Grand Princess missed Astoria?

runnerodb83

Where, in Astoria or aboard the ship?

KAST reported on their facebook page that the ship notified the harbormaster at 5am this morning that the port visit has been cancelled due to a mechanical problem. Thats all the post indicates.

Edited by runnerodb83

Where is the Grand's homeport this season? Is this a repo cruise? I've been to Astoria twice on cruises and the Maritime museum is very good. Too bad the pax missed the port. I hope the mechanical problem is fixed quickly.

Where is the Grand's homeport this season? Is this a repo cruise? I've been to Astoria twice on cruises and the Maritime museum is very good. Too bad the pax missed the port. I hope the mechanical problem is fixed quickly.

The Grand's homeport is in Seattle for the Alaska season. I hope they fix the problem is fixed fast as w are due to board her on May 25.

I am on the grand right now. The captain made the announcement about 7a.m. that we would have to miss Astoria due to the current making it to dangerous too dock. I'm not familiar with the exact technical terms, but that was the gist of the message. No power problems that we know of.

Disappointing as we were looking forward to our stop in Astoria.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I am on the grand right now. The captain made the announcement about 7a.m. that we would have to miss Astoria due to the current making it to dangerous too dock. I'm not familiar with the exact technical terms, but that was the gist of the message. No power problems that we know of.

Disappointing as we were looking forward to our stop in Astoria.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

thanks for letting us know. It was low tide around 8am in Astoria, and there is a notoriously dangerous sand bar in the harbor...combined with difficult currents, i can definitely see why a captain would think twice about that.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18521.shtml

only one safe passages for large draught ships and its pretty narrow and near the port. With a 26' draught on the Grand, and a low tide of -1.1 today around 8am, that definitely would be a challenge.

-1.1 is very low. Leaving Astoria in Sept. 2012, the info you shared was explained to us as well. The sand bars were easily seen from the observation deck and the passage was indeed narrow. Imagine the Columbia River meeting the Pacific. Someday I hope to cruise from NOLA to see what it is like when the Muddy Miss meets the Gulf.

-1.1 is very low. Leaving Astoria in Sept. 2012, the info you shared was explained to us as well. The sand bars were easily seen from the observation deck and the passage was indeed narrow. Imagine the Columbia River meeting the Pacific. Someday I hope to cruise from NOLA to see what it is like when the Muddy Miss meets the Gulf.

no kidding, lowest tide of the month for Astoria...but if that was the whole reason, you think they would have looked that up in advance? too bad, Astoria is a great port

Someday I hope to cruise from NOLA to see what it is like when the Muddy Miss meets the Gulf.

You may not get a chance to "see" that. I have sailed out of NOLA a few times and it takes about 7 hours to reach the gulf, which suprised me the first time we did it. Departing around 5:00 PM, we got there around midnight.

It's too bad the ship missed Astoria :(. It's one of my favorite ports for a number of reasons!

We are also on the Grand right now, and have been on since April 28th doing the Hawaii run first. There are safety inspectors from Bermuda aboard doing standard inspections so they have been testing things like emergency response, thrusters, etc.

We are just about to dock in Nanaimo.

I have spoken to many people who have done the coastal

segment in the past and it sounds like Astoria gets missed more

often. One man told me he has missed it 3 out of 3 times.

We have had a wonderful time on the Grand, the staff has been amazing, food has been great,etc.

They even enforced the dress code and sent a very rude and unkempt young man back to his cabin to change when he showed up in inappropriate attire for the dining room.

Enjoy the Grand, we sure have!!!!!!

We are also on the Grand right now, and have been on since April 28th doing the Hawaii run first. There are safety inspectors from Bermuda aboard doing standard inspections so they have been testing things like emergency response, thrusters, etc.

We are just about to dock in Nanaimo.

I have spoken to many people who have done the coastal

segment in the past and it sounds like Astoria gets missed more

often. One man told me he has missed it 3 out of 3 times.

We have had a wonderful time on the Grand, the staff has been amazing, food has been great,etc.

They even enforced the dress code and sent a very rude and unkempt young man back to his cabin to change when he showed up in inappropriate attire for the dining room.

Enjoy the Grand, we sure have!!!!!!

Thank you for the positive report. We just booked two cabins on the Grand yesterday. I look forward to sailing aboard her to Alaska

Thank you for the positive report. We just booked two cabins on the Grand yesterday. I look forward to sailing aboard her to Alaska

You will have a wonderful cruise :) I truly believe a lot has to do with a positive attitude. We are a group of 11 and we have had a wonderful 3 weeks on the Grand. My only negative would be the passengers who are rude, but this has nothing to do with the Grand Princess or her staff.

We are just waiting here , ready to disembark soon.

Cheers