FaceTime on Celebrity Reflection

emjayef

On our last couple of cruises on Azamara, the ships's WiFi did not have enough bandwidth to use Apple FaceTime.

Does anyone know whether the WiFi on the Reflection has enough bandwidth to support FaceTime?

On our last couple of cruises on Azamara, the ships's WiFi did not have enough bandwidth to use Apple FaceTime.

Does anyone know whether the WiFi on the Reflection has enough bandwidth to support FaceTime?

HA HA HA HA HA H HA HA !

Funny.... :D

All the X ships barely let you get email let alone FaceTime. the bandwidth is so bad. I've had decent luck getting quick emails at 4amish, but generally just wait for a port and find wi-fi on land. I believe their routers are programmed to disallow it entirely as with many streaming video sites.

Also beware if you were to buy a cruise ship plan, Reflection does not use Cellular at Sea, the company AT&T has a package price with as do all other (but one other exception ship I can not recall) X ships. Seems odd their newest isn't compatible on that plan. Whatever system they use is notorious for not letting AT&T iPhones even on the cellular network to send and receive calls, I have myself experienced this November of 2013 on Reflection in the Caribbean.

Facetime and Skype are blocked on many ships because they take to make bandwidth.

Yes, VoIP takes up too much bandwidth so ships block the required ports.

On the infinity last week there was amazing internet at most times of day (except between meals most days).

Cellular on the ship on the same sailing worked great. $2.50 a minute charge for roaming from att.

john

On our Asia cruise there was a lady on the pool deck using Skype (we were in the South China Sea) . She also stood and turned circles with her iPad to show the ship to her friends.

Possibly using Cellular Data service rather than ship's wi-fi.

There are some plans, especially Verizon, that give unlimited cellular data when going international these days. A friend in my group on the Eclipse TA this year was constantly skyping him using it.

There are some plans, especially Verizon, that give unlimited cellular data when going international these days. A friend in my group on the Eclipse TA this year was constantly skyping him using it.

Nope I checked Wifi only iPad, not a 3G like mine. Plus some other people reported using Skype phone calling.

Edited by Christine Frances

Yes, VoIP takes up too much bandwidth so ships block the required ports.

On the infinity last week there was amazing internet at most times of day (except between meals most days).

Cellular on the ship on the same sailing worked great. $2.50 a minute charge for roaming from att.

john

The only company that I know that does unlimited cellular at sea is T-Mobile, not Verizon.

I probably shouldn't share this, as the less users who try, the better, but I have personally made very successful Skype calls on Constellation, Eclipse, Equinox, Century and Reflection. It doesn't work as well with my ipad as a full PC, and almost not at all with my iphone (5). The faster computer made the best calls. I did NOT try video as I didn't want to push my luck.

I spent almost 3 hours online without a drop or lost connection using a remote desktop application for work on Constellation in November. It was actually a sea day, Thanksgiving day. I simultaneously made skype calls over 30 minutes long and was never dropped.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Every now and then I'll read a comment from someone who has successfully used one of these VOIP programs, such as Facetime or Skype, on a ship. But for the most part these are blocked and/or wouldn't work due to bandwidth limitations.

We found this sign in the internet cafe on a cruise last year:

DSC01952-L.jpg