Getaway Tropicana

taxgal

Maybe I just have not looked/searched in the correct areas; but, I would love to hear what the music, food and overall experience was like for anyone who recently went dinner & dancing in the Tropicana on Getaway.

Does it really give that feeling of a dinner club with live band dancing?

Maybe I just have not looked/searched in the correct areas; but, I would love to hear what the music, food and overall experience was like for anyone who recently went dinner & dancing in the Tropicana on Getaway.

Does it really give that feeling of a dinner club with live band dancing?

Hi! The nights that we did eat in the MDR, we went to Tropicana. The food was very good. We never had bad service there at all! In fact, if you go, ask for Ruby V - she was fantastic, and we requested her several times. She is assigned to that dining room :) They played music every night - live band. Sometimes they sang, sometimes just music. It is a beautiful dining room, and we enjoyed it very much. A lot of folks danced. In fact, the dance floor was rarely empty! It was always a mixed crowd - couples, families, young and old. It always looked to me like folks were enjoying themselves there. I know we did!

We went one night to see the Burn the Floor Dancers. They did a different show then the one they do in the theatre. You must go early to get a good seat or its not worth going at all. Food and service were just fine in my opinion.

Hi! The nights that we did eat in the MDR, we went to Tropicana. The food was very good. We never had bad service there at all! In fact, if you go, ask for Ruby V - she was fantastic, and we requested her several times. She is assigned to that dining room :) They played music every night - live band. Sometimes they sang, sometimes just music. It is a beautiful dining room, and we enjoyed it very much. A lot of folks danced. In fact, the dance floor was rarely empty! It was always a mixed crowd - couples, families, young and old. It always looked to me like folks were enjoying themselves there. I know we did!

I agree with you. We went 3 times and had excellent service each time. There were always people dancing and the music was nice. We never made it to the other 2 main dining rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

The food was not the best on the ship, but the service was very good, attentive and polite waiters. Moreover, when hearing about the food allergy issues for our teens (nuts and soy, almost everything contain soy....), the head waiter came and took personal care of our orders, talking with the chef. In addition, he came back, with offering a special menu for our next visit, if we want to pre-order.

I call that attention and customer service. Top notch.

Utas2

Thanks y'all for the replies.....

Can anyone address what kind of music they band played?

Was it Big Band? Disco? Pop?

Thanks,

Heather

The night we went it was Latin style music. It was the Latin band that plays in the atrium and around the ship.

I personally think that people who only eat in the specialty restaurants on board a ship are missing out on part of the true cruise ship experience. The main dining rooms are generally pretty good. The food and service on NCL is admittedly not as good in that venue as it is in say Cagney's or Le Bistro, but it's not bad either. Yes dinner will take longer, but that's OK with me. If I have plans later in the evening I just go to dinner earlier. I've gotten to the point that while I will generally avoid the buffet like the plague, I will only hit the specialty restaurant twice a trip, three times at the most. As to the Tropicana, I have not been on the Getaway yet, but I did sail on the Breakaway and found the Manhattan room which is very similar to be an enjoyable dining experience. Please however, if you can swing it, try the chefs table. THAT is a very special experience. It was worth every penny! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I personally think that people who only eat in the specialty restaurants on board a ship are missing out on part of the true cruise ship experience. The main dining rooms are generally pretty good. The food and service on NCL is admittedly not as good in that venue as it is in say Cagney's or Le Bistro, but it's not bad either. Yes dinner will take longer, but that's OK with me. .....

I agree that to miss this is like missing out on a true cruise ship experience. Our service last week in the Tropicana Room was light years above the service we received in Cagney's, and at least equal if not better than the service we received in the other specialty restaurants.

We had UDP because it was free, but I would not purchase it because I would just as soon eat at Tropicana Room. I love watching the people dance, listening to the band, and enjoying the view and atmosphere. It's definitely how I would imagine the supper clubs of old. This was the only night of our cruise we didn't eat specialty, and it was the only dinner experience with which I'd have to look hard to find some fault.

Edited by LrgPizza