A(nother) SUNSHINE review from a review rookie 4-19-14 to 4-27-14

The boat ride over was about 20 minutes and we were a lot faster than the ferry would have been.

83_zpsc6b6e73d.jpg

84_zpsf017acf2.jpg

85_zps5eac342a.jpg

Once we arrived Kevin tied us up to a mooring line and we swam in to the beach. It wasn’t very far and quite nice. I was glad I bought the camera the night before. Every one designated our camera as their own for the day since these would be the only pictures anyone would have. We were given the choice to come back to this point or Kevin could move the boat to the other end and pick us up there. He said the swim out was a little longer on the other side so we opted for him to stay and we would walk back through. We figured we would only be there an hour or so.

89_zps6ad1a937.jpg

Swimming up to the beach

90_zpse03c24c9.jpg

Our boat from the beach

We were dropped off on the far end away from the entrance part of The Baths and would actually be walking through them backwards. We hoped to beat the crowds and for the most part we did. There was another ship in port that arrived at 7 but it didn’t seem like too many people were there. We started on our adventure through these amazing rocks.

95_zps433e4f6d.jpg

Bryan and Karen

93_zps7659a618.jpg

Lil B and Michelle

94_zps51127b45.jpg

Me and my Sweetie

91_zps4c250ff9.jpg

Alex

96_zps60608f04.jpg

Paul. I guess Paul and Alex didn't want their picture together. Sounds like them

My guess you bought Olympus TG 830 since we saw it onboard during our cruise. Just before our last cruise bought latest one TG 850 love this camera.

:D

Edited by Redcat

It wasn’t long before we realized the crowds were coming and we were going the wrong way. I didn’t mind stopping and looking around while we waited but there were spots where we hit a large tour of maybe 100 and then the congestion was pretty bad. I had to take the camera from Gina to make sure we got something other than butt shots of people. Here are Gina’s pictures.

100_zpsa3faf2af.jpg

105_zps89bee9a3.jpg

114_zps7c19c290.jpg

And here is when I took the camera.

103_zps7bdc1447.jpg

113_zps1edac0dd.jpg

116_zps44fbdb8a.jpg

My guess you bought Olympus TG 830 since we saw it onboard during our cruise. Just before our last cruise bought latest one TG 850 love this camera.

:D

I can't remember the model number and the camera is at home but it was the one on sale for $319 with the regular price being $399. Not sure how true the regular price is but we couldn't find it cheaper on Amazon. For our rookie knowledge it really did a nice job and now we will make it our carry around camera on future cruises and just bring out the bigger one for the island shots coming into port.

One of the guides along the way suggested on our way back through that we could swim on the outside of the rocks to our boat. He said there are plenty of spots where you can walk in shallow water and the swimming parts weren’t all that bad. Once we reached the end (actually the beginning) we stopped for a drink at the little bar and enjoyed the beach. This was a really pretty spot.

126_zps50b3fc20.jpg

128_zps401e8656.jpg

129_zpse143f9bf.jpg

131_zpse4b584ba.jpg

133_zpsc6fbeef1.jpg

134_zps7b618f6a.jpg

The group decided to take the swimming option instead of fighting the same crowd back and we all set off. We soon realized the guide was probably trying to make more room for his group because there were not really any spots to walk. It was a long swim but I was able to stop and get a few pictures along the way.

139_zpsb1e3e110.jpg

140_zpsde1361ef.jpg

142_zpsd91d592d.jpg

143_zps1fcbb29e.jpg

145_zpsab6ae506.jpg

Once we were all in the boat we headed for Jost Van Dyke and the Soggy Dollar Bar. I have seen this bar on the travel channel many times when they do some of the best beach bar shows and I am in love with beach bars. Once all our kids are grown I am seriously thinking about selling everything and buying one. The ride over was about 45 to 50 minutes. And here comes White Bay where the Soggy Dollar Bar is located. Kevin said this is the place to be during the day because of how nice the beach is. I have to agree.

146_zps94b4ec63.jpg

149_zps949bc186.jpg

151_zps3ee1bf2f.jpg

153_zps461bb851.jpg

154_zps4654f17a.jpg

155_zpsb0a337c9.jpg

We dropped anchor and everyone grabbed their money and swam in (hence the name of the bar). Kevin suggested we order food right away because the people were on “island time”. He wasn’t kidding. The place was hopping to begin with and with only a few people taking orders it was pretty slow but how could you complain looking at this.

158_zps82daa50a.jpg

159_zps508d55f7.jpg

160_zps4c8c729b.jpg

161_zps75993459.jpg

164_zpsc19c396d.jpg

165_zpsc677be1e.jpg

We all finally ordered and sat down with our drinks. The girls found the gift shop and Gina got me a shirt so I can day dream while at work. After the food and a few beers I was ready for my next bar. There is a Kenny Chesney song that mentions two bars from this island. One is Ivan’s which is in the same bay as The Soggy Dollar and the other is Foxy’s which is in the next bay. We made our way down the beach to Ivan’s for another drink when we came across the path from Hell.

194_zps845b76cd.jpg

The view from the path was beautiful so I painfully stopped for a few pictures

190_zps12a194b2.jpg

192_zps2da23b1b.jpg

193_zps28708c81.jpg

If we had worn shoes this would be fine but being barefoot almost killed me. Once we made it though I was ready to abandon my tour and ask for a job. I don’t need much if I can work someplace like this everyday.

195_zpse794cab6.jpg

196_zps16ebf170.jpg

198_zps207e9781.jpg

Alex and Gina found the gift shop

199_zps8ac00e47.jpg

I liked this poster

203_zpsdcb08a3d.jpg

207_zps2ea0a814.jpg

Michelle and Lil B hanging out at Ivan's with all their friends down in the Islands

We made the awful walk back and all headed to the boat. Kevin said he would take us to the next bay to stop at Foxy’s. The beach and bay weren’t quite as pretty as the last but we were told this is the night spot. They have really big parties especially for New Year’s Eve. I had to sample some Foxy’s fire water rum both in the shot form and a drink. It was really good and I am kicking myself now for not buying a bottle. First let's say goodbye to the Soggy Dollar.

212_zpsd2709fff.jpg

213_zps9e491a21.jpg

214_zpsd756bf5e.jpg

215_zpsc4729614.jpg

216_zps5f5a4ec0.jpg

217_zpsc6817fe4.jpg

After enjoying a drink it was time to head back to the Sunshine. It took us about 45 minutes to get there but along the way we could see St. Thomas and St. John as well as a host of other islands. The route Kevin took also meant we had gone all the way around Tortola.

248_zpsfa39a2fc.jpg

251_zps82b2aec8.jpg

254_zpsd473f58d.jpg

255_zpsb81242ba.jpg

256_zps8cc7eefa.jpg

265_zps8a90bee8.jpg

Kevin dropped us off right at the pier by the ship but after we paid and he left we realized the area we were in was locked. We were behind the check in point for cruise passengers but I guess it was a loading zone for other boats and they had locked the area for the day. Well that was not going to stop us and we pulled the fence apart and slipped in. We are so sneaky. The camera had died by this point so no pictures of us breaking any rules. :D

Once back on board we all went to clean up and agreed to meet at the lobby bar. Gina and I were ready a little early and went down with my better camera to get some pictures. I am not very good with a camera but Bryan in our group makes a little money back home taking pictures and was giving me pointers the whole trip. I don’t know if I will ever really get into it but it has been fun to dabble.

564_zpsc4e6b1ad.jpg

565_zps923a812b.jpg

567_zps9e9496d0.jpg

When every one arrived we were off to dinner and we were able to get our normal section tonight. It was so great being back in the comforts of our normal team. I skipped the desert part of the dinner because they were doing a Johnny Walker tasting outside of the shops.

Of course after dinner the group headed to trivia AGAIN. I found out after I showed up late that Gina had arranged to have an anniversary cake delivered to Paul and Alex that night. It wasn’t their anniversary but on their real one a few weeks earlier they didn’t get to spend it together. They liked the idea but were very shocked when the wait staff started singing to them.

This is the night when I was glad we went to trivia because we finally won and the 101 ounce tube of Red Frog Ale was ours.

298_zps07ce08f7.jpg

Our trivia host Alex having a beer with us

The guys felt a little bad because not all the girls wanted beer but I sure enjoyed it. After we won the tube of beer Trivia Master Alex stayed and had a drink with us. Once he let his guard down and joked around with us a little we really started to get along. If you have ever read the book Cruise Confidential you know of some of the crazy things the author says goes on with the crew. Alex had some great stories that fit right in with that book. Since there was no comedy tonight we stayed in the Red Frog Pub and hung out a little. It wasn’t long before we were headed to the room to see what our towel would change into tonight.

607_zpsd757f18b.jpg

Tomorrow is our day in St. Maarten and it’s another early start.

The group was up, fed and off the ship about 8:10 this morning. We grabbed a cab and were on our way to Simpson Bay to ride some contraption called the Rhino Rider. It was basically a Jet Ski type water craft except it was a tube around the outside and it had a 25 to 30 horse power out board motor on the back.

305_zpsa8253b49.jpg

307_zps078233eb.jpg

Our scheduled time was 9 and we were to be there at 8:45 to fill out the paperwork. All was going well until they told us where we were going. On the web site you could pick from two trips. The first (which is the one we picked) went to the beach and the second went snorkeling. We were told our group along with another family was going snorkeling. We informed them this was not our choice and they basically said you will have to wait 45 more minutes for the beach version of the trip. We opted to go snorkeling and not waste the time sitting there. The ride over was pretty fun and it is a great way to see the island.

315_zpse9c8212d.jpg

319_zpseaae1c80.jpg

Once we got to the area for our underwater adventure I was ready to try out the new camera in an underwater setting. I played with the underwater settings a little but it seemed to take better pictures in auto mode.

332_zps543066bc.jpg

338_zpsd5b5060e.jpg