Seattle Ferry - across the sound

Kittybork

on the return trip you only pay for the car and driver.

It would help to know your plans as there might be other options, ie drive around the Sound using the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

We don't really have a plan at this point. We're trying to formulate one.

I was told by a co-worker that the view from the ferry and the island across the sound that the view of Wash. St. is magnificent.

I was just trying to figure out if it would be feasible and affordable.

We live in Seattle and I can tell you that, even for locals, the trip to any of the islands across the sound IS magnificent. Plenty of people just walk on, ferry across, have lunch, and ferry back. You feel wonderfully away from it all and both rested and stimulated all at once!

We live in Seattle and I can tell you that, even for locals, the trip to any of the islands across the sound IS magnificent. Plenty of people just walk on, ferry across, have lunch, and ferry back. You feel wonderfully away from it all and both rested and stimulated all at once!

That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks so much!

We were thinking of going to Bainbridge on the ferry on July 4th....yikes!

Is there food within a reasonable walking distance to have lunch? My friend is having some knee problems and in case it is not completely resolved by then, we may need to relook at some of our plans. I already checked and the yarn store I wanted to visit is closed on the 4th - darn it. My souvenir plan was local yarn

We don't really have a plan at this point. We're trying to formulate one.

I was told by a co-worker that the view from the ferry and the island across the sound that the view of Wash. St. is magnificent.

I was just trying to figure out if it would be feasible and affordable.

You only need a car if you're planning to go somewhere when you get to the other side. Since all you want is the view, just board the ferry as foot passengers. It's much convenient to walk-on, than have to wait in a long line with a car and maybe even be denied boarding if the boat is full.

You can go to Bremerton or Bainbridge. I'd choose Bremerton because it's stays closer to the shore along West Seattle. There are several resident bald eagles over there so watch for them. (they look like golf balls in a tree)

Another option ... ride the water taxi from the ferry dock to Alki Beach in West Seattle. It provides the same magnificent view of the Seattle skyline. The taxi docks next to Saltys Restaurant if you want to stop in for a drink and appetizers while enjoying the view.

When we were at Saltys at the end of March the trees were still bare so we could see the eagle's nest across the street. Several seals were resting on a buoy and they later came over to the pier to check us out. There are other restaurants along Alki Beach besides Saltys.

Here's info on the water taxi. The link also shows several skyline views.

http://kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi.aspx

You only need a car if you're planning to go somewhere when you get to the other side. Since all you want is the view, just board the ferry as foot passengers. It's much convenient to walk-on, than have to wait in a long line with a car and maybe even be denied boarding if the boat is full.

You can go to Bremerton or Bainbridge. I'd choose Bremerton because it's stays closer to the shore along West Seattle. There are several resident bald eagles over there so watch for them. (they look like golf balls in a tree)

Another option ... ride the water taxi from the ferry dock to Alki Beach in West Seattle. It provides the same magnificent view of the Seattle skyline. The taxi docks next to Saltys Restaurant if you want to stop in for a drink and appetizers while enjoying the view.

When we were at Saltys at the end of March the trees were still bare so we could see the eagle's nest across the street. Several seals were resting on a buoy and they later came over to the pier to check us out. There are other restaurants along Alki Beach besides Saltys.

Thanks, that's something more to consider. While the eagles wouldn't be very exotic for us, they live in our neighborhoods too, the seals would be a treat!

Another option ... ride the water taxi from the ferry dock to Alki Beach in West Seattle. It provides the same magnificent view of the Seattle skyline. The taxi docks next to Saltys Restaurant if you want to stop in for a drink and appetizers while enjoying the view...

...There are other restaurants along Alki Beach besides Saltys.

Marination Ma Kai is right on the dock where the water taxi lands, and their deck is a great place to enjoy their Korean/Hawaiian/Mexican fusion food, and maybe a beer. Salty's is a short walk; much more a sit-down place (fairly high priced, but the view is worth it for a special occasion.) On a good day you can see Mt. Rainier above Salty's when looking from the water taxi pier.

View from (next to) the pier -

20091226_31a.JPG

Salty's and Mt. Rainier

20091226_30a.JPG

OMGOMG I can not wait - 54 days and I'll be in Seattle.

i know, i'm a goober....but I have never really done anything for me. My kid just turned 24 and all of that time I have been mom [single mom at that]

I did a good job of it, but its time for me to relax and enjoy the world. I'm starting with a cruise!