Vow Renewal, Sand, Shells, Beaches, & Transportation?

Kenlorz

Hi All,

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25 year anniversary next June and plan to be in Bermuda on the NCL Breakaway the last week in May. On the actual day of our anniversary, we want to renew our vows on a beach (no officiant...just the two of us... or if my sister & BIL can come, then plus two). We heard that Astwood Park is a good option? We want somewhere beautiful, but quiet. I have some questions, though, that I'm hoping you all can help with.

1. Can you bring home sand or shells from a beach? I know when we sailed RCCL last year, you could not bring shells through customs. I ask because our teens are staying home behind and we thought it would be cool to honor them by doing a "sand ceremony" where we would scoop a handful of sand into a decorative jar for each member of our family, shake it up and say a little something about being "intertwined for all eternity"....but it would SUCK if I couldn't bring that jar home :(. So, does anyone know if you can bring sand home? And if not, do you have another idea on how to honor our children? (We plan to honor our deceased family members by throwing a rose into the ocean for each one who has passed).

2. Do you have any other suggestions besides Astwood Park? Or is that the best choice? And do we have to inform anyone that we plan to do a ceremony there?

3. How about transportation? Would would you suggest? How expensive would a taxi ride be to get out to Astwood from where the Breakaway docks? Are there private town cars or something similar you can hire?

4. Is there a florist in King's Wharf?

5. Any other ideas for a beach vow renewal to make it special?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your advice and help in making this special occasion even more special :)

First of all, congrats to you both! I can answer some of your questions - here goes:

1. It's a bit hit and miss, this one. Some I have heard get it through with no problems, others have had their sand confiscated. Depends on the mood of the customs officer on duty when you go back to the ship. Probably best to err on the side of caution and not count on being able to bring your sand back, but it's up to you. They do sell small bottles of pink sand (profits support programs at our mental health facility). Maybe buy them each a bottle of sand as a memento of the ceremony?

2. Astwood Park is nice and located along a bus route so you wouldn't need a taxi. Not a long walk from the road either. Another option is Whale Bay. It's closer to your ship and located on a bus route. Only downside is that it's a 5-10 minute walk from the bus stop. If it's just the two of you renewing your vows with no officiant involved, I see no reason that anyone would need to be informed of what you're doing.

3. I can't comment on the cost of taxis as I rarely use them, plus, I think rates just went up. Sailbadthesinner is the Betmuda transportation expert on these boards so maybe he (she?) will chime in, or you can post something asking SbtS directly. We don't have any towncars here in Bermuda but our taxis are pretty nice - large, comfortable minivans which are well maintained (usually) and air conditioned. Buses are an option too.

4. No florist at Kings Wharf - closest one would the Roses Flower Shop, which is located near Somerset Bridge. Maybe arrange to have some flowers delivered to the ship? We have loads of great florists here - a Google search should give you a good listing of them (as a local, I'm not able to make suggestions, but, IMO, they're all great so you can't go wrong with any of them).

5. Drawing a blank on this one - sorry!

Hope I have been able to help in some way. Enjoy your cruise and Happy Anniversary.

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions! It is most helpful!

Quick question.... where can I buy the pink sand bottles you speak of? Are they available close to the ship? I'm thinking if I buy the bottles of sand, we can keep the receipt to prove we purchased it and pour those bottles of sand into the heart shape bottle we want to purchase for the vow renewal and still do the ceremony :).

Thanks again, and I will definitely check out Whale Bay, as well.

Hi All,

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25 year anniversary .....

3. How about transportation? Would would you suggest? How expensive would a taxi ride be to get out to Astwood from where the Breakaway docks? Are there private town cars or something similar you can hire?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your advice and help in making this special occasion even more special :)

The metered fare for a taxi from the Dockyard to Astwood cove for 1 to 4 passengers is about $36; for 5 to 7 passengers, about $47 plus tip. This would be for weekdays, for Sunday, surcharge plus 50%.

From the description of AC that I read here, "There is a fairly steep winding trail that goes down to Astwood cove. It’s a bit of a hike to get to the beach".

Have you considered Jobson's Cove or Stonehole Bay? Either would be easier to get to, but with the loss of some privacy.

SBtS

The metered fare for a taxi from the Dockyard to Astwood cove for 1 to 4 passengers is about $36; for 5 to 7 passengers, about $47 plus tip. This would be for weekdays, for Sunday, surcharge plus 50%.

From the description of AC that I read here, "There is a fairly steep winding trail that goes down to Astwood cove. It’s a bit of a hike to get to the beach".

Have you considered Jobson's Cove or Stonehole Bay? Either would be easier to get to, but with the loss of some privacy.

SBtS

Thank you kindly for your help :)

No, I haven't looked into either of those beaches, so thank you for the suggestions. We know absolutely, positively nothing about Bermuda, so the only beaches we know of are the ones that we have found suggested online. Thanks to the suggestions so far on this thread, we have a few more beaches to check out :)

Those bottles of sand are everywhere. Not only are they where iheart suggested but I've seen them in the Craft Market in Dockyard. Might be an idea to run the idea of using the prepared pink Bermuda sand and using your receipts as proof by the Customs Officers there at the wharf before you head out to buy the sand, just to be on the safe side.

The souvenir bottles of sand are tiny (think miniature liquor bottles like the kind you'd find in a minibar) so you may need quite a few. I've heard you can buy bigger bags, but I've never seen it myself, but, then again, it's not something I go looking for ;)

One minor correction to the info I gave you earlier. I had to drive out to Dockyard (Kings Wharf) today and noticed a flower shop that's located closer to Kings Wharf than The Roses Flower Shop. It's called El Shaddai and while not located at Kings Wharf, it is in Somerset - there are two grocery stores located around the corner from El Shaddai where you could pick up some wine or champagne to have a toast on the beach, along with some nibbles.

SBtS

The OP asked about Astwood Park not Astwood Cove so they may not necessarily want to be right down on the beach but rather just looking over a beach.

th?id=HN.608045052879374574&pid=1.7

th?&id=HN.608008275085234174&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

For a nicer experience we'd look at The Reefs resort, perhaps use their beach for your renewal and have dinner reservations in place at Coconuts overlooking the beach or for a more romantic experience a table on the beach.

I'd also check on Randy Lambert's (Tempo) schedule before you leave home, amazing musician and what a treat that would be for him to play while you are at the Reefs. He also plays Henry VIII if that works after your renewals.

No beach will be very private while you're docked unfortunately, but this is something special to surprise your husband with do some research on that.

If not interested consider Warwick Long Bay and Jobson's Cove - gorgeous setting, and in WLB you have lots of room to find a private spot.

Congrats!

Edited by blue_water

Sousak, where have you been? Missed you around here.:)

Thanks iheart :)

I know I've been a stranger lately but that's because I had a baby 3 months ago (on Valentines Day of all days!) so he has been keeping me pretty busy ;)

I know I've been a stranger lately but that's because I had a baby 3 months ago (on Valentines Day of all days!) so he has been keeping me pretty busy ;)

Awwwwww, how wonderful.:)

Wish 32n64w and bdaguy would show up. I think it's safe to assume they didn't have a baby.:D

Congratulations. That explains it! We'll be glad to see you whenever you can drop by for a minute. :)