Getaway Review - We Are Back !!

even sadder about the bench seating at the Illusionarium. I pictured chairs. Oh well. Better to be forewarned.

Nora

I'm not sure where there was bench seating in the Illusionarium, all the tables we saw were individual chairs. Although there were no individual tables for parties of 2, you would have been sat with others. Here is a picture from my vantage point

20140503_201718.jpg

The show was phenomenal, well worth the price itself, the food was good as well, but I did feel it sometimes was a distraction from the show.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Enjoying your review. I just wanted to throw in a comment about Anoop - I have no idea how he does it. I actually believe he has a few clones. He was our concierge on Epic and every time I turned around, he was there and helping everyone with everything. We called him the Ninja - he would swoop in, solve problems, swoop out - like a ninja. And all with a smile and professionalism. Amazing.

Loved the ramble!

Yes and he is very low key too. He does not fawn all over you but will make sure every request is granted!

I'm afraid we love our privacy

As do we all.

keep our "privacy issues" at the back of your mind.

Alrighty.

I faked an untied shoelace and eavesdropped on the following brief conversation

But you just said...

I secretly videoed him and if I pluck up the courage I may post his semi-lucid ravings on YouTube.

So yeah, you clearly have "privacy issues". It seems you can't stop invading the privacy of those around you.

As do we all.

Alrighty.

But you just said...

So yeah, you clearly have "privacy issues". It seems you can't stop invading the privacy of those around you.

Wow...there is always someone who had to stir the pot. Interesting that this is a. 4 time poster. :mad:

OP- I have very much enjoyed your review! I am very glad we booked the Haven and will be deck 16 forward. I also appreciate your honesty and style of writing. We too like our privacy sometimes so I can understand your points on that.

Lovely review. Glad you and DW found each other and enjoy your privacy together... Although I imagine she's not on cruise critic to read about you fawning over Haven crew. I'm surprised she didn't send you off to be private all by yourself for the rest of the cruise. :p :p :p

Edited by kylenyc

but he did want to explain to us where the "N word" originated from and delighted in using it more than a rapper's convention. I secretly videoed him and if I pluck up the courage I may post his semi-lucid ravings on YouTube.

And you would put it on YouTube why?????:eek:

And the benefit would be what?????:confused:

I'm not sure where there was bench seating in the Illusionarium, all the tables we saw were individual chairs. Although there were no individual tables for parties of 2, you would have been sat with others. Here is a picture from my vantage point

20140503_201718.jpg

The show was phenomenal, well worth the price itself, the food was good as well, but I did feel it sometimes was a distraction from the show.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I just saw this pic in your other thread- thought it was from the Benadryl I took!

Perhaps photos will better illustrate my point. Epic utilizes numerous atriums spaces throughout to create an illusion of openness.

DSC_4212_zpsb8f2aad9.jpg

Stylish? Perhaps. Inefficient? Definitely. A lot of the space sacrificed for these features reduces potential corridor space. Epic is infamous for her bottlenecking problems around these atriums as they impede passenger flow. Take for instance this atrium between deck 6 and deck 7. Although the impression of space is impressive, the feature eliminates half of the potential corridor space, and creates significant problems near the forward elevators during high traffic periods.

DSC_4257_zps40dadf13.jpg

But isn’t it worth it to have stunning atrium views…looking down upon slot machines? :D

DSC_4216_zpsc6cca8f5.jpg

NCL specifically took into account Epic’s passenger flow shortcomings in designing Breakaway. For the most part, the atriums have been eliminated in favor of long, interrupted corridors that do a much better job of moving passengers around with less crowding.

DSC_2426_zpseaefe939.jpg

Perhaps NCL’s recent unwillingness to engage in visual illusions of spaciousness over substantive passenger flow concerns is disagreeable to some. They are certainly free to feel that way about the issue, but I happened to belong to the form should follow function school of thought. Anything less is poor design.

DSC_2592_zps2a08a3b1.jpg

Did you meet Bong?

1. I looked for Bong at the Sunset Bar but only saw a different bartender.

On 4/19 cruise Bong was in Sugarcane Mojito Bar pretty much every night we were there* - he was a blast!

*) I love mojitos, too bad that NCL isn't too good with them on other ships (on Dawn week after we were able to get only one, the original mojito), there were times of mojito tastings etc earlier - hopefully they step up again after the success of Sugarcane..

On 4/19 cruise Bong was in Sugarcane Mojito Bar pretty much every night we were there* - he was a blast!

*) I love mojitos, too bad that NCL isn't too good with them on other ships (on Dawn week after we were able to get only one, the original mojito), there were times of mojito tastings etc earlier - hopefully they step up again after the success of Sugarcane..

Yes - we were there often. I learned some magic tricks, too!

Nice review

Curious if you did any research on Getaway before booking. You sounded disappointed by the ship and no atriums, etc. I cant imagine how fussy the concierge must have thought you were because you had to sit with other passengers to watch a magic show. Anoop gives you pick of the litter seating and it is chairs not benches. But to each their own.

Personally, I don't think that's very nice! :o He went to great lengths to point out his personal privacy issues and to make it very clear that his review was just that...HIS...drawn from his perspective.

I enjoyed the review, as someone about to embark in the Haven a week from Saturday. And since I enjoy my privacy at times, am very appreciative of his particular POV. So thank you.

And now I know not to expect "penthousiness" in my upgraded small balcony accommodation (the apparently ill-named penthouse suite, 15122). Despite that, I know I will have a grand time in a couple of weeks.

Also, who can't appreciate that great writing style. Thank you.

Deleted. Nvm.

I read your post before you edited it. I'm assuming someone filled you in. If not, you're missing out on terribly bland and typical story of a CC discussion that needlessly enraged a member for all of the wrong reasons. I, of course, welcome further discussion on the matter with more level-headed members who do not take criticisms of argument personally. Such fragility is tiresome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Personally, I don't think that's very nice! :o He went to great lengths to point out his personal privacy issues and to make it very clear that his review was just that...HIS...drawn from his perspective.

I enjoyed the review, as someone about to embark in the Haven a week from Saturday. And since I enjoy my privacy at times, am very appreciative of his particular POV. So thank you.

And now I know not to expect "penthousiness" in my upgraded small balcony accommodation (the apparently ill-named penthouse suite, 15122). Despite that, I know I will have a grand time in a couple of weeks.

Also, who can't appreciate that great writing style. Thank you.

I am sorry you feel that way but I meant no offense. I strongly believe that if someone posts wrong or false information that it should be corrected so others don't get bad information. There are no bench picnic tables at the show. And another CC member correctly pointed that out. There are nice chairs! Was it not nice to do that? I think it is wrong to tell people wrong information. And the concierge would let you sit ANYWHERE you wanted to.

I was not going to bring it up but since you did, the privacy stuff is a bit creepy. I am a very private person and the OP can be private too. It is fine not to want to sit with people. But as someone else pointed out, the OP went to great lengths to listen in on private conversations, film people without their permission, etc. Can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot? I think it is fair to point that out.

That is why I say, to each their own. I still think it is fussy for you and your wife to get all dress up and to storm out of show because the tables are together. I bet that does not happen too often.

Edited by Sara_smile

I am sorry you feel that way but I meant no offense. I strongly believe that if someone posts wrong or false information that it should be corrected so others don't get bad information. There is no bench picnic tables at the show. And another CC member correctly pointed that out. Was it not nice to do that? I think it is wrong to tell people wrong information.

I was not going to bring it up but since you did, the privacy stuff is a bit creepy. I am a very private person and the OP can be private too. It is fine not to want to sit with people. But as someone else pointed out, the OP went to great lengths to listen in on private conversations, film people without their permission, etc. Can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot? I think it is fair to point that out.

That is why I say, to each their own. I still think it is fussy for you and your wife to get all dress up and to storm out of show because the tables are together. I bet that does not happen too often.

I think he meant that people sit together as you would at a picnic table. I don't think he meant there was literally a bench. That's how I took it.

I think he meant that people sit together as you would at a picnic table. I don't think he meant there was literally a bench. That's how I took it.

"All we saw was bench seating at glorified picnic tables" (exact quote)

I still think it is fine to point out this is not correct especially coming from the person who refused to attend the show.

"All we saw was bench seating at glorified picnic tables" (exact quote)

I still think it is fine to point out this is not correct especially coming from the person who refused to attend the show.

Thank you - I'm aware of what he said :)

After a few days of "read only" mode I cannot resist anymore and I feel the desperate need to make some points in here.

At first I read his report with great interest, as I was on the Getaway myself just a week before, and we truly enjoyed not only the ship, but also the Haven. I share his opinion on the very good qualities of Anoop and Flor who is indeed a quiet, polite, small lady, providing excellent service (our in-suite dining order, consisting multiple items, was delivered within 15 mins of calling her, for example).

What I feel that needs to be pointed out is the somewhat misleading opinions and presentations of certain facts. Let me put it this way: if you feel that you did not get a table good enough in a restaurant (like the scene he describes with regard LeBistro) then you open your mouth and request for a table that suits your need better. Instead, he went on cancelling all his planned speciality dinings, which is at least a bit strange...

I feel sorry for him judging at first sight (we have a saing about that....), and escaping from the Illusionarium without giving it a chance. He and his wife missed a lot, I can tell you. The place is nice, the food is great - opposed to what you hear from some nagging people - and the service is fine. But most of all, it is a great show!!! And while we were there, a number of people were seated together, but it just seemed to work fine....

But again, he decided otherwise, and that does not make his review better....

We are different people with different views and opinions. IMHO, some of his statements would indeed deserve a bit of counselling. If I want to have (and enforce) some privacy so desperately, then I would not opt having a vacation on a 4000 guest ship where the chances of bumping into other people are - let's face it - quite high....

After a few days of "read only" mode I cannot resist anymore and I feel the desperate need to make some points in here.

At first I read his report with great interest, as I was on the Getaway myself just a week before, and we truly enjoyed not only the ship, but also the Haven. I share his opinion on the very good qualities of Anoop and Flor who is indeed a quiet, polite, small lady, providing excellent service (our in-suite dining order, consisting multiple items, was delivered within 15 mins of calling her, for example).

What I feel that needs to be pointed out is the somewhat misleading opinions and presentations of certain facts. Let me put it this way: if you feel that you did not get a table good enough in a restaurant (like the scene he describes with regard LeBistro) then you open your mouth and request for a table that suits your need better. Instead, he went on cancelling all his planned speciality dinings, which is at least a bit strange...

I feel sorry for him judging at first sight (we have a saing about that....), and escaping from the Illusionarium without giving it a chance. He and his wife missed a lot, I can tell you. The place is nice, the food is great - opposed to what you hear from some nagging people - and the service is fine. But most of all, it is a great show!!! And while we were there, a number of people were seated together, but it just seemed to work fine....

But again, he decided otherwise, and that does not make his review better....

We are different people with different views and opinions. IMHO, some of his statements would indeed deserve a bit of counselling. If I want to have (and enforce) some privacy so desperately, then I would not opt having a vacation on a 4000 guest ship where the chances of bumping into other people are - let's face it - quite high....

Thank you for this post. You are very tactful and say what I wanted to say alot better than me :) I dont like to judge people either but felt the need to correct the thing about the seating. I also felt sorry for him and his wife to miss such a good show. He mentions how dressed up and sparkly his wife is every night in her dress. I felt sorry again how they refused to attend any entertainment venues and cancelled specialty dining because of being near people. A cruise ship is full of passengers at restaurants and shows. Not sure a cruise would be the best vacation for such a couple. Sometimes some posts come across more harsh than they are intended. You did a much better job than me :)

Thank you for that.

Edited by Sara_smile

I am sorry you feel that way but I meant no offense. I strongly believe that if someone posts wrong or false information that it should be corrected so others don't get bad information. There are no bench picnic tables at the show. And another CC member correctly pointed that out. There are nice chairs! Was it not nice to do that? I think it is wrong to tell people wrong information. And the concierge would let you sit ANYWHERE you wanted to.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply. We don't fundamentally disagree. Have a good rest of the day.

Here's a fairly good picture of what the seating looks like. If you look in the upper right hand corner of the picture, it seems as though there are some smaller tables, which are probably priority.

I'm all for wanting privacy, but sometimes, like in a theater, you have to have other people seated next to you, in order to participate. From what I've heard, the OP missed a great show....and that's what my grandma used to call "Cutting off your nose to spite your face"

seats_zps6873f75a.jpg

Here's a fairly good picture of what the seating looks like. If you look in the upper right hand corner of the picture, it seems as though there are some smaller tables, which are probably priority.

seats_zps6873f75a.jpg

Great picture of the seating - thanks!