Question about asking for upgrades???

BMJJR

My wife and I booked an Alaskan cruise on Solstice departing June 20, 2014. We booked a balcony room for ourselves (and because of the steep price) booked an inside cabin for our son & daughter in law.

Wow.....now I'm seeing some amazingly low priced last minute deals for our cruise. I don't mind paying a premium to be guaranteed my dates and cabin type......but I'm seeing prices almost half of what we paid for a balcony cabin.

The inside cabin we reserved for our son & daughter in law is now about the same price as a balcony on some of the last minute sales.

How difficult is it to request (and get) a complimentary upgrade to a better cabin for them?

Has anyone been successful in doing that?

Thanks for any info and suggestions!

Bruce

I guess that I am missing something. If the price of a balcony is half of what you paid that why don't you ask for the reduced price on your cabin?

If you booked a inside and now the price increased to what a balcony price is than you should feel fortunate that you got a deal and paid less, and if the price of that cabin went up they will not give you the difference between what you paid and what it is now selling for towards another cabin.

🌊🚢🍺🌅

• 2 weeks later...

We are on 6/27 Alaska Millennium. After reading the boards about upgrades, I decided to give it a try by calling my TA. We have 2 cabins booked..1 veranda for myself and DH, and an inside cabin for son and girlfriend. I was calling to see if I could get my son's room upgraded to at least a Oceanview and would even pay a little for a veranda. He came back to me stating no avail free upgrades, but could upgrade from inside cabin to Concierge w/veranda for $107 total charge. Wait! I want that room!! When he tried to upgrade both to Concierge, Celebrity said no to my room upgrade stating some rule about not being able to upgrade because of same price, and nothing available in higher catagories? TA said when we check-in, to request that we just swap rooms with each other so DH and I get the better room. Hope that works. Wouldn't be fair for ol' mom to pay for their whole trip and not even get the better room :( So, when we board, my DH and I will request to swap rooms with my son so he would have our veranda room and we will take the Concierge room :D.

I had no trouble upgrading in April on the Constellation. Each time I saw a price drop on a nicer category to slightly more than I had paid, I called and was able to upgrade to the now slightly more expensive category at its new fare, applying my previous fare to the new cabin. This was well within the final payment period. I ended up in a nice balcony for only a little more than I had originally paid for a guaranteed inside. The only difficulty I had was the interminable waits while on hold with Celebrity, up to an hour! :eek: