what do you do with your gear during snorkeling

I was wondering what do people do with their belongs while snorkeling, ...not having done this I have no idea. I presume it is not safe just to leave them on the beach.

Karen

dont take anything of value with you ashore and ask your fellow passengers can they keep an eye on your stuff

dont take anything of value with you ashore and ask your fellow passengers can they keep an eye on your stuff

I presume that you have to take passports and some cash if you want to buy lunch or a drink.

We don't take many belongs with us when we go ashore in the islands (depending on which island we go to that day.)

Like if we are at Mystery islands, Isle of Pines etc..., we just take a bag that has all our snorkel gear in it, with towels for us, some water, a small first ad kit (Just in case we get a cut etc..), and our cameras are water proof (Plus with have spare batteries for the cameras) and a small amount of money (In case we want to buy a drink etc..).

If you don’t have a water proof camera, put your camera at the bottom of the bag and put your towels etc… on top of it.

We have left our bag on the beach on just about all the South Pacific islands P&O & Carnival go to, and we have had no problems.

Just make sure your bag does not stand out too much! (Mind you our bag was red!!), but you can still see it from the water while your snorkelling.

Hope this helps :)

I presume that you have to take passports

You don't need to your passports ashore with you on any of the South Pacific islands.

(The only exception to this is Noumea, some times they ask you to take it with you, but we have been to Noumea over 4 times now, and have never needed it!)

Most locations you won't need your passport in the pacific.

We only take our cabin passes, towels, water and enough money for food and souvenir shopping.

I also slip my work photo pass into a separate area of my backpack for ID purposes if our cabin passes go missing as a back up!

I agree with rkmw....ask fellow passengers to keep an eye on it, but make sure you come back onshore every so often. Don't rely on others to mind belongings all day. The most important thing is your sea pass. Have that down the bottom of your bag. My DH had the unfortunate event of losing his sea pass in Vietnam a couple of weeks ago (doh!!). It was quite a long drama getting back onto the ship in a foreign port. No need to take passports onshore in Sth Pacific. They are safer left in safe for entire cruise. This alone is your proof of sailing if sea pass does get stolen/lost.

You can also buy waterproof bags of varying sizes - we have one that will take the camera/phones etc and just goes over my shoulder and around my neck and trails along beside! We also have a smaller one that will take the cruisecard etc and phone and a few dollars! I usually go over the top and stick my phone in a zip lock bag just to be doubly sure! I personally would never leave my passport unattended.

yep, just take ashore essentials. we just hid purse well in the bag. I took $$$$ camera and just left in bag, under towel. there is always someone close by to keep an eye on things. snorkelling places tend to be full of ship goers so all in the same boat so to speak.

1. Leave your passport in the safe in your cabin
  2. Invest in a waterproof pouch that will hold your ships card, drivers licence and cash
  3. Invest in a waterproof camera, not only do you not have to worry about it but it is fun to have happy snaps of your snorkelling
  4. Only leave on the beach stuff that if stolen will not ruin your cruise, ie cheap bag, ships towels, water bottle
  5. Do this and you have a worry free day

After a previous cruise to the South Pacific where we were always worried about what to do with our bits and bobs, we did what I listed above on our last trip and it was liberating. Just purchased an inexpensive waterproof camera and while not the quality of our expensive DSLR we nevertheless had decent enough photos of our day.

1. Leave your passport in the safe in your cabin
  2. Invest in a waterproof pouch that will hold your ships card, drivers licence and cash
  3. Invest in a waterproof camera, not only do you not have to worry about it but it is fun to have happy snaps of your snorkelling
  4. Only leave on the beach stuff that if stolen will not ruin your cruise, ie cheap bag, ships towels, water bottle
  5. Do this and you have a worry free day

I completely agree with the above. This is what I do and have never had to worry about security, just concentrated on enjoying the islands. It is a good 5 point list, should be put in the daily newsletter on each ship.:)