Anyone else cruise steerage class?

Travel solo twice a year. Balcony would be a big treat for me, solo usually go interior with no problems.

Alcohol minimum, but port excursions maximum and just do what entices me with little budget constraints. This all works out for me.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would rather cruise multiple times a year in an inside than once in a premium cabin. I also am not a cruiseline loyalist which frees me to choose cruses by price when all things are equal. I've done many guarantees with some results being great and the rest are fine. I am just happy to be onboard.

I would rather cruise multiple times a year in an inside than once in a premium cabin. I also am not a cruiseline loyalist which frees me to choose cruses by price when all things are equal. I've done many guarantees with some results being great and the rest are fine. I am just happy to be onboard.

Ditto on the cruise loyalty thing, we love trying a new line regularly.

The practice of different lines having a particular colour for first-time cruisers can be a bit annoying though. I've seen one or two comments about 'blue cards' before, treating us as though we're all inexperienced idiots. I'm well cruised, not as much as some but I don't want to be treated a certain way because of what colour card I have. Even genuine cruise-virgins don't deserve that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

We've always had insides so far. Sure, a balcony would be nice and I will take one if there is a really good deal but the inside cabin doesn't bother me at all. I usually spend some money on sodas and the occasional excursion but the kids drink lemonade/water and most of our excursions we did ourselves (not so much because of cost but just because it is easier with kids). No complaints here.

Just seeing if there are any other budget cruisers on here.

You know - have an interior cabin and charge very little to the on-board account during the cruise and use the shoe leather express to go exploring in the ports.

I'm with you. One of my biggest pleasures in planning our cruise is seeing how low I can get the cost. Except for tips (and I am generous there), there is rarely any charge on my bill.

I could pay more and travel less, but that's not my style.

Happy sails.

Kathy

We are thrifty and we are still paying for 4 at peak prices due to kids school. I like interior cabins because for once I don't have to wake up with the sun. This year on the allure we booked 2 separate rooms for us and the kids in central park view only because it was cheaper than all 4 of us in one interior room. I will say we blow some money on independently booked excursions. For us, we would rather have an inside cabin but book all day more private excursions where we arent herded like cattle for a few hours. It is just a personal choice. I've never had the pull to book a balcony and if I do, im going to really blow it out with a suite vs a regular or at least do it when I have time to sit out there and enjoy it. I also try to be as frugal as possible on every vacation because I want to take as many vacations as possible rather than blow it out on one. I will say that when my kids are gone and I can cruise non peak times, I might feel very differently about bookong balconies and suites. I will also note that sometimes being frugal is fun. Weird, maybe....but I am a hotwire and priceline addict as well. I don't extreme coupon but Im the girl who will also sign up for a credit card for the crazy sign up bonus airline miles they give and then go on another fun vacation with it. I am like this whether we are having a great year money wise or a not so great year. It is just fun.

Debbie

Sent from my Iphone 7

Just seeing if there are any other budget cruisers on here.

You know - have an interior cabin and charge very little to the on-board account during the cruise and use the shoe leather express to go exploring in the ports.

I'll not begrudge those discussing staying in the best royal suites and luxury balcony cabins, or having the ability to pay for unlimited internet and all the excursions. Enjoy yourselves.

But are there any others in steerage, or are we the only ones dancing a jig to a merry fiddle player? ;)

I like your title. We've done inside and balcony when price was good with C&A discount and realize we don't really use the balcony that much but nice to have. I just booked the Grandeur in an inside on deck 2 for 10 night western for a very good price. Just remember you can cruise more booking "steerage":)

We cruise frugally just like we live frugally!

We live in a very nice, larger home only because we had a huge downpayment from the sale of our first home many years ago that doubled in price over the 5 years we lived there! We most often book insides but will splurge on an aft balcony if we book really early and it is a special cruise. I will not pay for a regular balcony..just not enough bang for my buck! It has to be a roomy aft or hump!

We rarely go out to eat at home and are happy with the MDR on ships. We may splurge to celebrate a special occasion especially if our TA gives us some OBC to spend! We drink lots of water and ice tea, so no need for the soda or booze packages. We usually have one drink onboard for sailaway but otherwise save our drinking for the ports when we can try their great beers and then we only have one or two.

We always book private excursions though we will splurge on excursions if it is really enticing! We are not shoppers and prefer to spend our days face down in the water! We bought our own snorkel equipment from our SIL who works at a dive shop so no need to rent equipment. Our next cruise stops in Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Grenada, St Lucia and Antigua. We are splurging on trikes in Aruba, but the rest of the days are snorkel days for $10-$30 pp except Antigua where we will skip the beach and take the $1.50 bus to Nelson's dockyard! We didn't mean to be cheap but the most appealing excursions were beaches!

It is all about priorities. We want to cruise twice a year if at all possible so the second cruise is out of the East coast where we can drive 12 hours to get to port! We are paying for our two kids college so every spare dollar goes to them. They will be in school for 6 and 8 years and we do not want them to have huge debt when they get out. We still put a lot away for retirement. We do not have brand new cars, in fact the least mileage is over 100,000 miles! I wear scrubs to work and have minimal clothes in my closet except for my nice cruise outfits! I do not need material things that clutter my life, though I never hesitate to buy a nice travel book or a great camera!

I have great friends who are totally the opposite of me and I admire their homes, cars and beautiful clothes but they do not vacation like we do and that is their priority!

Save on!

Lauri

Edited by lah66

I will also note that sometimes being frugal is fun. Weird, maybe....but I am a hotwire and priceline addict as well. I don't extreme coupon but Im the girl who will also sign up for a credit card for the crazy sign up bonus airline miles they give and then go on another fun vacation with it. I am like this whether we are having a great year money wise or a not so great year. It is just fun.

Sounds like me. It's a game - a challenge.:D

Kathy

We have been cruising since 1976 and our preferred cabin is low, mid-ship and inside. I always joke that someday the cruise lines will realize that savy cruisers know that is the best place to be for quiet and for less motion in the event of rough seas and charge a premium for the cabins.

We have been upgraded to a balcony from an inside cabin and didn't like or use the balcony. The second time it happened(found out at check in) we raised a fuss as we had the reservation marked no upgrade and really didn't want a balcony cabin on an upper deck and aft. We managed to come to a compromise after dealing with a shore manager and the ship hotel head.

I am with you as steerage. I have to have at least an ocean view or balcony, because I get easily claustrophobic in an inside cabin. I just finished a cruise and I had a negative balance. I bought nothing. I prepaid a drink package. I ended using some shoe leather in Cozumel and I enjoyed the drinks and food I had already paid for on Brilliance. I did have a E2 balcony and glad to walk out and get air when we were in some seas. I did have to check email and phone in Mexico to check on my very geriatric dog. I have Mexico on my plan. You are not alone.

It was a tad cute that one of my dinner partners was getting a little rattled, because the ship was rocking some in the seas we were in, and she goes Jack was on deck 3. I said sweetie there are no icebergs from here to Tampa Brilliance is taking it like a champ and enjoy the ride. I also think on top of it she had 2 days of too much sun.

No I am a budget cruiser I do get a ocean view only because I travel alone and I feel safer I know it is not logical. We used to have a thrifty thread on here I wonder what happened? :confused:

I have cruised in several oceanviews and a balcony(waste of money for me) but generally do interior because I travel solo so pay that 200%. However, I do spend money on board for purchases in the shops, excursions , a photo or two and some drinks so don't really fit in the same category as some "budget cruisers". I don't feel deprived sailing in an interior for those who worry that it is somehow "sub standard". The purchases I make add to the enjoyment of my holiday.