Build your own excursion?

psimon1210

There are a few places I would like to visit while in Grand Cayman.... Here are my target destinations:

• Turtle Farm
  • Hell
  • An hour or two on 7 mile beach (though I don't have a specific destination... help!)
  • Some touristy shopping at the port prior to boarding the tender back to the ship.

I have read the description of things to do/see on Grand Cayman and feel quite overwhelmed. Just so much to do in such a short period of available port time.

The packaged DCL excursion only has the Turtle Farm and Hell, and I guess we are on our own for the shopping at the port upon return.

Any suggestions for how to put this together? We have never done an excursion that wasn't through DCL. How do you find a driver for 5 passengers that will take you and wait for you at each spot (one that won't desert you and leave you stranded somewhere)? DCL does not offer on Grand Cayman a "driver excursion".

Is it really wise to just take taxis or buses everywhere?

Many thanks....

---Paul in Southern NJ

There are a few places I would like to visit while in Grand Cayman.... Here are my target destinations:

• Turtle Farm
  • Hell
  • An hour or two on 7 mile beach (though I don't have a specific destination... help!)
  • Some touristy shopping at the port prior to boarding the tender back to the ship.

I have read the description of things to do/see on Grand Cayman and feel quite overwhelmed. Just so much to do in such a short period of available port time.

The packaged DCL excursion only has the Turtle Farm and Hell, and I guess we are on our own for the shopping at the port upon return.

Any suggestions for how to put this together? We have never done an excursion that wasn't through DCL. How do you find a driver for 5 passengers that will take you and wait for you at each spot (one that won't desert you and leave you stranded somewhere)? DCL does not offer on Grand Cayman a "driver excursion".

Is it really wise to just take taxis or buses everywhere?

Many thanks....

---Paul in Southern NJ

I have been to Grand Cayman twice and feel it is a very safe port. I don't see a problem hiring a taxi driver as a guide to do the things you want to do. The only warning I would give you is that Grand Cayman is a very expensive island in general so I would agree on pricing for the things you want to do upfront. I haven't taken the bus but it does seem like this is an island where it wouldn't be a problem.

If it were me, I would just skip Hell. It is a few black rocks behind a very touristy gift shop. The gift shop has primarily t-shirts and a few hot sauces. Boring. Actually, the first time I was there in 1997 with my mom it was a little bit better because the gift shop had a lot more items than it did when I was there in 2009. Go to the turtle farm, 7 mile beach and then back to port to shop.

I have been to Grand Cayman twice and feel it is a very safe port. I don't see a problem hiring a taxi driver as a guide to do the things you want to do. The only warning I would give you is that Grand Cayman is a very expensive island in general so I would agree on pricing for the things you want to do upfront. I haven't taken the bus but it does seem like this is an island where it wouldn't be a problem.

If it were me, I would just skip Hell. It is a few black rocks behind a very touristy gift shop. The gift shop has primarily t-shirts and a few hot sauces. Boring. Actually, the first time I was there in 1997 with my mom it was a little bit better because the gift shop had a lot more items than it did when I was there in 2009. Go to the turtle farm, 7 mile beach and then back to port to shop.

Thanks for the insight. I was wondering how long I would really be there.

My wife said you are the first person to tell us NOT to go to Hell! :D

Again... many thanks!

---Paul in Southern NJ

It's easy to hire a driver for the day when you come on shore. Just ask one of the drivers to direct you to someone who will do a private tour. Odds are, you can negotiate with the first driver you see (unless their taxi does not hold 5 pax). You'll probably need a van/minivan. It won't be cheap, but they will take you wherever you want to go and wait there for you until you want to go to the next stop.

As far as Hell goes, well, it's not far from the Turtle farm and if you have a driver....why not stop? Stay for a couple minutes and move on. At least you can say you 've been there and done that. We've made our way there a few times because we think it's funny.

Shopping is easy on your own...the shops are right across from the tender dock. 7 Mile Beach is all public...and there are buses that will take you there and back...very easy! Can't help with the Turtle Farm....never cared to see them farming turtles, or pigs or cows, etc...for food!

We set up our own tour with Cayman Safari and are scheduled to go to many of the places you are looking at plus a few others and lunch. Contact them, they were great to work with setting the tour up. Won't know how it turns out until December!