Balcony Cabin - Connecting Rooms, Connecting Balconies?

cmloe

We are booked on the Splendour of the Seas for July 2, 2006. We have connecting D1 balcony cabins. Does anyone know if the balconies can be opened up to make one large balcony for the two connecting rooms? Thanks!

The balcony dividers can be opened, but the ships' captains have not been allowing it during cruises for quite some time now. They are intended to be opened only for cleaning and maintenance. They require a special key also. On many of the ships, the divider isn't opened and removed, it's opened and then latched to the side of the ship, effectively blocking a good portion of that cabin's door. Frankly, I would consider that a safety issue. Can you imagine what would happen if one came loose while at sea? (Also, I've heard that aft balcony dividers can't even be opened for cleaning, etc. Don't know about that, but I've heard they are solid metal.)

beachchick

we are booked on the explorer in november. we have adjoining balcony cabins and were told the door would open to make one big balcony, so we could have cocktails and party all we wanted. when we're done, we can close and lock it for privacy. that's what we were told.

We were on the Explorer and had 8 cabins side by side and we were told the dividers can not be opened due to safety concerns.... also keep in mind that some balconies have steel walls(not moveable) on either side without the capability of opening. This type of walls adds extra privacy and they are random.

:eek: I am so disapointed When I booked our cruise for Jan I booked 2 GS and was told by my TA and RC the balcony door could be opened to join the 2 cabins. After seeing this post I decided to make another call to RC and was told by a customer service rep none of the balconies would be opened they did not want the passangers going from balcony to balcony. What would be the difference in walking from one end of the ship to the other on an open deck verses room decks? I am hoping the last rep I spoke to is incorrect. :D Renee

we are booked on the explorer in november. we have adjoining balcony cabins and were told the door would open to make one big balcony, so we could have cocktails and party all we wanted. when we're done, we can close and lock it for privacy. that's what we were told.

(beachchick here)

Sure, the connecting doors in the cabins themselves can be opened, but the balcony dividers will not be. And there's no way in heck that you could open them and then "lock it for privacy"--they require a special key that only the staff has access to, and only the captain can authorize it's use. BTW, the connecting doors inside the cabins will be unlocked at your request (by the cabin steward), but do not then lock; they only close for privacy. It's not like a hotel room with locks on both sides of the door.

Sorry, but you were given wrong information. If your TA told you this, he or she was absolutely incorrect. If RCI Customer Service told you this, well, they don't make those kind of rules on the ships. Those decisions are entirely at the discretion of the captains, who have decided that safety overrides our desire for open balcony dividers. (It's also a bit of CYA I think because those dividers do swing over and could be a true safety hazard if they came loose, especially while at sea.)

I feel for you. We've wanted to have the dividers opened in the past couple of years and have been told "no way."

beachchick

Archived