Just off Getaway 5/3-5/10

kimala

Hi everyone. Just wanted to tell everyone that we had a wonderful week on the Getaway. It was just my hubby and myself. We are in our mid to late 50s. We booked an inside cabin 13609. It was rather frustrating trying to find our cabin the first couple of times because it was down a middle corridor in the middle of the ship...felt like quit the maze at first. But it was worth it as it was very quiet!

Embarkation was very easy maybe 20 minutes top and we were on board deck 7. We decided to eat right there next deck up at the OSheahans Irish Pub. I had Fish and fries and Hubby had chicken wings. My fish was delish not greasy but nice and crispy...fries were a little tired tasting like they had been under heat lamp a little long. Hubby did like the actual chicken it was nice and crisp but the sauce tasted more like spicy katsup then wing sauce. He's a little jaded though with wings cause he loves the ones I make at home...I liked his just fine cause I didn't have to cook them! After lunch we took our carryons to the room. ran into our room stewart by accident when we stopped to ask directions. He was going to tell us to go back down to the guest services desk to get deck plan map until he realized he was our room Stewart and he walked us over to our cabin. He explained that he had 16 rooms to make up everyday 7 on one side of the ship and 7 on the other side...I really felt sorry at that point that we had disturbed him.

We have sailled a few times with NCL but mostly with RCL. This was the best NCL cruise we have taken. The entertainment was first class. Please do book the Illusionarium! It was so worth it and we both enjoyed the food there as well! The dallie is FULL of activities all day as there are 3 sea days. You will not be bored! My hubby enjoyed the ropes course I could not do it because I have a fear of heights. I thought it was adorable that they had a kiddie replica of the ropes course They harnessed the kids up just like the adults in little scaled down harnesses and their course was about 1 foot off the ground...perhaps I could have managed that one??.

We ate mainly in the MDR Taste or Savor...never did do the bigger one Tropicanna but wanted to it was very beautiful! I have to say we enjoy the food in the MDR on RCL better but we did have some outstanding dishes.

have to go for now...let me know if you have any specific ??? I'll try to answer.

sounds like the "Breakaway" with those interior corridors~~I had a balcony cabin on the "Breakaway"~~easy to find~~but when I went to the singles meeting every night it was in those interior corridors and kept getting lost every night! Glad you loved the "Getaway"! I hate to fly so I go out of NYC~~going on the "Gem" in late October for 11 days to five islands!

sounds like the "Breakaway" with those interior corridors~~I had a balcony cabin on the "Breakaway"~~easy to find~~but when I went to the singles meeting every night it was in those interior corridors and kept getting lost every night! Glad you loved the "Getaway"! I hate to fly so I go out of NYC~~going on the "Gem" in late October for 11 days to five islands!

...Ohhhh...I envy you. We went on a 10 day once out of San Juan and got to visit some more exotic islands like St. Kits, Barbados ,Antigua...We really enjoyed that. Have a great time!

Welcome back, and glad you enjoyed your cruise! I had a question about the MDRs. You mentioned that you never ate in Tropicana Room, which is one I am really looking forward to. I was wondering if this was because it was too busy or something?

Welcome back, and glad you enjoyed your cruise! I had a question about the MDRs. You mentioned that you never ate in Tropicana Room, which is one I am really looking forward to. I was wondering if this was because it was too busy or something?

Not to hijack OP's answering, but in the Breakaway, the Manhattan Room (same dining room) was typically the most crowded, most likely because its an incredible space. Best to eat there at off peak hours, or enjoy the free champagne if you dont mind waiting!

I was on the Getaway last week as well. I have cruised with Princess in the past and can say I liked Norwegian way better. We ate at the Tropicana on Thursday night before we went to see Legally blonde. The restaurant was not crowded and some of the members from Burn the Floor were performing while we ate. It was a great time. They had a nice selection to choose from. The nice thing about the ship is that they have TV screens by the main dining rooms that show you which restaurant is busy and which has availability, that way if you are looking for something right away you can see what has openings.

I'm not the OP, but Tropicana is where you have to dress. We ate there when we did eat in the MDR, and the atmoshpere was great! Also, we never had to wait for a table, and we always ate at a normal dinner time. I think the latest we ever ate was 7, but typically 6-ish.

Kimala- thanks for all your work for the M&G and the cabin crawl. I had such a good time checking out all the different types of cabins ( and you have convinced me that I might be able to do an inside cabin after all, my claustrophobia probably wouldn't be too bad in one). Glad you had a great trip!

We did eat at the Tropicana room the night we went and saw Legally Blonde and there was no wait. There is a "dress code" but it is basically just no shorts...There were plenty of people with jeans on while we were there. The Burn the Floor dancers performed for about 30 min while we were there as well. The food was great and the dining room really is a great atmoaphere. Just keep your eye on the board to see if it's "red. I believe you can also make reservations for that dining room as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The reason we never made it to Tropicana was because we could never get in sync about wearing long pants...We really embraced the Freestyle casual atmosphere and just couldn't bring ourselves to even be bothered planning ahead to dress. LOL, sounds silly I know but besides the pre cruise research I did in order to plan my entertainment everything else on board was spur of the moment.

I'm not the OP, but Tropicana is where you have to dress. We ate there when we did eat in the MDR, and the atmoshpere was great! Also, we never had to wait for a table, and we always ate at a normal dinner time. I think the latest we ever ate was 7, but typically 6-ish.

We did eat at the Tropicana room the night we went and saw Legally Blonde and there was no wait. There is a "dress code" but it is basically just no shorts...There were plenty of people with jeans on while we were there. The Burn the Floor dancers performed for about 30 min while we were there as well. The food was great and the dining room really is a great atmoaphere. Just keep your eye on the board to see if it's "red. I believe you can also make reservations for that dining room as well.

It seems I've also read that sometimes a band plays, but that might have been on Breakaway. Do either of you know? That's why I'm more excited about this than any of the specialty restaurants, I like entertainment while I dine.

It seems I've also read that sometimes a band plays, but that might have been on Breakaway. Do either of you know? That's why I'm more excited about this than any of the specialty restaurants, I like entertainment while I dine.

I'm pretty sure there is a band that also plays periodically throughout the week. Check the dailies for the entertainment, I think it was listed there...

The reason we never made it to Tropicana was because we could never get in sync about wearing long pants...We really embraced the Freestyle casual atmosphere and just couldn't bring ourselves to even be bothered planning ahead to dress. LOL, sounds silly I know but besides the pre cruise research I did in order to plan my entertainment everything else on board was spur of the moment.

I made my sisters pack dressier clothes for a couple of "nights out" since all 3 of us are more "jeans and t-shirts" girls in every day life. I like getting dressed up on occasion. I totally understand about being spur of the moment, although I feel like we missed quite a bit because I was so exhausted every night so never made it to any of the parties except the Glow party and missed out on the comedy shows and howl at the moon.

I could have used a 2nd week on board to experience it all!

Is there a dress code for the Illusionarium? We're booked for the first night and hope our luggage arrives in time to unpack and change if needed.

Pat

There didn't seem to be a dress code, we saw quite a few people dressed to the nines, but also some in jeans as well. We got all of our bags by 3 pm, so you should have plenty of time though.

Yes - there was music in there every night that we ate there.

There didn't seem to be a dress code, we saw quite a few people dressed to the nines, but also some in jeans as well. We got all of our bags by 3 pm, so you should have plenty of time though.

Thanks saxgirl84.

Pat

We are so happy to hear that you had a great time aboard Norwegian Getaway! Thank you for sharing your vacation experiences with the community. We would love for you to re-submit your post as a review under the Member Reviews Section, so that other cruisers can benefit from your tips and easily find it when searching for more information on Norwegian Getaway!

Is the music really loud and or is it just at a nice level that you can still converse? Also, does anyone remember what time the dancers come out and do the show? We have a group of 15 with a set time of 5:30 each time in the Tropicana Dining room. Thanks.

Is the music really loud and or is it just at a nice level that you can still converse? Also, does anyone remember what time the dancers come out and do the show? We have a group of 15 with a set time of 5:30 each time in the Tropicana Dining room. Thanks.

We got there around 5:30 because we had Legally Blonde booked for 7:30 and the dancers came out shortly after we sat down they did maybe 4-5 dances and were done. I believe the band was setting up when we were getting ready to leave around 7.