Any Issues With Renting A Car In Iceland, Norway, or Faroe Islands?

I'm starting to plan our activities for a July, 2015, cruise that will visit Norway, the Faroe Islands, and Iceland. DH loves scenic photography and loves the freedom of a rental car so he can stop whenever he wants to take pictures. So I'm wondering if there are any issues we would need to be aware of for our ports of call, such as availability of rental cars, the need for a special license or insurance, road conditions, etc. Or maybe it would be better to just get a taxi for a few hours?

For background, we are US residents who will be 67 and 58 and have spotless driving records. We have driven in Scotland (both in towns and on the one-lane two-way traffic roads in the countryside) and St. Maartin so have no problem with tiny, hilly roads or driving on the left. We do need automatic transmission cars, though - shifting on the left would just be a little too much. We'll have a minimum of 8 hours at each port, and usually will have more time than that.

Does anybody have advice for us for the following ports? I know we might not be able to rent a car in every port, but some might be better for it than others. Thanks!

Bergen, Norway

Alesund, Norway

Geiranger, Norway

Klaksvik, Faroe Islands,

Reykjavik, Iceland

Edited by frisbeewife

I will recommend to rent a car in Klaksvik, and Reykjavik in order to go to more remote and scenic places - not specific requirements and good roads - but prices might be high.

I have renred cars in Iceland and Faroe Islands, several times.

You would have a problem if you tried driving on the left in Norway, iceland or the Faroes. They all drive on the right. :eek:

Icelands roads round the edges are fine, but if you go into the interior they're dirt tracks relaid every year. People drive on them, though. Faroes as far as I remember are just normal roads, and norway's roads are now properly surfaced pretty much everywhere 9which wasn't the case first time I went, thirty years ago).

We hired a car in Iceland and I don't remember any special circumstances. A normal licence and a passport are probably all you need. It would probably be helpful to arrange the hire before you start the cruise, because then they can meet you at the dock for collection and drop-off.

You would have a problem if you tried driving on the left in Norway, iceland or the Faroes. They all drive on the right. :eek:

Icelands roads round the edges are fine, but if you go into the interior they're dirt tracks relaid every year. People drive on them, though. Faroes as far as I remember are just normal roads, and norway's roads are now properly surfaced pretty much everywhere 9which wasn't the case first time I went, thirty years ago).

We hired a car in Iceland and I don't remember any special circumstances. A normal licence and a passport are probably all you need. It would probably be helpful to arrange the hire before you start the cruise, because then they can meet you at the dock for collection and drop-off.

Too funny! Yes, I should've done enough research beforehand to know which side of the road they drive on. I just always think everywhere in Europe drives on the left. But that's why we travel, right? To learn about other places!

I suppose the rental car companies in Iceland would either warn us to avoid certain rough roads, or else rent us a car that could handle them. I'll ask when I make the arrangements.

Thanks!

Since you are from FL i didn't notice your comment on driving at the left.

At Faroe Islands you can drive at all roads ad in Iceland your rental company will let you know where not to drive - for a day excursion you will noy get to those areas anyway.

Automatic transmission cars is not a problem - last time in Iceland I got automatic transmission without asking ,

Thought it migh be good to get some inspiration for day trips from Reykjavik- depending on time available.

Links to some short videos from my last visit to Iceland

Golden Circle (day trip)

We are visiting those ports this July and have reserved cars in each one. We are using a trusted US car rental agency (won't mention the name here). I recommend researching prices through the US website...the foreign websites were substantially more. Have a wonderful trip.

Thought it migh be good to get some inspiration for day trips from Reykjavik- depending on time available.

Links to some short videos from my last visit to Iceland

Golden Circle (day trip)

I see these videos (they're wonderful) were posted in May; but what time of year did you take the videos?

Thanks,

Greg

I am interested in renting a car in Klaksvik. I would appreciate any information that anyone could provide. Is there a certain company that would be less expensive or more convenient?

We are visiting those ports this July and have reserved cars in each one. We are using a trusted US car rental agency (won't mention the name here). I recommend researching prices through the US website...the foreign websites were substantially more. Have a wonderful trip.

I would love to know what company you are using and if they are close to the port?