Transportation from healthrow airport to cruiseport. 70 miles. What is best and cheap

Egans

Heathrow to Harwich is one of the more difficult UK airport-to-ship transfers by public transport because there's no direct route - you have to travel into central London, cross the centre, then take the train to the ship.

This is one of the few journeys where I'd recommend checking out the cruise line's transfer coaches direct from airport terminal to ship terminal. They have a fleet of coaches, there'll always be one trawling the airport terminals at any given time in the morning so whatever time you arrive there'll be one along soon.

Or a private transfer, someone like http://www.simplyairports.co.uk/ though I've no experience. For four that might be cheaper than ship's coach.

This website gives you a bit of background,

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_harwich.htm

But the alternatives that it mentions have flaws:

- the privately-operated cruise bus (not ship-sponsored coaches) runs from Heathrow hotels, not terminals. And if you miss the bus you lose your money.

- the National Express coach / train combo via Colchester & Manningtree is no fun, and coach frequency is poor.

- using the tube from Heathrow or even to just cross central London is no fun with luggage.

- For four of you, Heathrow Express to Paddington station then taxi to Liverpool Street station then train to Harwich will be more expensive than either ship's transfer coach or a private transfer.

(btw, the private transfer operators advertising on that website tend to be expensive, get several quotes)

As an Irish friend of mine would say, "the best way to get to Harwich is not to start from Heathrow" ;)

JB :)

ps to Welsh Dave. What gives, Dave? Up with the larks? Or the same insomnia as me? ;)

Edited by John Bull

Heathrow to Harwich is one of the more difficult UK airport-to-ship transfers by public transport because there's no direct route - you have to travel into central London, cross the centre, then take the train to the ship.

This is one of the few journeys where I'd recommend checking out the cruise line's transfer coaches direct from airport terminal to ship terminal. They have a fleet of coaches, there'll always be one trawling the airport terminals at any given time in the morning so whatever time you arrive there'll be one along soon.

Or a private transfer, someone like http://www.simplyairports.co.uk/ though I've no experience. For four that might be cheaper than ship's coach.

This website gives you a bit of background,

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_harwich.htm

But the alternatives that it mentions have flaws:

- the privately-operated cruise bus (not ship-sponsored coaches) runs from Heathrow hotels, not terminals. And if you miss the bus you lose your money.

- the National Express coach / train combo via Colchester & Manningtree is no fun, and coach frequency is poor.

- using the tube from Heathrow or even to just cross central London is no fun with luggage.

- For four of you, Heathrow Express to Paddington station then taxi to Liverpool Street station then train to Harwich will be more expensive than either ship's transfer coach or a private transfer.

(btw, the private transfer operators advertising on that website tend to be expensive, get several quotes)

As an Irish friend of mine would say, "the best way to get to Harwich is not to start from Heathrow" ;)

ps to Welsh Dave. What gives, Dave? Up with the larks? Or the same insomnia as me? ;)

In work, start at 0530hrs........:(:(:(

Ahh, right.

So you started work at 5.30.

And you're on Cruise Critic at 6.15.

Can you give me your boss's name & phone number?

:D :D :D

Work at the BBC in Cardiff, so nothing starts to happen till 0800ish....

Oct 13 4 people from healthrow to harwich. What is best and cheapest transportation

Hi, and welcome to CC.....seems this is your first post.

it has been a while since we have done the reverse. We came on Jewel OTS to Harwich and we were flying out of Heathrow the same day.

A small group ( 6 people) of us got together on the thread pertaining to our sailing and we decided to hire a van to get us from the port to airport ....... it was cheaper and faster than cruise line provided transportation...... for us it was the best and cheapest ...... and easiest.

Edie the driver ( and possibly the owner - not sure) was waiting for us in the small cruise terminal in Harwich an after getting us all and our luggage, drove us to Heatrow ( different terminals - not everybody was going back to US).

I would reccomend Edie and would be happy to hire him again.

If you want his email, I can look for it and provide it.

Work at the BBC in Cardiff, so nothing starts to happen till 0800ish....

Why not just borrow the Tardis; you could sleep in and still get to work on time. :-)

Aloha,

John

Cruise and Doctor fan!