Disembarking

Caboose07

Here are the disembarkation procedures from the Getaway. Of course, times may vary depending on ship and sailing but the basic procedures remain the same.

Disembarkation2.jpg

Disembarkation3.jpg

Disembarkation4.jpg

Edited by johnql

When the cruise is over. Does everyone have to put their luggage outside their stateroom the night before? Can you carry your own luggage off the ship the day it docks in NYC?

Some put it out. Some roll it off.

Up to you and your schedule.

I find the Easy Walk Off to be great. Unless you have to deal with young children or have any mobility issues, I see no reason not to take advantage of it. Not having your bag the last night, waiting for your color to be called, and finding your bag at the end can all be easily avoided.

Easy Walkoff is good if you pack & travel light and don't buy extras at the ports along with duty-frees, most able-bodied folks can do it with spinners & rollers (or duffles on wheels) vs. doing airline-sized backpacks and/or hand luggage.

It can be tough with children standing in those long line, especially if you late behind several hundred people all in a rush to get off, sometimes going around the stairs before reaching the gangway, down the stairs/escalators or elevators into the terminal. Once inside NYC's Manhattan pier & past CBP - still, a fairly long walk out to street level (where pier security often direct everyone across 12th Avenue @ 48th Street for taxi, car service & other private pickup.) Total distance is estimated to be about 3/8 mile or about 3 or 4 city blocks - seen plenty of folks stopping & pausing along the way, dragging big suitcases to catch their breath.

If it's a weekend, traffic is usually light and good to be off quickly & on the way - weekday morning rush hour traffic in Manhattan doesn't peak until past 9:30 AM and unless you are running to catch a noon flight to fly out of town. Word of caution is to never the ship will dock extra early & disembark on/ahead of schedule in booking tight travel arrangement post-cruise.

The Breakaway uses 2 gangways so it's easier for the ship packed with 4,500 pax on its weekly runs but the smaller Gem uses only 1 gangway, AFAIK, so it's slower when packed with 2,500+ onboard.

When the cruise is over. Does everyone have to put their luggage outside their stateroom the night before? Can you carry your own luggage off the ship the day it docks in NYC?

Yes, you can. This means you can get off first... or wait until whenever you feel like leaving. Just know that they want you out of the cabins by 9am or so... they want to clean them and get them ready for the next people by noon!

wondering something.

we'll be docking in Seattle on June 1st.

going through immigration, obviously there.

So, instead of trying to find my luggage in that MASS pile, I could take mine with me off the ship and just get in the immigration line. That sounds much more efficient to me.