Two Balconies or a Suite?

Samara318

Hello! I need some advice. I am cruising the Breeze with my DH and DS 6 and DS 20 months. We have a suite booked but I'm starting to wonder if two connecting balcony cabins would be better. I called Carnival and they have availability. Which would you choose to cruise with a family and why?

Hello! I need some advice. I am cruising the Breeze with my DH and DS 6 and DS 20 months. We have a suite booked but I'm starting to wonder if two connecting balcony cabins would be better. I called Carnival and they have availability. Which would you choose to cruise with a family and why?

I don't have a family but I would do the two balconies just to have two bathrooms :)

One major difference is the suite will have a bathtub for the little one but having two bathrooms to get ready for dinner is much better in my opinion and having more space in general with two cabins

I also vote for two balconies- more privacy, comfortable beds vs. pull outs or bunk beds, and most important, two bathrooms.

Hands down two balconies.

Enjoy your cruise

You will want to decide whether you want a connecting door between the cabins or to have the ability to open the partition between the balconies. You can't have both.

I can't remember the website that gives you that info because we looked it up months ago when booking, but you can find it here by searching for opening balcony.

Also, please make sure that you have the correct number in the room that the room holds. There a thread recently where a family got split up at the last minute because the kids were 2 in a four capacity room. They got different rooms together last minute, but it could have been avoided by being careful which rooms were booked.

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago but we have two daughers 22 yrs and 14 yrs, so we decided to get two balconies. Be advised that when you call Carnival they will balk at your change because you are "down-grading" from a suite-even though you're getting two rooms instead of one. I had to escalate my call two two levels of supervisors before they made the change for me.

Good luck!

Hmm. I'm not usually the poster exhibiting "parental caution", but I'll give it a shot here and try not to sound like the people I'm always debating against.

Since my kids have been old enough to be responsible, we've always got adjoining balconies. But if I had a 6 year old, I'm not sure I would have him/her sleeping in a different balcony room. The 20 month old should be fine. No risk of "escaping".

I think I would only do the side-by-side balconies if they were connecting and I could lock off the balcony door in a way that the 6-year old couldn't open.

Glad we are talking about this--I have similar dilemma. I agree with previous poster; wouldn't leave young children overnight in rooms alone (think of the amount of crew who have key card access; kids able to explore).

We are family of 4--hubby/me/dd (7) and ds (3) and have two (2 person) balconies next door but NOT adjoining. On the splendor can we (1) open balcony divider during cruise time (2) sleep in same room by making up couch? Any ideas? We got a deal and were able to get balconies for same as quad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would definitely be a little nervous about kids that little having a separate room at all, let alone a balcony. I don't think I could stand it unless they connected. I will say that the balcony door we had on NCL was really really hard to open and I think there was some sort of lock. I wouldn't expect the average toddler to be able to open it. The main cabin door could be a different story. I could totally see my younger son wandering out the door at that age. I would definitely look at some sort of travel alarm to put on that door if you guys will be sleeping in the other room.

The benefits of the second bathroom are not as significant with kids that little -- they don't need a bunch of primp time and usually don't care about privacy. But it could definitely be nice for them to have their own bit of space. I remember nap times being a pain in shared hotel rooms with little kids!!

I would stay in the suite. You would have ample room and like others have said, I would be concerned about my kids sleeping in a separate room from us. Also, with kids that little I don't think the extra bathroom would be as much a priority for me. Bathtub would be nice for bathing the little one too.

My preference would be to stay in the suite. We have taken DD (3yo) on 3 cruises and she can open the hall door no problem. Also, with the suite you get VIP boarding, which normally has much shorter lines. I like not trying to keep DD occupied in a long security line & then happy in another line.

*i realize that the lines are different at each port...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. I'm not usually the poster exhibiting "parental caution", but I'll give it a shot here and try not to sound like the people I'm always debating against.

Since my kids have been old enough to be responsible, we've always got adjoining balconies. But if I had a 6 year old, I'm not sure I would have him/her sleeping in a different balcony room. The 20 month old should be fine. No risk of "escaping".

I think I would only do the side-by-side balconies if they were connecting and I could lock off the balcony door in a way that the 6-year old couldn't open.

Has anyone gone to their local Home Depot and checked the alarms? There are several "portable" door/window alarms. Also, e bay has many choices for portable alarms. Might be an option. I'd let the steward know there was an alarm on the door.

Maybe one parent in each room?

If you're going to end up in a different room than your partner, then what's the point?

My only concern is access to the balcony. Would I worry about my kids being in a different room than me? No, that's no different than at home.

Am I worried that a crew member might come into the room when I wasn't there and assault or abduct my child? No, that seems remarkably far-fetched.

Am I worried about my child leaving her room and wandering down the corridor? Not really. It is possible, but seems very unlikely. And then if it happens, the risk of something going bad at that point is still pretty minimal.

My only concern is that the child wakes up early, goes out on the balcony and starts climbing around. If there was a way to lock or alarm that door, and our rooms were connecting, then I would be fine with it.

If you're going to end up in a different room than your partner, then what's the point?

I think it's ok not to sleep with your partner for a week. My thinking is two bathrooms a place to let the kids fall asleep while your still up and about in the cabin watching tv or whatever else you interested in doing.

I too would be concerned with the balcony even with a lock, a six year old certainly can pull up the ottoman and unlatch the lock.