NCL using old Bait and Switch?

For the first time I am disappointed with NCL customer service. When checking yesterday I saw that my current cruise was now offering a $50 Latitudes onboard credit for balcony cabins. I immediately called to get the credit for the two balcony cabins I have reserved. Thats 2 balconys, 4 people equating to a rather small $25 dollars per person credit. (Every little bit helps, right)

This is where the “fun” started. I was told that yes, there was a credit but I would have to pay $150 more per cabin to get it. I informed them that the website showed the credit along the price I originally paid for the cabins

Again I was told, pay higher price to get credit. I then suggested that it was deceptive advertising to do this. Their answer, well, since I was getting the lower price, if I booked the cruise now, it would have given me a choice, the low price or the higher price with the credit.

I was really disappointed that they would do this old bait and switch but I suppose it also happens every day on other cruise lines.

I don’t know, I’ve always been brand loyal, but maybe it’s time to look to other cruise lines to see it this really does happen. What are your thoughts?

Why don't you just cancel your current booking outright, then call back a half hour later and book the same cruise at the new price & OBC offer?

Talked with the CC about that. She said I could do this but would have to pay the higher price to get the credit. $150 per person increase for a $50 total credit. No, I don't thinks so.

Talked with the CC about that. She said I could do this but would have to pay the higher price to get the credit. $150 per person increase for a $50 total credit. No, I don't thinks so.

What higher price? I thought you said that the price was the same.

Their answer, well, since I was getting the lower price, if I booked the cruise now, it would have given me a choice, the low price or the higher price with the credit.

You have a choice it seems, keep the low price you paid or pay more for an OBC. Two different offers, two different sets of terms, two different outcomes, neither can be combined with the other to allow you to have your cake and eat it too.

Let me see if I can make this a little clearer. The website showed a credit at the price I paid for the cruise. When I asked for it, I was told that I could keep the price I paid, or get the credit IF I wanted to pay more. If I cancelled and rebooked the same situation would apply.

The point, for those that don't get it was, even though the website showed one thing, if fact, it was a pretty deceptive practice. Now, if you NCL cheerleaders want to flame me for this. so be it. I was and am simply telling it like it is.

Let me see if I can make this a little clearer. The website showed a credit at the price I paid for the cruise. When I asked for it, I was told that I could keep the price I paid, or get the credit IF I wanted to pay more. If I cancelled and rebooked the same situation would apply.

The point, for those that don't get it was, even though the website showed one thing, if fact, it was a pretty deceptive practice. Now, if you NCL cheerleaders want to flame me for this. so be it. I was and am simply telling it like it is.

The website showed a lower price than they had on the phone? Not uncommon which is why they have that line in their best price guarantee policy about seeing lower rates through ncl.com. You save the page where you saw the price, cancel your old booking, rebook online. Or rebook with an agent on the phone then submit a best price guarantee claim.

No need for name calling.

YOU said the price you paid and the price on the web were the SAME, right?

If that is the case, just cancel and rebook...the price is the same and you will get the OBC. Isn't that what you wanted?

I still don't get it? If your original price was $100 per person with no OBC, are you now saying the website show the same cabin for $100 plus an OBC??? If so, just cancel and rebook. I suspect NCL is saying your original cabin is now $175 and an OBC. Is this the case??

Are you already past final payment?

Harriet

My last post on the subject:

Thanks for asking. No, not for a long time. I think I may just look at some of the other lines just to compare.

BTW, my first thoughts were, If NCL is willing to lose a $3000+ booking for a measley $100 bucks they must be in really good shape.

Again, one last time. IF I cancelled and rebooked, I could get the ORIGINAL price (the one I have now) or to get the OBC I would have to book at the higher price.

It would have been a mute poiint if the website simply said, "$50 OBC for certain balcony categories."

New OBC offers are generally for new bookings. In order to take advantage, technically they have to cancel your current booking (not a problem because you're before final payment) and rebook to apply the new offer. If the rates are now higher than the rate at which you booked, your new booking will be at the higher rate. So if the rate has gone up by more than the OBC offer amount, it's not a good deal for you.

This is NOT a bait and switch.

I think you mean "moot point", but anyway.

It still seems a bit unclear as to what is going on. I'm sorry if you are getting upset, but it just seems a bit odd so people are trying to figure out exactly what NCL is saying and what you are saying. It sounds like you are saying "I paid $500 for my cabin. Now they are offering my cabin for $500 plus OBC. If I cancel and rebook I will have to pay $650 for the same cabin to get $50 OBC". Is that correct? If not, then I still don't understand.

As I said, you have a choice. It wasn't my intent to flame you and I don't feel that I did.

Thanks for asking. No, not for a long time. I think I may just look at some of the other lines just to compare.

BTW, my first thoughts were, If NCL is willing to lose a $3000+ booking for a measley $100 bucks they must be in really good shape.

Again, one last time. IF I cancelled and rebooked, I could get the ORIGINAL price (the one I have now) or to get the OBC I would have to book at the higher price.

It would have been a mute poiint if the website simply said, "$50 OBC for certain balcony categories."

And this is where you lose everyone... What higher price? The web only shows ONE price per cabin...there is not one price with OBC and another without.

I think you mean "moot point", but anyway.

It still seems a bit unclear as to what is going on. I'm sorry if you are getting upset, but it just seems a bit odd so people are trying to figure out exactly what NCL is saying and what you are saying. It sounds like you are saying "I paid $500 for my cabin. Now they are offering my cabin for $500 plus OBC. If I cancel and rebook I will have to pay $650 for the same cabin to get $50 OBC". Is that correct? If not, then I still don't understand.

I read it as "I can keep my cabin for $500 with no OBC or I can book the cabin for $650, but the website says that the OBC is available with the $500 rate".

Perhaps if you provided the actual details of your current booking including cabin category, sailing date, and ship, the situation would be much easier to understand for those folks here who really are trying to help you.

Edited by triptolemus

As others have said, I am not sure we have enough details to know for sure, but it sounds to me that this isn't a case of "bait and switch" but instead a case of "NCL reps aren't always right." Unfortunately, that issue has been widely reported. :(

As others have said, I am not sure we have enough details to know for sure, but it sounds to me that this isn't a case of "bait and switch" but instead a case of "NCL reps aren't always right." Unfortunately, that issue has been widely reported. :(

We don't have adequate information even to reach your conclusion.

I understand what the OP is saying because I experienced the same thing. This happened a week or so ago for us on our Dec Getaway sailing.

We originally booked a BA (free upgrade from BC) like $829 pp plus $50 total OBC. Then I looked a few weeks later and the BC (which we were fine with) were $779 and there was a indicator on the website $50 OBC for balconies...however if you went through the process of booking the $50 did not show for BC. So I called our PCC (love him) and he said yes we could be in the BC for $779 but no OBC...indicated whatever the sale (I did not catch the name he called it) was did not include OBC for BC. (FYI all the other balcony categories were much more expensive but included OBC).

Fast forward another week or so and BC is down to $739 same indicator about OBC for balconies still no OBC for this special price...at the end we are still paying $130 less with no OBC.

We are happy but I understand the OP concern there is no where not even in the fine print that I could find that says certain categories do not qualify for the OBC.

Happy Sailing everyone!!!!

Similar experience, we booked MX Cat. on Jewel for $799. NCL upgraded us to M1. Then the priced for MX, the cat. I paid for dropped to $749. NCL would not reduce the price without taking away the $70. obc. I could pay for the M1 full price and receive the obc, is what I was told? Our booking says "in an effort to provide you with the best freestyle cruising experience, we have given you a complimentary upgrade" As we see it this was not a complimentary upgrade but in fact had strings attached, which we knew nothing about and we were not told this by anyone at NCL. We cancelled the cruise and will NOT be re-booking. We agree that NCL is playing fast and loose with the price reductions and their practice is deceptive and an unfair business practice. Our advice to anyone booking a cruise with NCL is have a long talk with the person on the other end of the line and find out what today's rules are, because they seem to change each day.

Similar experience, we booked MX Cat. on Jewel for $799. NCL upgraded us to M1. Then the priced for MX, the cat. I paid for dropped to $749. NCL would not reduce the price without taking away the $70. obc. I could pay for the M1 full price and receive the obc, is what I was told? Our booking says "in an effort to provide you with the best freestyle cruising experience, we have given you a complimentary upgrade" As we see it this was not a complimentary upgrade but in fact had strings attached, which we knew nothing about and we were not told this by anyone at NCL. We cancelled the cruise and will NOT be re-booking. We agree that NCL is playing fast and loose with the price reductions and their practice is deceptive and an unfair business practice. Our advice to anyone booking a cruise with NCL is have a long talk with the person on the other end of the line and find out what today's rules are, because they seem to change each day.

At the time of your original booking you were indeed given a complimentary upgrade as you said yourself you booked an MX for $799 and were given an M1 at no additional cost.

Since you are now in an M1 you can't compare what you paid for the MX. You have to compare pricing to the M! now.

Repricing your fare in the future comes with different rules if there is a different promo running.

It happens on all lines.

Sorry if you feel they are playing fast and loose and not rebooking but if try different cruise lines you'll run into the same problems.

Carnival recently had a promo where they let you book with a $50 deposit. After that sail ended they had another sale where the prices were even lower but you had to pay the full deposit.

When people applied for the lower fare they were given the new fare but nobody told them that now they had to pay the full deposits and they were cancelling cruises for non payment of the full deposit.

Bill

At the time of your original booking you were indeed given a complimentary upgrade as you said yourself you booked an MX for $799 and were given an M1 at no additional cost.

Since you are now in an M1 you can't compare what you paid for the MX. You have to compare pricing to the M! now.

Repricing your fare in the future comes with different rules if there is a different promo running.

It happens on all lines.

Sorry if you feel they are playing fast and loose and not rebooking but if try different cruise lines you'll run into the same problems.

Carnival recently had a promo where they let you book with a $50 deposit. After that sail ended they had another sale where the prices were even lower but you had to pay the full deposit.

When people applied for the lower fare they were given the new fare but nobody told them that now they had to pay the full deposits and they were cancelling cruises for non payment of the full deposit.

Bill

Thank you for responding to that post in a much more tactful approach than I would have. It is frustrating when people blame their inability to understand something on someone else. Don't blame the teacher that 2+2=4, you think it's 5 and you think the teacher is a jerk because they tell you it is 4. Sorry for the rant.