Harv & Marv's stop at Mendenhall Glacier?

JimS4210

Hi all,

We'll be in Juneau from 10AM-8PM. We have a whale watching tour scheduled with Harv & Marv's. They're picking us up at 11:20AM and I understand that the drive time is 30 minutes each way and an additional 3 hours on the water for a total of approx 4 hours. They have a stop at Mendenhall Glacier for a quick look, but it's only 15 minutes and it might be before or after the tour. Based on this time frame, the tour ends around 3:30 or so.

My question is, if The Mendenhall stop is before the tour, would they be willing to drop us off there instead of taking us back to the ship after the tour? Then I could just stay and get back on my own. Has anyone asked to have this done and how far out of the way would it be for their driver? I'd like to spend more than 15 minutes there. I'd like to walk to Nugget Falls and spend some time soaking it all in. I realize that the buses stop at 6PM and I have to get a cab back after that time. I have Juneau Yellow Cab's # in my phone just in case that would happen.

I guess the best case scenario is for them to schedule the quick stop to the glacier after the tour. Also, how far is Mendenhall from the cruise dock? Don't want to be a pier runner... Thanks!

Jim

I just went on this tour, and the driver stopped for long enough to walk out to the photo opportunity site (around 15-20 min). The driver said we could stay if we wanted. The company running the bus for Harv and Marv's was a separate company. I think you would need to ask the driver individually about going back to the glacier. The glacier is not directly on the way back to the terminal and is about a 5-10 min approx. turnoff from that direction. Hope that helps. ^^

I just went on this tour, and the driver stopped for long enough to walk out to the photo opportunity site (around 15-20 min). The driver said we could stay if we wanted. The company running the bus for Harv and Marv's was a separate company. I think you would need to ask the driver individually about going back to the glacier. The glacier is not directly on the way back to the terminal and is about a 5-10 min approx. turnoff from that direction. Hope that helps. ^^

Thanks! That helped a lot. :)

Jim

if you read thru various trip reports it appears that Marv and Harv drop off at Mendenhall AFTER the whale watching tour. As you suggested, you could be dropped of around 3:30/4, then either catch the 6pm shuttle to the pier or call a cab.

Mendenhall Glacier is about 15 miles from downtown; I would allow at least 30 minutes for the ride. We returned about 5:30pm and found traffic pretty slow in around downtown.

if you read thru various trip reports it appears that Marv and Harv drop off at Mendenhall AFTER the whale watching tour. As you suggested, you could be dropped of around 3:30/4, then either catch the 6pm shuttle to the pier or call a cab.

Mendenhall Glacier is about 15 miles from downtown; I would allow at least 30 minutes for the ride. We returned about 5:30pm and found traffic pretty slow in around downtown.

After the tour would be great, but the confirmation email I received said that it could be either before or after depending on what their schedule was. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to bribe the driver! :)

Jim

:)Contact H&M directly and work it out now. Our experience is they are very easy to work with. I would not wait until you arrive. There could be, and likely will be, more then your group on the van so it becomes a group decision then and may not work for everyone. Call them now. You're going to have a great time with them. Enjoy

i agree... our stop in ketchikan in august has been cancelled, and so we not only have a tour with harv and marv, but later the same day, we have a float plane trip, since we cancelled it it ketchikan. harv and marv have offered to drop us off where ever we needed to be.. nice folks, and easy to work with..

Got a reply from H & M about a glacier drop off after the tour. They said it's absolutely not a problem and will note it on my reservation.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Quick question about tips: did you tip your guide/boat captain AND your driver, since it was separate companies?

We are doing a Harv & Marv tour next month and I'm trying to plan out all our cash! Thx!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we tipped the shuttle driver, had same driver as he clarified that at p/up that he would be our return driver. We also tipped our boat Captain (well) whom also served as our guide. You'll have a blast and make lifetime memories. Enjoy. :)

Got a reply from H & M about a glacier drop off after the tour. They said it's absolutely not a problem and will note it on my reservation.

Jim

Thanks for mentioning that this was possible. I, too, have added it to my reservation! Given the list of what we want to do in Juneau (and despite it being a nice long day in port), this will help save time/money!