Nervous that I won't fit in

Hi

Don't know if this is the right forum to post this in -anyway..

My mum and dad have booked our first ever cruise on a Cunard ship on 18th July for 21 days. Its a cruise around the Med and although I am looking forward to seeing all the different destinations I am nervous about the formality of cruises

As my parents and I have never cruised before we don't know what to expect.

Probably all silly questions I know for experienced cruisers however I would really appreciate advise on the following:

1. How much luggage can you take. its a 21 day cruise from Livorno, Italy and I was wondering how much I need to pack for three weeks

2. What would I be expected to wear on formal and semi formal nights. Can you get away with most things as long as they look smart

3. What would I wear on informal nights

4. Will there be much for someone my age (I am 16) to do on board ship. Will there be many my age on board. I don't really want to hang out with my parents all the time and they probably want their space anyway

Thanks everyone for any help you can give

Jules :)

Hi Jules,

I'll be a first time cruiser later this year too. So while I can't really tell you what it will be like, I think there are always lots of people cruising for the first time, so you will fit in with them! :)

There are so many activities to do on a cruise ship, so I think there will be lots of opportunities for you to do your own thing and not have to hang out with your parents the entire time. I suspect you'll find others your age on the cruise...but if not, treat it as a rare opportunity to do something that your friends/peers haven't done...I'm quite sure they will all want to hear about the experience when you're back home.

As a teen, I'm sure you get to spend a lot of your life wondering if you fit in (I'm in my late 30's and I STILL feel that way sometimes, LOL...but I felt it every day when I was a teen). This cruise is your vacation from everyday life and worrying about such things...you will probably never see any of those people again after the cruise, so enjoy the freedom to just be yourself and not worry about what they think. :)

I hope you have a wonderful time! From one new cruiser to another, enjoy every second of the journey!

Cunard is a very unique and formal cruise line, much like cruising was 100 years ago. They even have a "class" system.

Formal wear is required every evening after 6. The rules are lessoned for kids, but honestly you will look quite foolish in casual wear while everyone else is in tuxes and gowns. ;)

Bring a lot of books if adult conversation and activities aren't your thing. There probably won't be a lot of people your age onboard.

You may want to post this on the Cunard board or find your roll call to get other opinions. You'll have fun regardless, don't worry about fitting in. Worry about having a good time. :)

Oh sweetie! Don't worry. While I've never traveled on Cunard before it might make you feel better to know that I too wondered if I'd fit in on my first cruise. And I'm not anywhere near 16. ;) It's been 5 more cruise since that first one and I can't wait to do another. There should be some activities on board that you can participate in. If nothing else, enjoy feeliing like a princess and traveling the world! I hope you have a wonderful trip!!!:)

Hi Jules:) I have never sailed Cunard but from what I have read and

heard, it is quite formal.

You might want to post the question over on the Cunard forum as well.

You are a lucky young lady though:)......cruising for 3 weeks at 16:D

Hope you and your parents have a wonderful time!

I believe the OP is in her late 30's. I have nothing to add. Just saying.

Oh...I am re-reading her post and #4 says:

"Will there be much for someone my age (I am 16) to do on board ship. Will there be many my age on board. I don't really want to hang out with my parents all the time and they probably want their space anyway"

Looks like she is 16........just sayin:D

Yes! I read chargergrlk and thought it was OP! I even read it twice! My bad!

No problem:).....I thought maybe I was wrong but then I went back

and read it again too. She is a very lucky young lady:)

When I was 16? I went to sleep away camp up in the Mountains

of Georiga....it was alot of fun but it was not a cruise for 3 weeks;)

Cunard is a very unique and formal cruise line, much like cruising was 100 years ago. They even have a "class" system.

Formal wear is required every evening after 6. The rules are lessoned for kids, but honestly you will look quite foolish in casual wear while everyone else is in tuxes and gowns. ;)

Bring a lot of books if adult conversation and activities aren't your thing. There probably won't be a lot of people your age onboard.

You may want to post this on the Cunard board or find your roll call to get other opinions. You'll have fun regardless, don't worry about fitting in. Worry about having a good time. :)

Hi Lerin. No, formal wear is not required every evening. If interested, accurate information regarding the dress codes can be found here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

There is also a "Teen Zone" on board Cunard ships, so while bringing a lot of books is a good idea for all of us, there are other activities available :)

As far as there being a 'class system' - like any other cruise line, the more spacious accommodations/perks do cost more. Some airlines offer first class accommodations - I suppose that could also be called a 'class system'?

Edited by Salacia

Jules,

I believe you will figure it all out by following the the link that the poster above me has provided for you. It is understandable that you would be nervous about your first ever cruise. I can tell you not to worry, but you will anyway. ;)

I agree with other posters that said to check out the Cunard board and go to your roll call for your ship and date of cruising. You'll be able to see what others are doing and be able to ask if anyone your age is also cruising. If you don't get much info, just remember that not everyone on your cruise will be on these Cruise Critic boards.

I wish you and your family an amazing time. I took my first cruise with a girlfriend when I was 19. We had a fabulous time! It got me hooked on cruising and at 67 years old...I'm still cruising. My DS started cruising with the DH and I when he was 9, he's 18 going on 19 now and loves cruising just as much as me!:D

I believe the OP is in her late 30's. I have nothing to add. Just saying.

Oops, sorry if mentioning my age in my reply to the OP confused others. I just wanted the OP to know she is not alone in wondering if she'll fit in. That's a normal reaction to have, certainly at 16, but even much later in life if you're new to a given experience.

Jules,

You have been given some wonderful advice by these ladies. There are some very wise ladies on this board.

I personally have not been on Cunard, and I wonder at 62 if I would fit in...I think that is just natural..even more so for a teen.

Do as much research on the Cunard boards as possible...but the most important thing is to have a wonderful time on your cruise. What an experience at 16..you will have so many wonderful memories.:)