October and he has recently gone on vacation and been replaced by James MacDonald. One or the other is likely going to be your captain in November and both are great - very personable and very inclined to keep their passengers fully informed about what is going on.

Most of the reviews I have read of the Jewel have been quite positive, but negative reviews are always possible. In such cases it is important to determine the reason for the negative reviews and decide whether or not they are likely to affect my cruise experience adversely. If the complaints involve individual servers you won't necessarily even come into contact with them or they may have been dismissed or they may have cleaned up their act (assuming of course that the complaints were valid - sometimes they are not). If the complaints are about food, I try to remind myself that my tastes are not the same as everyone else and what others might not like, might, in my opinion, be wonderful or vice versa.

Our experience on the Jewel was great and in fact we are sailing on her again later this month, again in October, 2005 and in October, 2006.

Try not to board with too many preconceptions (good or bad). If you treat each cruise as an individual experience and don't spend a lot of time and effort comparing it to other cruises, you are more likely to enjoy your cruise. :)

Jewel came to Belfast on Saturday and as I work in the trade I was invited onboard for a ship tour and lunch. I have to say I was very impressed and took 76 photo's!!! The top deck swimming pool under a movable glass canopy was amazing. It was done like a Thai village I couldnt believe it. The outside staterooms were very nice . Didnt get to see others as ship was full. I am posting the pics on a website proberbly tomorrow if anyones interested I will post link here. I have been on the older ships : Majesty & Sovereign and also Celebrity's Millenium and this ship was well upto Milleniums standards. Im booking for next year!!! In two weeks im on Century .....cant wait. The lunch we had in Tides restaurant was very nice and service excellent. The ship in my opinion is lovely. Lots of spaces to relax and get away from it all. The spa is amazing and the ship has two billiard tables that always keep the table flat apparantly they cost thousands!!!

We were on Jewel last August (trans Atlantic crossing) and loved it. We then had Captain James MacDonald (he is from Canada) and really very nice. We loved the ship so much we are booked on her next July to the Baltic. I've never had a bad cruise with Royal Caribbean and we have been on 13.

I sailed on the Jewel this past April 23rd. I have nothing nagative to say about the Jewel at all. If you read Emmy's review of the Jewel on CC. She interprets the experience perfectly except I did not encounter any problems with children as she did. I was on the same sailing as she and her husband.

I felt I received everything and more for what I paid. I had a Balcony cabin, midship and couldn't have asked for anything nicer. Several of my CC friends did have mini-suites and they were very pleased. The service was wonderfull and so was the food in my opinion.

Don't worry and by all means do not listen to people who nit-pick on everything. The Jewel is what she was intended to be. A beautiful cruising experience.

Roberta

I'm probably becoming a bit jaded by the extremes of reviews, but I'm sure you'll find mixed reviews of EVERY cruise ship.

jmo

-Monte

I'm gruntled! I have loved every cruise I've ever been on, including one on Carnival.

We leave tomorrow for our Europe excursion, including our Jewel cruise on the 7th...we've only hard wonderful things about this ship and couldn't be more excited!!

You're going to hear god and bad about every place you could possibly go. Some people have the highest of expectations, which would dampen their spirits at the drop of a dime. Others can't enjoy themselves on any vacation and find something to gripe about. Others may have legitimate complaints, which is bound to happen. If you go with the flow and enjoy the cruise for what it is, you'll more than likely be able to have a great time!! I've heard how beautiful this ship is!! Can't wait to experience for ourselves!!

Archived