A few questions about the Grand Princess in Alaska

jbobst

We are going on our first Alaska cruise on the Grand Princess at the end of this month. We are celebrating our 20 year Anniversary and doing our first suite! (a Windows Suite)

First question - In Seattle at Pier 91, will we have any sort of special waiting area for embarkation or are the Suite passengers in the general boarding area with everyone else? We are pretty common people, so it's not a big deal, but I think we do get to be in the first boarding group as suite passengers...correct?

When we debark, our flight doesn't leave until late in the afternoon. Usually we like to do self debarkation as early as possible (since we usually have our car parked in the lot in San Pedro), but since we are flying and have plenty of time I was wondering where the best (non crowded) place to hang out on the ship might be? We would prefer to be in our cabin, but I assume they'll want us out of the cabin by 8-8:30 at the latest. I would like to avoid the crowds, but I also don't want to hold up the crew or be in the way of other passengers. Any recommendations on where to hang out?

I've read where you can exchange the mini bar setup for other items like coffee cards. The question I have is, we would like to keep the "soft" drinks and water options in the mini bar, but I am not a fan of the hard liquor or beer. I'll probably bring a bottle of wine on board with me, as I will have a glass of wine occasionally. I don't want to complicate it too much, but can we keep the soft drinks and water and just exchange the hard liquor and beer or is the exchange an all or nothing kind of thing?

If we keep the mini bar setup as is, and just buy a coffee card, are we allowed to "legally" share a coffee card? We drink coffee, but not very much of it. I actually don't mind the buffet coffee, but the coffee bar in the Piazza will be more convenient to our cabin than the buffet. I know we can save the unused card punches for another cruise, but I think one coffee card would be plenty for us for one week...I just want to use it legally and was hoping that my wife and I can share a single card (it's not expensive, so if I need to buy two cards, no problem there).

I read that we could have the regular dining room food delivered to our cabin. Do we just call room service if we want to do this or do we call the dining room directly?

Regarding the Sabatini's breakfast, I know the service is supposed to be very good, and they have certain beverages included (like mimosa's), but is there any other difference between Sabatini's breakfast and the main dining room? The reason I ask is because we typically don't do the MDR for breakfast, as we prefer to get our own items in the buffet and not have to take so long for breakfast. My plan is to try Sabatini's at least one time (if not more) at the start of the cruise and see what we think, but just curious if there was a big difference in food quality or options. Oh, does Sabatini's offer fresh squeezed orange juice? On my past three Princess cruises, I would buy fresh OJ at the Calypso pool bar for breakfast. If that was offered in Sabatini's and complimentary, I would really enjoy that!

And finally, is the Tea Leaves lounge a nice are to relax, people watch and maybe play some card games or is this area closed off or crowded? It sounds like a nice area to get a cup of tea to enjoy a card game with my wife but maybe the reality of it is not that good.

Thanks!

With the mini-bar set-up, you can exchange it for cans of whatever soda you want if you don't want hard liquor on a 1:1 basis. You can exchange the entire set-up for a coffee card. You can't exchange half for soda and half for a coffee card.

The punches on the coffee card are shareable as it'll be punched for each drink. The unlimited brewed coffee is not technically shareable any more than any other "unlimited" option whether it's a soda card on the ship or a buffet restaurant at home. No one is likely to say anything if you order two brewed coffees.

Can't answer the suite perk questions as I've never had, and am unlikely to have, a full suite.

With the mini-bar set-up, you can exchange it for cans of whatever soda you want if you don't want hard liquor on a 1:1 basis. You can exchange the entire set-up for a coffee card. You can't exchange half for soda and half for a coffee card.

The exchange is for two coffee cards

We are going on our first Alaska cruise on the Grand Princess at the end of this month. We are celebrating our 20 year Anniversary and doing our first suite! (a Windows Suite)

First question - In Seattle at Pier 91, will we have any sort of special waiting area for embarkation or are the Suite passengers in the general boarding area with everyone else? We are pretty common people, so it's not a big deal, but I think we do get to be in the first boarding group as suite passengers...correct?

When we debark, our flight doesn't leave until late in the afternoon. Usually we like to do self debarkation as early as possible (since we usually have our car parked in the lot in San Pedro), but since we are flying and have plenty of time I was wondering where the best (non crowded) place to hang out on the ship might be? We would prefer to be in our cabin, but I assume they'll want us out of the cabin by 8-8:30 at the latest. I would like to avoid the crowds, but I also don't want to hold up the crew or be in the way of other passengers. Any recommendations on where to hang out?

I've read where you can exchange the mini bar setup for other items like coffee cards. The question I have is, we would like to keep the "soft" drinks and water options in the mini bar, but I am not a fan of the hard liquor or beer. I'll probably bring a bottle of wine on board with me, as I will have a glass of wine occasionally. I don't want to complicate it too much, but can we keep the soft drinks and water and just exchange the hard liquor and beer or is the exchange an all or nothing kind of thing?

If we keep the mini bar setup as is, and just buy a coffee card, are we allowed to "legally" share a coffee card? We drink coffee, but not very much of it. I actually don't mind the buffet coffee, but the coffee bar in the Piazza will be more convenient to our cabin than the buffet. I know we can save the unused card punches for another cruise, but I think one coffee card would be plenty for us for one week...I just want to use it legally and was hoping that my wife and I can share a single card (it's not expensive, so if I need to buy two cards, no problem there).

I read that we could have the regular dining room food delivered to our cabin. Do we just call room service if we want to do this or do we call the dining room directly?

Regarding the Sabatini's breakfast, I know the service is supposed to be very good, and they have certain beverages included (like mimosa's), but is there any other difference between Sabatini's breakfast and the main dining room? The reason I ask is because we typically don't do the MDR for breakfast, as we prefer to get our own items in the buffet and not have to take so long for breakfast. My plan is to try Sabatini's at least one time (if not more) at the start of the cruise and see what we think, but just curious if there was a big difference in food quality or options. Oh, does Sabatini's offer fresh squeezed orange juice? On my past three Princess cruises, I would buy fresh OJ at the Calypso pool bar for breakfast. If that was offered in Sabatini's and complimentary, I would really enjoy that!

And finally, is the Tea Leaves lounge a nice are to relax, people watch and maybe play some card games or is this area closed off or crowded? It sounds like a nice area to get a cup of tea to enjoy a card game with my wife but maybe the reality of it is not that good.

Thanks!

Don't know if things have changed, but two years ago in Seattle there were two waiting areas in the large open area that has security screening, check-in and waiting area. After security, go to the priority area to check-in. There were separate boarding groups for Elite and Platinum. We were Platinum and in a WS and were given the Platinum boarding group. Not a big deal as there were only 40-50 Elites ahead of us but you should ask for the Elite boarding group is you are in a WS. There were no snacks or even water in the waiting area. Boarding started first with those needing assistance (a procession of wheel chairs being pushed up the long winding ramp), Elite, Platinum and then general boarding started.

You will be kicked off the ship sometime between 9:30 and 10:00. There should not be a really large group of Platinum and Elite passengers so the priority disembarkation lounge should not be overcrowded. I would go there and hang out until the kick you out. There should be coffee and pastries while you wait.

As Pam said, it is all or nothing on the mini-bar, but you can trade the 10 bottles of beer and booze for water and/or soft drinks. Whether you trade for 2 coffee cards or just exchange the booze, you call Room Service rather than ask you steward. You say that you don't drink much coffee. A coffee card costs $29 while a cup of fresh brewed coffee costs $1.25 and you get free refills while you sit in the IC area. If you don't drink the specialty drinks you would need to buy 24 cups of coffee before the coffee card would be less expensive.

As far as ordering off the DR menu, you can do that any time the DRs are open buy calling Room Service. All of the food, except desserts that should kept hot (souffle) or cold (ice cream) will be brought at one time. You would then call for your dessert later. We found that the entrees would get cold while we ate the starters. In the WS you will eat at the coffee table.

Everything at breakfast at Sabatini's is complementary including the mimosa's (or just champagne) and specialty coffee drinks. Can't say for certain if the OJ is fresh squeezed, but it sure tastes good. Sabatini's is one of the best perks of being in a suite. You don't share a table so you can work with the waitstaff to get done more quickly if you wish. The service has usually been excellent and after a couple of days they will know what you want to drink without asking. With a day's notice they will try to meet your requests. We have found the food to be hotter and fresher than in the DR. The only problem with Sabatini's is that it is one of the main reasons I typically gain a couple off pounds on a cruise.

Leaves was not crowded when we were on the Grand in March. It is a triangular shaped area with a main corridor on one side. There were often people playing games when we walked by. The tea service is limited but I didn't not the hours. All tea there is extra charge and I am not certain that you could use a coffee card to purchase the tea there.

I have been in a full suite and will soon be cruising in a window suite. there will probably be a booklet in your suite telling you ALL the perks. They are many. read it carefully and take advantage of those you would enjoy.you can ask your steward to leave a daily dining room menu every day and order any meals from that by calling DINE.

I am not a breakfast person but did enjoy the "made to order/ whatever you want" service in Sabatini's. I liked the capachino they served without a coffee card.

You will have a knowledgable steward and don't be afraid to ask any questions you have.

ENJOY!!!

Do go to Sabatini's for breakfast - more than once!! Do enjoy your dinner in Sabatini's or Crown Grill the first evening. If you don't want the mini- bottles of alcohol you can swap them out for soda or water in whatever combination you wish.

You should board with the Elite and Suite group. Enjoy the Elite/Suite/Platinum disembarkation lounge on the last morning. You can also order room service the last morning, rather than fighting the mobs in the buffet area or going to the dining room.

Happy Anniversary!

I would recommend the post cruise Seattle tour, stops at the Space Needle etc. They keep your luggage right on the coach and drop you off at SeaTac.As far as a waiting area, we were in a little roped off corner with a few seats. It was also the waiting area for any other groups. We had a big wedding party there at the same time, it wasn't pretty and many had no seats. Just felt like ot was part of the entire terminal.

Out of the cabin by 8am. They really need as much time as possible to get the cabins ready for the next cruise.

Coffee card is meant per person, of course you can share punches.

I like to finish our cruises with the ships port excursion tour and transport to the airport. It is a nice way to see your port city, not have to worry about your luggage and gets you to the airport on time with no fuss.

Here is the description from the Princess website:

Board your motorcoach for a post-cruise excursion highlighting the most popular sights in the "Emerald City." Your knowledgeable guide will share stories and information about the sights you see and multiple photo opportunities ensure that you capture all the memories of the day.

Travel through the bustling downtown area and view Seattle's professional sports stadiums, home to the Seattle Mariners, Sounders and Seahawks. Continue on to the International District, Seattle's Chinatown and the cultural hub for the city's Asian American and Pacific Islander communities. A protected historic district, many of the buildings date to the early 1900's.

Visit the Pioneer Square district, considered to be the birthplace of modern Seattle. After a fire in 1888 destroyed most of the downtown area, all builders were required to use brick. The result is an exceptional example of Classical Revival architecture and a National Historic distinction.

You won't believe your eyes when you soar to the top of the Space Needle. Built in 1962 for the World's Fair, it has become the symbol of Seattle and one of the most recognized urban structures in the world. The observation deck is 520 feet in the air and a 43-second high-speed elevator ride brings you to the top. The panoramic views are spectacular and you can see snow-capped Mt. Rainier, the Cascade Mountains and the majestic Olympic Mountain range. Complimentary Swarovski telescopes get you even closer to the action.

Get ready to dodge some flying fish at your next stop, Pike Place Market. The oldest open-air farmer's market on the West Coast, this 9-acre public market boasts hundreds of artisans, local farmers, fishmongers and curio shops. One of the market's main attractions is to watch the employees throw salmon and other fish to each other instead of passing them by hand. Just order a fish at one of the ice-covered tables and watch your "catch of the day" come sailing through the air to be prepped for sale. You'll also want to check out the very first Starbucks, have a cappuccino, and toast to the place where coffeehouse history began.

You'll enjoy free time to explore the market before reboarding your motorcoach for a ride to the airport.