Question about kid's programs

What, if any, are the guidelines for tipping the youth counselors? I could find nothing on the RCI website, but I am certain that I will want to tip this hard-working staff.

Anyone have experience in this area?

Barb

They are not part of the staff that falls into the tipping guidelines. You can tip them at your discretion. I personally have not tipped the staff... but I know others have. It is completly up to you. I am not sure about this... but I think any tips that they receive they are supposed to pool between them.

I just experienced this same dilema!

We went to the customer relations desk to ask what they suggest near the end of our cruise. (We had 4 kids in the club, they had an absolute ball because of these counselors). They convinced us that it "wasn't necessary" and is not often done by anyone.

On the last night, we go to get our kids and there's tip envelopes stacked up on the desk. I felt foolish that I wasn't prepared. I felt these people had done SOOOO much more for me than the Maitre de in the dining room and WE WERE TOLD TO TIP HIM!

When I asked the counselors they told me that they have to eat the same food week after week on the ship so the big thing for them is to hit a port and go out for meals. They often pool the $$$ and go to a restaurant.

I could tell you the same thing that the other poster did... it's up to you but I don't believe that. These kids are some of the hardest working people on the ship and they DESERVE your tip. Of course, this is just my small opinion! LOL

I hadn't actually even thought of this. I am glad someone brought it

up. I will have to add this to my list of tips. Has anyone else ever

tipped the counslers? How much should we give? I will be going

next year and my son will be 8 at the time.

Thanks,

Kim

I ALWAYS tip the Adventure Ocean staff. I usually ask my son who has been taking care of him the most. I then give them $20 and another $20 for "the gang". Considering babysitters down here charge $6-$8 per hour, I just got away cheap. More importantly, they are the reason I cruise with RCI. The superiority of the children's program is what keeps me cruising with them.

I have actually had counselors who remember my son, by name, from one cruise to the next!

Jersey Girl - Have a great time! We are planning on the Freedom for 10/1/06. Your child will have a fabulous time. If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask.

I asked this question back on July 20th (I know how to do a search and get my posts but don't know how to get it for you and post it here) and had numerous replies. If you can do a search for "patpav" this might help. Sorry, somewhat computer illiterate.

Patty

I ALWAYS tip the Adventure Ocean staff. I usually ask my son who has been taking care of him the most. I then give them $20 and another $20 for "the gang". Considering babysitters down here charge $6-$8 per hour, I just got away cheap. More importantly, they are the reason I cruise with RCI. The superiority of the children's program is what keeps me cruising with them.

I have actually had counselors who remember my son, by name, from one cruise to the next!

As a natrually stingy person I would say you have paid alot of money to go on the ship and to pay the crews wages and why should you tip the AO staff unless they have gone above and beyond the call of duty, its up to you but from my point of view it seems slightly strange. just my opinion

I understand how you feel. The AO staff could "just" do their jobs (and I have seen some of them do just that), but we have had the pleasure of dealing with people who make your children feel loved and fun and important and .... (well you know what I mean) We have run into them in Port and put their own day off aside to play with my son. I could go on and on.

I tip these people because they go over and above. I respect your preference not to tip. I just receive joy in sharing my pleasure in their service. Thanks for joining the discussion.

My kids were in the 12-15 group on Enchantment in July. The kids loved the group leader and he was actually very good at keeping them organized and interested in going back. We gave him $40 on the last day.

Here's patpav's thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=207684

My kids never went to AO - I waited to take them cruising until they were 14 & 16. :) On these boards, however, several people have posted that the counselors ASKED FOR and were MOST excited about receiving bottles of booze. (perhaps mothers can relate to this............:D)

As a natrually stingy person I would say you have paid alot of money to go on the ship and to pay the crews wages and why should you tip the AO staff unless they have gone above and beyond the call of duty, its up to you but from my point of view it seems slightly strange. just my opinion

I have every expectation that the AO staff WILL go above and beyond. If they don't, I certainly won't tip them.

Thanks to EVERYONE for your input. I will try doing a search per Patty's suggestion and, should they live up to expectations, tip the "primary" caregivers and "the gang" per the rest of you.

Thanks again!!!:D

Barb

We tipped them. I didn't plan to. It wasn't in the expected tip literature I had read beforehand. However... they went so far above and beyond... that we left them a tip. I also was told that they pool the tips. I say... base it on your experience with them. If they are outstanding... leave them something. If not... no worries. My kids wrote them a Thank you note too. AO is the one huge reason we will cruise with RCCL again.

. I'll have to ask my husband how to do that. Patty

All you have to do is click on your own name and it will bring up a screen that asks if you want to access all your posts or just the threads you started. Click on either one and you've got it. You can either click on your name as part of a post or down at the bottom of a thread where it shows who is logged on. Easy and very useful :D .

Thank you ShamrockFL. I clicked on my name and got all my posts now how do I get the post I want to show up on someone else's thread? (Like you posted the comment about "asking my husband showing me" in your post?)

Patty

Thank you ShamrockFL. I clicked on my name and got all my posts now how do I get the post I want to show up on someone else's thread? (Like you posted the comment about "asking my husband showing me" in your post?)

I presume you mean like I'm showing your message above here- yes? If so, all you have to do is click on "Quote" to reply to a message. That brings up the previous poster's message before you start your response. Then if their's is a long message and you don't want to show all of it, just highlight the portion you don't want (left click your mouse and drag it across the text you don't want) and press delete. Just like in a Word document. Type your own message as you normally would beneath it. Hope this helps.:D

I presume you mean like I'm showing your message above here- yes? If so, all you have to do is click on "Quote" to reply to a message. That brings up the previous poster's message before you start your response. Then if their's is a long message and you don't want to show all of it, just highlight the portion you don't want (left click your mouse and drag it across the text you don't want) and press delete. Just like in a Word document. Type your own message as you normally would beneath it. Hope this helps.:D

Thank you again! I hope this works.

Patty

Archived