What one thing...?

fitsea

On my last cruise (which was my 6th) I took a small mess shower caddy (the kind that hangs over the showerhead and has a bunch of small pockets)... bought on Amazon for around $5 and an over-the-door shoerack from the dollarstore. Both of these will now FOREVER be with me when I cruise!!! They take up VERY little space when packed but give you tons of extra space in the cabin and really help organize little things. If you use the over-the-door shoerack, be sure to bring some of those Command hooks (the hangers on the rack itself are a little big for most bathroom doors, so you need to use these hooks (but they won't leave a mark when you remove them, so you should be "safe")

Melissa

Appreciate your brother's tip but you should know that most passengers would certainly have gone looking for their bag were it not delivered to the cabin by say, oh, 8:00 pm. There was absolutely no reason your brother needed to be without his bag for three days.

Brother was on honeymoon. Probably didn't think to get dressed for three days and then found bags missing. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I take an over the door clear plastic shoe holder with all of the little pockets and it is absolutely great for everything from make-up, combs, camera, sunscreen, glasses, etc. It really keeps me organized and its easier to find things instead of digging through drawers or suitcases! A pop up clothes hamper is great too, then you don't have to stick dirty clothes back into a suitcase. Binoculars for the mornings you are out on deck to catch the dolphins! An alarm clock not to wake you up but to see the time in the middle of the night if you wake up because the rooms can be pretty dark. And make sure a couple of people in your group have watches, I know our son and his girlfriend don't wear them because they are use to carrying their phones everywhere but on vacation they didn't carry their phones and were always having to ask what time it was, especially to make it back to the ship on time! If you plan on ice skating you will need socks. When our son was younger and it was our first cruise I didnt even think about socks and I just packed him sandals and boat shoes (worn without socks!) and he was so disappointed he couldn't skate on the ship. And seriously only take about half of the clothes you think you need! Somedays we were on the beach all day and didnt change out of our bathing suits and cover ups until dinner! :D

The only thing I wished I had was an electrical cord that provided extra outlets. With three young women in the room we need more than the one provided at the vanity. And this was before everyone had cell phones, IPads, etc...

Edited by chachi
Spelling

Biggest regret of what I forgot was the CORRECT charger to my GoPro! Turns out I brought a charger that looked like it but wasn't it. So out on our snorkeling excursion I go to turn it on and the batteries are dead. How could that be? I charged it last night. Wrong charger=no charge! Missed out on pics of crystal clear water and ginormous coral in Belize. :( Meanwhile a group of guys on our boat all had their GoPros turned on and ready to go. Never making that mistake again!

I'm also a big advocate of packing light. The two if us can do a 21" carryon and one backpack each for a 2 week vacay. Just do some laundry halfway thru on a sea day. No biggie. Less to pack, means less time unpacking, and less time repacking when time to go home!

Edited by whataboutport

Great post! Will be paring down clothing I am looking at taking... no matter what trip I do on I don't wear it all!

Going on my first cruise in 10 years and here is something I packed in my first aid baggy I didn't see listed. Temporary dental repair kit! Sure kind of hard to find a dentist out there. Learned this one from experience! :eek:

On our third cruise we knew we couldn't depend on our cell phones for the time so we planned to bring our watches. However, when I got them out the night before we left, the batteries in all three were dead since we hadn't worn them in so long.

We bought two of the cheapie ($10) watches the ship sells and were very pleasantly surprised by how well they kept time and how long the batteries lasted.

So I don't worry as much about having a watch now but do, as PPs have suggested, always bring whatever OTC medications I can possibly think of. There's not much of a selection on board, they're expensive, and you can waste valuable port time trying to find what you need.