!!! HELP !!! - should we go for this Canada/New England Cruise?

bobnsofi

Hi All,

In our neck of the cruise woods (Mexican Riviera), Route/Days/Port Duration is SUPER IMPORTANT to us

We have been wanting to cruise out of NYC for years, and have a deposit on the Carnival Splendor 09/13/14 (we have been on this PINK ship before)

??? Why are there so few cruises that do this route... nasty weather ???

??? Why does Splendor do this run in the Fall... changing leaf colors ???

??? We will be in NYC anyway on 09/20/14, and thought we would cruise also... perhaps an alternative plan ???

??? What would you local experts suggest for mid September in the NYC area ???

!!! Thanks in Advance !!!

NovaScotia_zps4f7e86f4.jpg

Edited by bobnsofi

Hi All,

In our neck of the cruise woods (Mexican Riviera), Route/Days/Port Duration is SUPER IMPORTANT to us

We have been wanting to cruise out of NYC for years, and have a deposit on the Carnival Splendor 09/13/14 (we have been on this PINK ship before)

??? Why are there so few cruises that do this route... nasty weather ???

??? Why does Splendor do this run in the Fall... changing leaf colors ???

??? We will be in NYC anyway on 09/20/14, and thought we would cruise also... perhaps an alternative plan ???

??? What would you local experts suggest for mid September in the NYC area ???

!!! Thanks in Advance !!!

NovaScotia_zps4f7e86f4.jpg

Hello BobnSofi,

Yes, you should do this cruise. We have done several Canada/New England cruises with Cunard and Celebrity and have enjoyed the ports very much.

September is a tricky time to cruise near the tail end of Hurricane Season. We were caught in Hurricane Earl in 2010 aboard the Celebrity Summit and it providing some hair raising moments.

Usually the captain will try and alter the route to avoid and bad weather condition but, sometimes you still end up getting some of the shock waves anyway.

Fall is a great time to cruise for the changing leaves. Boston is a great town and Halifax, NS is great fun to walk. Lots to do in Halifax including the Maritime Museum steps from the cruise pier and the mighty Citadel Fort high on a hill overlooking the harbor.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

One thing about the Canada/New England cruises I must warn you about is, don't be surprised if you don't see too much of the fall colors in the trees. I live in Vermont. Peak season is usually early to mid-October. You might see some color as you head north or in the mountains but, little or none further south.

Carnival cut back on their Canada itinerary this year for the first time since I started sailing, because they weren't selling at the rate they'd like. In the past we paid between $200-$300pp (with taxes) for a five day in an OV--this year they cut back and the rates have doubled as a result. I'm not sure why they do the longer ones in the fall, but you can't see the shoreline from the ship until you're pulling into port, so I'm not sure the answer is leaf-peeping.

I will say, this is hands down our favorite itinerary to do and if the rates weren't so wacky we'd have done a b2b again this year. The sail away from New York is pretty amazing--there's nothing like it.

Edited by Carnival_Brides