A(nother) SUNSHINE review from a review rookie 4-19-14 to 4-27-14

AWESOME review!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for doing this!

We are looking at the Sunshine for April ( DD's Spring Break for 2015 )

Love that you are quick, and to the point.

And I don't mind the picture of the open toilet @ the Radisson:eek::eek:

:D:D:D

Billy!!! Reading your review is just like being back on the Freedom with you!! But where's the inflatable flamingo? That bird was VERY popular at the open bar CC M&G! :p:D

Can't wait to see more of your review... and say hi to Gina for us too! :) There's a few of us crusing again in Oct on the Conquest - you and Gina should join us then too! :D

Celine & John

Thank's for your review thus far.

Want to know if the inside cabins have a couch in them? We are booked in a port hole on the bottom deck & really like the couch.

This could be a deal breaker, still have time to cancel without a penalty.

Char

Lovin your review!! We"re fresh (ok maybe 2 weeks we"ve been home) off the Breeze and well had to book another to get over the Depression!! So the Sunshine it is next April, and gotta say your pics are helping!! Keep it coming!! OOh BTW how was the deck your cabin was on? My inlaws are in 8178, not too far from where you were...We also have cabins as well on same deck..But anxious to hear more, keep it coming my friend!!

not long for our turn, also sailed the Destiny & curious to see how the sunshine compares.

your pics of the serenity deck are among the best I've seen, cannot wait to hog a lounger;). jk were you able to grab a spot easily?

Edited by keishashadow

I have to say enjoying the review will be on Sunchine May 30th was on Legend while you guys were on Sunshine all that said my brother is Paul and sister in law is Alex and video of street is pure Alex gotta love her maybe one day we will cruise together glad you had fun but I understand you guys always find the fun. Bob;)

Thanks for the review. I have subscribed. I can't see the pictures at work, so I'm looking forward to getting home and checking them out. We will be on the Sunshine in October with our cruise buddies from SC.

The pictures aren't the best because I don't really know what I'm doing but I hope you enjoy them anyways. Have fun in October!! Cruising seems a lot more fun when you have friends to tag along!!

AWESOME review!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for doing this!

We are looking at the Sunshine for April ( DD's Spring Break for 2015 )

Love that you are quick, and to the point.

And I don't mind the picture of the open toilet @ the Radisson:eek::eek:

:D:D:D

Thank you for reading!! This was a spring break cruise for sure with the amount of kids there were but it was a blast. Have fun in April and I'm glad you don't mind the toilet shot...I couldn't resist.

Thank's for your review thus far.

Want to know if the inside cabins have a couch in them? We are booked in a port hole on the bottom deck & really like the couch.

This could be a deal breaker, still have time to cancel without a penalty.

Char

Thank you for following. There was not a couch in the inside we had. Not sure about the port hole room but not having a couch was a pain when I was waiting for Gina to get ready but we made it work.

So many great reviews on cc lately. Glad to that you are one of them as well. I now have another great cc member to follow. Thanks for sharing.

There have been a lot of great reviews lately. They always help me along until the next time I get to leave. Thanks for reading!

Billy!!! Reading your review is just like being back on the Freedom with you!! But where's the inflatable flamingo? That bird was VERY popular at the open bar CC M&G! :p:D

Can't wait to see more of your review... and say hi to Gina for us too! :) There's a few of us crusing again in Oct on the Conquest - you and Gina should join us then too! :D

Celine & John

Well hello there strangers!!!! Nice to hear from you!!! This trip it was inflatable ducks to honor Easter and I believe I have some pictures of that coming up. Wish we could join you on the Conquest but we will be using up all the vacation time in August. We will be on the 13 day Legend from Tampa to LA. Had to mark the Panama Canal off the bucket list!!! Gina says hello and have fun in October!!

Lovin your review!! We"re fresh (ok maybe 2 weeks we"ve been home) off the Breeze and well had to book another to get over the Depression!! So the Sunshine it is next April, and gotta say your pics are helping!! Keep it coming!! OOh BTW how was the deck your cabin was on? My inlaws are in 8178, not too far from where you were...We also have cabins as well on same deck..But anxious to hear more, keep it coming my friend!!

Thanks for reading and we are considering the Breeze next year so can't wait for that one!! We loved deck 8 as it was close to the pool areas without the noise, but you could put us in the laundry room and we would be happy just to be at sea!!

not long for our turn, also sailed the Destiny & curious to see how the sunshine compares.

your pics of the serenity deck are among the best I've seen, cannot wait to hog a lounger;). jk were you able to grab a spot easily?

I'm glad you like the pictures and thanks for reading along!! If you wanted a chair by the pool you really had to be there before 8 but the top part of serenity had chairs until about 9. You could always follow the chair police and jump in a freshly empty one!! :D

Thanks for the review, we'll be sailing on her in November. We are also staying at the Radisson. We won't have a car but from your pictures it looks like there are restaurants nearby that we can walk to.

Thanks for reading!! There really is enough close by to get a good meal and the Radisson is a great spot to hang out!! I hope you have a blast in November!

I have to say enjoying the review will be on Sunchine May 30th was on Legend while you guys were on Sunshine all that said my brother is Paul and sister in law is Alex and video of street is pure Alex gotta love her maybe one day we will cruise together glad you had fun but I understand you guys always find the fun. Bob;)

How funny cause we are going on the Legend next. It really must be an Alex thing!! Have fun in just over a week and thank you for reading.

Thanks for the report!

Thanks for reading!!

I have to start this day by apologizing for not getting many pictures. With the warm sun and all the relaxing we did today there wasn’t much thought given to the camera.

Part of my not being able to stay up so late anymore is due to the fact that I get up at 6 AM every day. I guess over time your body just gets used to it and it becomes harder to sleep in. My DW can usually sleep in a lot later than I can but she wanted a good chair on serenity today so she was up pretty early. I followed behind her thinking I can sleep in my chair in the sun. She was out by the water fall shortly after 7 and I think I was there close to 7:30. This has to be the first cruise I have been on where the sticker police were enforcing the rules. I don’t care one way or the other and I don’t want to start a debate here but I mention it because of the humor factor. I am very easily amused and can be entertained by the simplest things. The workers performing the task have a tough job and took a few tongue lashings from some angry guests but they handled it well. It was quite the game between these guys and the chair hogs. Lot’s of covert operations coming in behind them and swiping the stickers and then the guys returning to see the stickers gone and looking puzzled. This was better than the shows on board. DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT GO TO ANY OF THE SHOWS.

We lounged around till about noon and decided to head to lunch. For those wondering no we did not save our chairs. We were planning to do the Super trivia after lunch and weren’t coming back. I enjoyed another burrito with my favorite sauce on it.

The super trivia was at 1:30 and was a bit different. The host was the same Alex from the night before but this one involved dice and categories and all kinds of stuff to make you think more. There were a lot of people ready to play and we were asked to be in large teams of 5 or more. I think our group ended up having like 10 or 12. I was sitting by the host stand and could see that we had the most points at the end of the game but Alex then announced this would be a running game with three rounds played on each of the sea days. I figured we will miss at least one of those days but it was fun for a while.

After Trivia we decided to head to the cabin and get ready for formal night. All of the ladies wanted extra time to prepare and get in a quick nap. We headed to dinner around 6 again and we were able to sit in our normal section. Formal night is when most people look forward to the lobster tail but Gina is allergic to shell fish so we skip that part. She also is not a big steak eater so that is out. I honestly don’t remember what she had but it can be a struggle to find something she likes. Oh well we always have room service or pizza later. One of the time honored traditions of Gina not only on a cruise but anywhere we go is to photo bomb other people. I have to include a photo of Paul turning the table on her.

512_zpsef6ed4a9.jpg

After dinner you can probably guess where we went. Yep…trivia. I normally would not play trivia this much but when the prize is a 101 ounce tube of beer or a fish bowl cocktail it ups the stakes. The good thing is the nightly game lasted about 30 minutes and you were on your way. We came close for the second night in a row but no go on the drinks.

Next up we rushed to the Comedy Club to get some seats. We were about 40 minutes early to the show and the place was over half full already. We love going to the adult comedy shows on all of our cruises but I have to say this was our worst experience. The comics were fine (tonight was Russ Nagel) but the venue is horrible. They have made it so small that the seating capacity is next to nothing. Then after you would think the place is packed they let enough people in for standing room but that actually blocks the view of a lot of the seats. You have all the seats around the side of the stage that have to watch on the monitor which in my opinion isn’t big enough to cover the area. I don’t know if they just do this on the Sunshine or if other ships are moving to this but they also had the same comic perform all night instead of the comics alternating. The later shows were repeats so if you caught the first there was no reason to stay for the others. I guess this allows more people to see the shows as they did clear the room but we really liked being able to see two comics in one night. We wandered around a bit after wards and then decided to call it a night. In our room was animal number 2.

515_zps7c785fd6.jpg

I didn’t take many pictures today since we had explored most of the ship and we relaxed most of the time. We had an early morning in Grand Turk the next day and I was ready for the pool and some room to swim. I can’t believe this cruise is going by so fast.

We were up really early today so that we could enjoy Margaritaville as much as possible. We all met for breakfast around 6:15 or so and joined the masses to get off the ship at 7. Actually the crowds weren’t too bad as I guess people were sleeping in. I think we were going to be joined in port by another ship so it would be more crowded than normal. We found a prime spot next to the pool and set up shop. The day before I used SPF 70 sunscreen to be safe but it seemed I lost color so today was going to be 30. Had I reapplied at ALL I might have been fine. Luckily it was just my upper arms and shoulders that burned but it wasn’t too bad. It can be hard to start drinking that early in the morning but this place just seems to put you in the mood. After about an hour of taking pictures and lounging around we ordered the first round of drinks.

703_zpscc653c5c.jpg

704_zps39d3bc99.jpg

705_zpsa4153446.jpg

55_zps2e7376e3.jpg

56_zps9f9842bc.jpg

57_zpse972b5a6.jpg

Some of the group decided to take a stroll down the beach to Jack’s Shack for a visit. It always provides such beautiful shots of the ship from these beaches.

58_zps75a28e16.jpg

59_zpsf83f6dad.jpg

61_zps49b6fcd2.jpg

Here comes the Splendor to join us!!

62_zps82ea6e12.jpg

63_zpsc103a217.jpg

64_zps54cd1376.jpg

Karen enjoying the Jack Shack mascot!!

We really got our first taste of spring break while we were here. A party atmosphere you ask? NOPE!!! The pool was overtaken with kids. I do love kids as I have 3 of my own but this was crazy. Some of the kids started playing with a tennis ball in the pool and when you are drinking and talking to people with your back turned that can spell disaster. I only had to threaten to throw the ball into the ocean once so not too bad. They were having fun too and did move away after we asked so all was good. Paul and Alex brought our blender cups from last time with them so we were able to buy drinks at the refill prices. This really saved on the bill. Not a bad deal if you are driving to the cruise and have the room.

60_zpsb2abce68.jpg

One more of the pool

54_zps0b826160.jpg

Lil B and I volunteered for one of the contests. First you had to do a sexy dance then we had a beer chugging contest. I am not a dazzling dancer and there were too many kids to make it nasty so I walked around on my hands for something different. I love beer but I have learned to enjoy the taste and not slam them down. Half way down I realized there is no way I’m going to win this so I just stopped and figured hey “I’ll just enjoy the free beer”. Two guys tied so they each got another one for a chug off.

Little did I know that while I was participating in the contest Paul was drinking the beer I asked him to hold for me. In the end Paul got the free beer. What a guy!! I guess he has adopted my saying of “free is in my budget”.

We enjoyed the pool till about 1 and decided to pack it up and head back to the ship for some lunch. I needed to get to the burrito bar before it closed. Every one grabbed what they wanted and then went to clean up and get a nap. We decided to try the sports trivia in the EA sports bar at 5:30 before heading off to dinner. Now this was my kind of trivia. We took first place and received medals for our victory. We had already done more trivia than I ever had before but it ended with a victory this time.

Dinner was again a blast with the “best wait staff ever” and the time it took to get our food was amazing. I hate sitting through a two hour dinner but every night except one we were done inside an hour and a half. I give all the credit to this group as they really were the best we have ever had.

After dinner were of course the 8 PM trivia and then the 9:15 comedy show. Tonight was Dean Gaines and even though we had seen him before his show was new for the most part. The guy does a great Obama impersonation. We wandered about afterwards and then headed to the room. Another towel folded into an odd shape was there.

516_zpse2ba5ec1.jpg

Next up is St. Thomas and a simple day at the beach.

This looks so awesome. We are from Fort Worth going on the same ship and same hotel in July. I have a question....Is there somewhere close to the hotel to buy cokes, juice or water in 12 packs?

I hope you have a blast!! There is a Race Trak less than a block away you can buy all this stuff at but of course you pay gas station prices. We went to Publix but that is a few miles down the road so not really within walking distance unless you need a good workout before you get on the cruise!!! :D

We slept in a little today and then headed up to serenity to start our relaxation. After going to St. Thomas so many times and having big plans in some of the other ports we decided today was going to be simple. I was taking my cooler off the ship with me and loading up on some beers from a store across the street. We would then hit a beach we hadn’t been to and enjoy the ocean. Here are a few shots coming into St. Thomas.

527_zps55265219.jpg

528_zps58125836.jpg

529_zpsca79c3a7.jpg

530_zpsa0d9aa32.jpg

531_zps6c860aae.jpg

Here are a few of the ship from that morning.

535_zpsd4e7d282.jpg

537_zps15440b7a.jpg

The ship was a little late coming in to port so we had time to hit the burrito bar at noon. The first thing we had to do when we got off the ship is hit the Pandora store. Gina loves Pandora and getting a charm in port on vacation means more than buying it at home. She picked out the passport charm and off we went to buy the beers. After loading up the cooler we grabbed a cab to Emerald beach and were off. I didn’t have a waterproof camera (yet) so I didn’t get any pictures. The beach wasn’t as pretty as some of the others we have been to in St. Thomas but it was not crowded at all. There were six ships in port today so that was a big concern for us. They did have chairs and umbrellas out in front of a couple of hotels but we opted to lay our towels out and just relax. Gina brought a dollar store float from home to use today. We try and find some kids on the beach to leave it with when we are done so it gets more use.

Lil B had his heart set on a new watch so we packed up around 3:30 to head to downtown. We were told that the shops all close around 5 and he would be out of luck after that. Imagine the delight on Gina’s face when we found another Pandora store. What the heck we are on vacation sweetie. She bought the crab charm this time. I hope she isn’t trying to tell me something.

While every one was shopping my small bladder started yelling at me. My search for a restroom began. After winding down back alley paths and between shops I finally came across one but the dreaded worker with the tip bucket is waiting at the door. I don’t mind tipping the people that do this but after checking my bag I didn’t have any small bills. You can’t please everyone every time but I did feel bad. Once we were done shopping more than half the group had to use the rest room now including me again. This time I got some change as I didn’t want to go back with a crowd and not leave something. The lady was very friendly both times and seemed very grateful for the tip. We made our way back to the ship in the busy rush hour.

As late as it was we knew we would not make dinner by 6 so we all just decided to get ready and go as quickly as possible. It wasn’t soon enough because by the time we got there our favorite staff had a full section. We were seated in another section in the back with a much better view of the island. The staff didn’t know us like the other group but they were very nice and I had no complaints. The head waiter was very amusing during show time as he danced with a boa on. I left my camera in the room by accident so I missed the pictures of this but it will forever be etched in my mind.

The rest of the evening consisted of the typical trivia at 8 even though I think we were a little late (which did not set well with the Master of Trivia Alex) and then the comedian. Gina and I had been discussing getting an underwater camera and we noticed one we liked for sale in the photo area. While we were shopping in town earlier we checked out Amazon on our phones to see if the price was good. Seemed to be a good deal when you figure no tax or shipping and the fact we would need one the next day if we wanted pictures so we bought it. We headed to the room to charge it up and get ready for bed. This guy was waiting.

546_zps2255395b.jpg

Tomorrow was the port I was most excited about and my favorite day on the cruise, Tortola. With our new waterproof camera in hand I was able to take many more pictures.

Today was the excursion that I had planned for the group. The price was a bit high when you consider what we normally spend for a day but it combined two things I really wanted to do. First and most importantly I wanted to see The Baths on Virgin Gorda. I had done my research and had the options through Carnival as well as the ferry but Paul in our group had also looked into going to Jost Van Dyke and visiting the famous Soggy Dollar Bar. I was bound and determined to find a way to do both. After many searches, emails and phone calls we found One Love Charters based in St. Thomas. Our total price for the tour came out to $115 per person for 8 people and that covered the boat rental, captain fee, fuel, and customs charge. They would take us to The Baths first thing in the morning, to Jost Van Dyke for the afternoon and then right back to the ship. We were up before breakfast time to take some pictures coming in to port. I love being able to see so many little islands bunched together.

547_zpsc290eeb0.jpg

548_zps00b92d56.jpg

549_zps3f01706e.jpg

550_zps94231fa1.jpg

553_zps56f07282.jpg

551_zpsecd9fb7c.jpg

The meeting spot for our charter was the ferry terminal at 8:30. The Sunshine docked on schedule at 8 and we were off and going. It was about a 15 minute walk through town and was very easy to find. You really just had to follow all the other people headed to the ferry. Here are some shots along the way.

74_zps924dfd19.jpg

75_zpsde9aaa4f.jpg

79_zpsef18165b.jpg

Our captain Kevin was there waiting for the customs office to open so we all used the potty and put our sun screen on while we waited. They were a little late opening but we were on the boat and off by about 9. We could only see the MSC ship but here are a few pictures.

80_zpsea0772b4.jpg

81_zps9e8ecb15.jpg

82_zpsc8464c16.jpg