Chankanaab - Vest rental? Fin Rental? Using our own equipment

tbmrt

Would appreciate recent costs for renting a vest and locker? We intend to bring our own snorkel and masks.

Are fins needed? If so, rental cost for fins...Too heavy to carry these!

Suggestions for best snorkeling appreciated as well as hints as to how far we'd have to swim out to do so.

Thanks so much.

Barbara

Lockers by the dolphin swim area are free. They didn't require you do a swim, but I bet they get kinda crowded. I think the ones by snorkeling were just coin operated.

Snorkel vest is free if you leave an ID. There was a small charge for life jackets masks, or fins. Don't recall what but cheap. We didn't use fins or vests, but currents were enough weak swimmers might feel better with a vest.

There were signs that said vests were required, but when we asked they said it was optional.

Tons of fish and a few statues to see. We swam a but far out to get out of crowd, but plenty to see close in. We enjoyed it but will do money bar next time because entrance fee is so high.

Edited by skittl1321

They do not allow for you to take off vest as you should only looking from top. This is to protect the environment. We can get around this by ignore the attendance though we feel uncomfortable not following rules put up by facility. Otherwise, this is a beautiful area. And because of the entrance fee, it will filter out the crowd make for one relaxing day on beach.

They do not allow for you to take off vest as you should only looking from top. This is to protect the environment. We can get around this by ignore the attendance though we feel uncomfortable not following rules put up by facility. Otherwise, this is a beautiful area. And because of the entrance fee, it will filter out the crowd make for one relaxing day on beach.

We went to the desk to ask for snorkel vests and the guy there TOLD us it was optional. So we didn't ignore anyone.

You can scuba dive there too- so the "surface only to protect the environment" thing doesn't make sense- especially since snorkel vests can be deflated to allow for free diving.

We felt the park was uncrowded, but the snorkel area very crowded if you didn't swim far out. There were TONS of people snorkeling; people would bump into you and kick you.

Lockers by the dolphin swim area are free. They didn't require you do a swim, but I bet they get kinda crowded. I think the ones by snorkeling were just coin operated.

Snorkel vest is free if you leave an ID. There was a small charge for life jackets masks, or fins. Don't recall what but cheap. We didn't use fins or vests, but currents were enough weak swimmers might feel better with a vest.

There were signs that said vests were required, but when we asked they said it was optional.

Tons of fish and a few statues to see. We swam a but far out to get out of crowd, but plenty to see close in. We enjoyed it but will do money bar next time because entrance fee is so high.

What is some of the pricing for the Chankanaab park? And what items would you recommend to do when there.

What is some of the pricing for the Chankanaab park? And what items would you recommend to do when there.

The entry fee is $21 per person. However, if you have an encounter booked, the entry fee is included in that. So my husband paid $21 to enter, but I paid $59 for entry + manatee encounter.

I thought the manatee encounter was amazing. I was the only one, so I got fabulous interaction with the three manatees.

There is a nice beach to lay on- many chairs have covered umbrellas, great snorkeling. We walked around the alligator exhibit. There is a zipline (didn't do), we didn't use the pool, but there is one with a swim up bar. There is an archeological walk, but it was pouring rain so we didn't check it out. We read there is a sea lion show, but didn't see what the times were so we didn't see that either. There is also a restaurant and a gift shop. Of course, there are also the dolphin swims.

Easily enough things to fill the day there. We enjoyed our day, but the entry fee is too expensive to go back.

I bring my own mask, so fin rental was $5 at one of the last huts....they're price negotiable, so keep walking toward the end...best thing yo do there is snorkel, since it's right off the beach, and eat the tortilla chips and best guacamole ever fir $10!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We snorkeled at Chank 2 weeks ago. The snorkeling was great, better than at Roatan. We've snorkeled a lot and only Belize beat it.

We bring our own gear. I paid the $5 for the locker rental near the bathrooms behind the restaurant closest to the snorkel area. They gave you a key on a string you could wear around your neck. I liked that since we put the Nikon and our wallets and cruise passes in there. Easy and convenient. Only downside that day was the weather. After the third rainstorm came through we left for the port. Food was good and very reasonable priced.

Edited by wantocruisemore