Where to eat in Key West?

Mike & Sue

This is a really great board, seems like very friendly group. We are driving down this weekend from FLL and need some info on some good, fun restaurants that are cheap with views, people watching etc. Have read up on the bars and the sunset celebration and can't wait to get there. Also for 3 nights should we spend the whole time in KW or maybe spend one night further up the keys? Thanks for any help. Also, this board is a big relief from all the fussing and fighting on the RCCI board.

Go HERE for my favorite bars and restaurants. Number one priority would be the Schooner Wharf Bar to see Michael McCloud (Noon till 5; Wednesday thru Sunday).

Go straight to KW, but enjoy the upper and middle Keys AS YOU DRIVE THRU. Nice to see but BORING to stay there. Nothing to do but fish and veg.

Ouch! I say as I sit looking out at our beautiful aqua water from our little slice of paradise on Little Torch Key, 28 miles north of Key West! Boring can be good. But you're right, get right down there and enjoy the weekend. Our favorite restaurant for people-watching and great food is brunch at Blue Heaven. Our favorite for a great steak is Michael's but it is not cheep. Enjoy the weekend!

Ouch! I say as I sit looking out at our beautiful aqua water from our little slice of paradise on Little Torch Key, 28 miles north of Key West!

Ahhhh but remember Little Torch Key is a SUBURB of Key West. It's not in the upper or middle keys where fishing rules! :D

This is a really great board, seems like very friendly group. We are driving down this weekend from FLL and need some info on some good, fun restaurants that are cheap with views, people watching etc. Have read up on the bars and the sunset celebration and can't wait to get there. Also for 3 nights should we spend the whole time in KW or maybe spend one night further up the keys? Thanks for any help. Also, this board is a big relief from all the fussing and fighting on the RCCI board.

We're laid back at the Key West folder just like folks are laid back in the incomparable Florida Keys.

One of Kal's suggestions for lunch, Bo's, is unlike any other restuarant you have ever seen. It isn't a place to sit and watch people. Many of those are on Duval where you can eat outside and watch the crowds go by. There are a large variety to choose from in that category. Just walk along Duval and choose one that looks promising. But Bo's is totally unique. Even if you don't eat there, you might want to take a picture of the place. It has...for want of a better word...atmosphere.

There are several very pleasant places to eat in the Florida Keys before you get to Key West or after you leave where you can sit by the water and enjoy freash seafood. In Key Largo, the Marriot ( Mile marker # 104) has a second floor restaurant with a balcony that affords wonderful views of the water. This restaurant serves breakfast and lunch.

I haven't eaten there, but Hobo's Cafe in Key Largo is said to have the best yellowtail snapper sandwich in the Keys.

In Islamorada, we like the Islamorada Fish Company (mile marker 81) which is adjacent to the huge Bass Worldwide Sports store. The view is lovely, eat and then go in the store. It has a replica of Hemingway's fishing boat, the Pilar, and you are allowed to get in it. Outside you can sit on the broad veranda and while a way some time in one of the rocking chairs.

We just tried a place that is a real treat. The Island Grill, mile marker 85, which is kind of hidden just South of a bridge on the Atlantic side. The food is more creative than standard Key West fair. It is a tranquil place with a nice dock and a peaceful water view. You can eat inside or outside.

In Marathon at Mile Marker 54 is the Island Fish Company which is a large thatched roof restaurant that has another very nice water view and a large menue.

On Ramrod Key at mile marker 27.5 is Boondocks, another thatched roof restaurant, no water view, but the food is decent.

There are many other restaurants all along the way. Where we stop often depends on the time of day and where we are when we happen to be hungry.

I know you will have a fabulous and relaxed time on your trip.

And here is BO's Fish Wagon. Then on the way down don't forget "No Name Pub" on "No Name Key" right near the "No Name Bridge". Excellent pizza - Good Eats!! Turn right at the stop light at Big Pine Key.

Don't forget Pepe's Cafe (Open Under Old Management)!

You kinda get the drift of my kinda places ;)

When I drive down the Keys, I live to break up the drive and stop at the Islamorada Fish Comany, near mile marker 84. (It's right next to the WorldWide Sportsman - a great place for an angler to visit.) The Fish Co. is about mid-way through your drive, and offers great seafood right on the docks. A definite Keys flavor, it might be a good place to stop and have a fish sandwhich.

Once in Key West, I love:

• Blue Heaven
  • 7 Fish
  • BOs Fish Wagon
  • Ambrosia Sushi

Lobster season will fully begin on August 6th, and there is a Duval Street Lobsterfest usually on the following Saturday. It's picnic tables and paper plates - but if you like lobster, it's the place to be.

And here is BO's Fish Wagon. Then on the way down don't forget "No Name Pub" on "No Name Key" right near the "No Name Bridge". Excellent pizza - Good Eats!! Turn right at the stop light at Big Pine Key.

Don't forget Pepe's Cafe (Open Under Old Management)!

You kinda get the drift of my kinda places ;)

That is a GREAT photo of Bo's. It reflects the atmosphere. For those who haven't been there, don't be fooled. This eatery has won rave reviews by none other than Southern Living Magazine.

I don't think I have ever seen Pepe's Cafe. It looks picturesque. I wonder if it is run by the same folks who run "El Meson de Pepe."

[quote=HeavySurf

I don't think I have ever seen Pepe's Cafe. It looks picturesque. I wonder if it is run by the same folks who run "El Meson de Pepe."

No, not the same people. The El Meson folks do have 2 places though. One at Mallory Square where my favorite band-Caribe- plays every day starting at 4. The other place is on Roosevelt Bld near the big curve.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for all great food tips. Would need a month in KW to eat at all these places. Problem will be deciding, nice problem to have... We fly tonite!! Lunch tomorrow at one of those places on Islsamorada.

We're back from our long weekend. Restaurant suggestions on here were all top notch. Just go with Kal's list in one of the replies above. Wish we had more time to try more, but this will be a reason to return.

Here is a list of the places we were fortunate enough to eat and/or drink at:

Kelly's Caribbean Bar and Grill - crab ravioli with a light cream sauce.

Blue Heaven - you gotta check this place out!! Fresh FISH

Pepe's - lunch - turkey club and raw oysters

Schooner Wharf - excellent raw oysters

Camille's - breakfast

Islamorada Fish Co. - lunch on way down

Kevins Irish Pub - check out NY Paulie(ey?) entertainment 7-11

Sloppy Joes

Be careful on your drive down during Lobster season, the police are absolutely EVERYWHERE and the speed limit is strictly enforced. I drove down during this time and saw dozens of cars pulled over. But with all the beautiful sights to see along the way, I don't know why anyone would want to speed through this anyway. Also, remember that the speed limit drops by 10 mph at nightfall so if you are driving down after dark, remember to add that to your expected arrival time.

It took my 4th visit to Key West to realize the best restaurants are way off of Duval Street, a bit north along the shore. Sorry I can't remember the names but they were places we just fell upon, looked interesting, and went in. These are the places the 'locals' frequent and are just wonderful. Very laid back, wonderful food, large portions, and great cheap drinks. Where else can you eat and literally have chickens running around the restaurant and the owner's dog sacked out in the middle of the floor. Not sure what that says for cleanliness, but it was some of the best food and best times I've had down there.

Will be going to Key West on Thursday Aug 25th. 2 of the 6 of us cannot eat seafood. What restaurant can you recommed having lunch at?

How much do you want to spend? What kind of foods do the 2 like? How far do you want to walk?

How much do you want to spend? What kind of foods do the 2 like? How far do you want to walk?

We are looking to stay around the Duval St/shopping area & vacinity. We like burgers, steaks, chicken, ribs, sandwiches etc. How much we want to spend? Really makes no difference.

Also, where in this same area can we get a really good Key Lime Pie?

Thanks Kal,

Dyanna

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Grandeur's 8/19 sailing. We wanted to go to Ambrosia for sushi, found out it is close at lunchtime from a guy walking down the street, so, we kept walking down Truman (the same way to get to Ambrosia) and went to the sushi bar there. I don't remember the name of it (sorry) but it was really nice. Cool fans to sit under in the bar, too! I had yellowtail roll, Key West roll (conch, cuke, and avocado) and conch nigiri. I asked our waitress where to get a good slice of Key Lime Pie and she directed us to this place on Duval next to the Haagen Das place and I got it there. I got the one covered in chocolate on the stick as I had already had key lime pie lots of times. My God was it good:D It looked like it was going to be an ice cream bar. But when I took the paper off, it was an actual slice of pie, dipped in really good, thick chocolate, on a green stick. It was super duper cold, yet, not actually frozen...sort of like when you freeze your Snickers bars so you won't eat them all, yet, they still taste good and not frozen or frost bitten? Wow...definitely have one of those. Definitely!

• 1 month later...

We will be driving down and should arrive around 9pm on a Friday night, how late do these resturants stay open on the key west side?

Also looking to stay at a hotel within walking distance from the tourist areas.

Thanks Fred

Archived