Transportation Question

MrsCruise2007

We will be a group of six (4 adults/2 small kids) flying into MCO the day before our cruise. Originally my plan was to rent a car, drive to Residence Inn at Port Canaveral and do the whole drop off with the rental car etc. well now the cost of a rental (a mini-van to fit all of us) is well over $200 each way and it seems like a better to deal to go with a private company. Right now I have a reservation at a hotel in Orlando as well (so we could take the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel) and then have a private company pick us up in the morning and drive us to the pier. Or I also have a reservation in Cape Canaveral and don't know if we should get a private service from the airport to the hotel when we fly in and then pay the shuttle fee from the hotel to the pier? Logistically I have no idea what makes the most sense and will be the most cost effective. Will these private companies pick up at a hotel instead of at the airport? I have never left out of Port Canaveral and I just want to get this last piece of the puzzle in place and I don't want it to be a disaster!! Suggestions? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be a group of six (4 adults/2 small kids) flying into MCO the day before our cruise. Originally my plan was to rent a car, drive to Residence Inn at Port Canaveral and do the whole drop off with the rental car etc. well now the cost of a rental (a mini-van to fit all of us) is well over $200 each way and it seems like a better to deal to go with a private company. Right now I have a reservation at a hotel in Orlando as well (so we could take the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel) and then have a private company pick us up in the morning and drive us to the pier. Or I also have a reservation in Cape Canaveral and don't know if we should get a private service from the airport to the hotel when we fly in and then pay the shuttle fee from the hotel to the pier? Logistically I have no idea what makes the most sense and will be the most cost effective. Will these private companies pick up at a hotel instead of at the airport? I have never left out of Port Canaveral and I just want to get this last piece of the puzzle in place and I don't want it to be a disaster!! Suggestions? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it were me I would stay in Cape Canaveral the night before the cruise and be fresh and ready to board your ship the next morning.

Check with Travelynx, Executive VIP Limo or Cocoa Beach Shuttle to see if you can get a decent rate to pick you up at MCO and take you to Canaveral since renting a car isn't working out. (Be sure to mention Cruise Critic because sometimes you can get a discount)

You didn't mention where you had reservations in Canaveral but Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn and Radisson At The Port are the three closest hotels to the Port. CI&S and RI both have a complimentary breakfast, Radisson does not but has a restaurant on site and Zacharys Family Restaurant next door and McDonalds across the street.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

You can likely rent two standard cars for about 1/2 of the cost for the mini-van (and if any of the six pack like my wife, the van would not be large enough! :o)

We prefer to stay in the Orlando area - more hotels and dining options; staying in PC/Cocoa Beach is also fine - you can drop the cars off the night before or in the morning and let the agency shuttle you to the port.

Keep checking the rental car prices, daily! I got a mini van through Dollar for $35 per day on our upcoming trip in FLL. For the return trip I snagged the same price with Alamo. I was able to find these prices through Costco travel online.

If you decide to go with a private transportation company,

I would recommend Executive vip limousine.

We are a family of 6 as well and have used them before

and the service was really great.

Just received a quote for our upcoming cruise in November.

Suburban for 6 is $140 each way.

Limousine for 6 is $175 each way.

We are doing the limo to the ship and the Suburban back

to Orlando Airport.