Breakaway to Bermuda review of 5/11 cruise

rednose83

AHhhhhhhh LOVE the pictures of your fur babies!!! We have one, a 9 year old Maltese named Nico. Because I am SUCH a freak about her, in 9 years we have only left her (in the hands of a trusted relative) three times and both traveled somewhere together. I just can't. I was stinking miserable the entire time missing her and worrying about her. Thus, I cruise with my sister and husband stays home with the child. *If* (yes, I am in denial) the day comes when we ever find ourselves without a dog, we will cruise together. But that will NEVER happen, right?? ;)

Anyway, thanks so much for this review. I'm on the Breakaway in early August with 26 of my relatives, yikes!!

And then it was time for muster. Which was in the atrium. Same old, same old. Check-in with the attendant (make sure they scan

your card) and then stand around until they're done talking.

After muster, we went upstairs for sailaway. We stood on deck 15 starboard and watched NY, NJ, and the Statue of Liberty pass

us by (or rather, we passed it).

Hi - do you recall what time muster was?

Thanks.

The fur babies are adorable!

Loved the pic of your DH in the subway with the Metrocard. As a native New York city girl, those pics make me laugh.

What hotel in NYC UPGRADED you to a private bath? Are there really still hotels with shared baths?

Question.....you said something about lunch in Moderno at the buffet rather than the usual lunch buffet. What's up with that? Is this something that goes on all the time? Is there a charge? What food?

Thanks!

Lounge beds on deck 8, waterfront both sides of the ship. Bermuda muster was 3:30, wouldn't take as long if everyone would get there on time....... sail-a-way at 4:00 last week. Review to come! Great cruise for us!

The fur babies are adorable!

Thank you! I love my little fuzz muffins.

Loved the pic of your DH in the subway with the Metrocard. As a native New York city girl, those pics make me laugh.

He was sooooo excited!

What hotel in NYC UPGRADED you to a private bath? Are there really still hotels with shared baths?

Park9=79. Our B&B was shared bath too

Question.....you said something about lunch in Moderno at the buffet rather than the usual lunch buffet. What's up with that? Is this something that goes on all the time? Is there a charge? What food?

Yes, it's regular. No charge. Same food as on the buffet but a smaller selection. WAY LESS PEOPLE!

Thanks!

Answers in red.

• 2 weeks later...

Day Three- SEA DAY

We woke up in time to see the sunrise. Gorgeous.

********************insert video*********************

Breakfast- O'Sheehan's- Again, I had the french toast (YUM!) and sausage. DH has the country sampler. Both of us enjoyed breakfast.

Lunch- Main Buffet. Slightly crowded. Food good. Plenty of choices. Need better layout. Dislike the boxes that they put the fruit and

dessert in.

Afternoon fun- Ropes course. We both survived the plank!

Snack- Strawberry Cheesecake from Carlos Bakery. We shared it on our balcony. Very good! Best dessert we had on board.

Pre-dinner cocktails- Ice Bar. It was $20pp and included two drinks each. You were allowed to stay in there for up to one hour. We were

the last people to leave from our group and we were in there for 20 mins. We both felt that this was not worth it. We expected it to be

an actual (small) bar with chairs and such. In reality, it was big freezer with one chair.....and 15 people. Kids were also allowed in.

Dinner- Cagney's. We had a reservation for 8pm but decided we wanted to go right after we left the ice bar. We walked into Cagney's at 6pm

and asked if we could be sat. They were able to sit us right away, if we sat on The Waterfront. We agreed. I ordered the Wagyu Beef Sliders,

Baked Potato Soup, 8oz filet, Onion Rings, and Steamed Broccoli. DH ordered two Shrimp Cocktails, Baked Potato Soup, the Wagyu Burger, Cagney's

fries, and mashed potatoes.

Cagney's was underwhelming on this day. Service was slow and DH ordered a drink that he never got.....however, they did bring the bill for it.

I'd ordered my filet Medium Well and it came out really well done.

Later that night, we ordered the delivery pizza to be delivered to our stateroom. In a word: GROSS.

Day Four- 1st day in BERMUDA

We woke up early and went to breakfast in O'Sheehans. I ordered my usual (french toast and sausage) and DH ordered the Corned Beef and Hash.

We both liked our breakfast.

Afer breakfast, we got off the ship and took the ferry over to Hamilton.

We walked to the fort and explored the grounds. We were practically the only people there.

******************insert pictures*************************

After the fort, DH had a bit of a meltdown- really not cute on an almost-30 year old dude- about how awful Hamilton isand how bored he was.

So, we boarded the bus to the Swizzle Inn- which he complained about both price and service.

**************insert pics********************

Next up, we went to the caves. We decided to see both caves. He really enjoyed the caves and I got a break from his complaining.

***********************insert pics***************************

After the caves, we took the ferry back to the dockyard from St. George.

*************insert pics**************

There was a HUGE line of people waiting to get back on the ship. NCL was out there with cold towels which was nice because it was HOT.

Once we got back on the ship, I made DH take a nap. He was way too grumpy!

While DH was napping, I went to see Rock of Ages, as a stand-by since I had made our reservations for the 9:30 showing.

I was the third person in the stand-by line and was let in at 6:15- I sat in the 4th row. Despite it being a port day, there were not a ton of

open seats however everyone was able to get in that wanted too.

I loved the show! Easily, the best show that I have seen at sea.

After the show, we decided to try La Cucina. Due to reviews, I wasn't expecting much. We both really enjoyed our dinner though. I ordered the

sausage pizza (forget it's Italian name that is on the menu) and the Vegetarian Lasagna. DH ordered the Calamari and the Shrimp Risotto. We agreed

that the bread they serve is among the best bread we've ever had. I love how its's baked fresh and served with the different oils for dipping.

After dinner, we decided to go to bed. In hopes that DH wouldn't be so grumpy the next day.

Day 5- 2nd Day in BERMUDA

So, we woke up and went to O'Sheehan's for breakfast (shocker, I know). I had my usual and DH had the Country Sampler and we tried the bakery basket.

Once again, breakfast was great.

After breakfast, we planned to catch the 9:30 shuttle to St. Georges. This gave us about 1.5 hours so we decided to walk around the dockyard and pick

up some stray gifts. I bought some earrings from the Glassworks store for me and a friend. And some Christmas ornaments for my Mom from the store right

inside the terminal. She buys an ornament in every port but apparently forgot to get one last year when she and I traveled to Bermuda on the Summit. I

also purchased some seaglass bracelets for myself and another friend. DH got mango fudge from the shop in the Clocktower Mall.

After putting our purchases back on the ship, we went a got in line for the ferry. We were a little worried because the weather wasn't the greatest and we

were planning on swimming at Tom Moore's Jungle.

The ferry to St. Georges was uneventful.

**************insert pics*************

Once in St. George, we decided to grab a quick snack. We found Temptations bakery (on the main street, where the bus stops are). I had a blueberry muffin and

DH had a slice of chocolate caramel pecan pie and espresso. The snack was just what we needed to start our adventure.

From there, we boarded the bus to go to Tom Moore's. We got off at the stop for the Swizzle Inn. And walked the rest of the way. Which was further than we thought.

**************insert pics**********************

You walk down this nature trail and eventually you come to a split in the trail. If you got straight, you come into this gorgeous view of the ocean: ***insert pic***

If you turn left, you get on the path to Tom Moore's Jungle (there are NO signs). First, we went left and found the opening to the cave where you can swim. We were

here alone and only ran into another couple on the way out.

*****************insert swimming pics******************

After swiming, we walked back out and found this little cave to explore.

***************insert pics******************

We then took the trail towards the ocean view.

**************insert pics and video****************

We stayed there a few minutes and then kept walking. Eventually, we came upon this desserted beach.

*****************insert pics**********************

and this mother hen and her chicks.

***************insert pics********************

We kept walking and ended up at the main road just before the gas station. We stopped at the gas station and bought water and a slice of pound cake. Then continued our

walk to the bus stop. Once at the bus stop, we ate the pound cake. It was very dry and we didn't finish it.

A couple minutes later, the bus came and we were off towards Hamilton.

Once in Hamilton, we looked in a shop for some cologne that DH wanted but decided not to get.

Then we hustled to get the ferry back to the dockyard.

Once at the dockyard, we went to the pharmacy and bought a magnet that says Got Booty? because we nicknamed one of our beautiful pups Booty and thought it was funny.

Back on the ship, we walked into Moderno to see if we could eat dinner there. We didn't have reservations but she was able to seat us immediately. We ate until we

felt like we were going to burst. I love that pineapple- like I cannot get enough!

After dinner, DH decided that he wanted to see Rock of Ages so we joined the stand-by line. We were allowed in about 9:20 and sat in the 3rd row. I (again) enjoyed the

show and he declared it the best show at sea.

After the show, it was time for bed for us!

Day 6- 3rd Day in BERMUDA

We awoke and DH wanted to eat in the buffet for breakfast. So, we broke rank and ate in the buffet. It was okay but packed. I much prefer eating at a seated place with a

server but he wanted copious amounts of bacon and didn't want to look like a piglet.

After breakfast, we caught the bus to Horseshoe Bay where we spent a couple of hours exploring the different beaches (via the trail), climbing the rocks, looking into the

caves, and walking with our feet in the water. The water was cold but there were people in it.....probably Canadians :8

***************insert pics*************************

After the beach, we decided to catch the bus back to the Dockyard for lunch. We got on the ship and went to O'Sheehan's for lunch. I ordered the burger (not good) and DH had

the wings and fries.

After lunch, we planned on going to one of the pubs in the dockyard for some drinks but I was too lazy and decided to nap instead.

After nap, we went to Cagney's to see if the other night was just a fluke. I ordered almost the same thing but I added the creamed corn. DH ordered the crab salad, Mexican

Ceasar salad, Grilled Shrimp, Cagney's fries, mac and cheese, and potatoes au gratin. It was much better this time. Good service and food exactly how we requested.

We went to see Michael Finney (magical comedy show) and thought it was just okay.

The fireworks were after the show. Julie (cruise drector) had announced that the fireworks would be visible from any port side balcony so we decided to watch them

from our balcony. The show wasn't too long but they had some very nice pieces that I hadn't seen before. We wondered if they could be seen by the near-by Celebrity Summit.

After the fireworks, we decided to go to sleep.

Day 7- SEA DAY

You are all going to be shocked but....we went to breakfast at O'Sheehan's......and just to keep you on your toes....I ordered french toast :) and so did DH this time.

As always, it was great.

By about 10:30 or so....the weather greatly depriciated. The ship was rocking and it's pretty much the first time we could feel it moving.

*************insert pics********************

At 1:40, I ordered room service and was informed that due to everyone staying in, it would take at least 45 minutes to deliver my order.

I spent the day watching movies, listening to the ocean, and writing this review.

I had made 7pm reservations for Teppenyaki but we decided we wanted to eat earlier. I called and changed our reservation to 5pm (all they had open). We ordered the

same meals as last time. We celebrated our anniversary today so we got a cake and shared with our whole table.

After dinner, we went back to our cabin and packed up :( then we used the hot tub one final time.

Day 8- Debarkation

We were requested to be out of our room at 8:30 and we were. The night before, we had put out our bags (for the first time) so we were traveling lightly. We had the usual breakfast at O'Seehan's.

Our tag was called on time and we walked off. We collected our bags and left the terminal. No muss, No fuss.

Carnival Comparison:

Like I said before, we have cruised mainly on Carnival- where I am platinum. Our last cruise was on the Carnival Breeze (newest ship) so I will compare that cruise to this one,

in order to try and be fair.

PRICE- Since the itinerary and the days are not the same, I'm going to try to do this as fair as possible. New ship (Breeze) to New ship (Breakway). Same week since my mother is

currently on the Breeze.

Our cost (to sail) per person, per day- $84.86 for a balcony room (Bermuda)

Breeze cost (to sail) per person, per day- $84.88 for a porthole room (Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Grand Turk)

So, I'd say for this cruise NCL wins since the price was basically equal but we had a balcony.

FOOD- For this section, I will only compare the included food- since we bought the UDP on the Breakway. Carnival has greatly upgraded their choices with the Breeze and we loved

th pasta bar at lunch and Guy's burger's. NCL offers many choices including a full-service restaurant even on port days and a "quieter" buffet in Moderno. Due to choice both in eating

venues and foods available, I'd say NCL wins.

SHOWS/ENTERTAINMENT- This just isn't even remotely close. NCL wins this by a landslide as the Breeze's shows are pretty much unwatchable in their level of awful.

SERVICE- I'd say it's about the same.

EMBARKATION- Same because I'm platinum on Carnival. If I wasn't, NCL would have won by a mile. Especially because they had eveyone's room ready upon boarding, not just certain rooms.

THINGS I MISSED ABOUT CARNIVAL- Cherry on Top! I was surprised how much we missed the little candy store. Guy's Burgers.

THINGS NCL DOES BETTER: Closes the theatre doors after the show starts. Doesn't walk in front of you serving drinks during the show.

I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO SAIL ON EITHER LINE AGAIN.

Edited by rednose83

Remainder of vacation- We spent another 5 days in NYC sightseeing. We attended museums, walked until we couldn't stand, ate until we were about to burst, and saw our first Yankees game

The last 3 days of our trip, we rented a car and drove to Ontario, Canada to see the falls. Simply amazing.

How was the weather? Warm enough to swim at the beaches in Bermuda?

The weather was hot. Mid 80's. The water felt cold on my feet- we didn't swim at Horseshoe. DH swam in the cave....water was the constant low 70's in there.