Regal Princess - Soot Problems - Is it resolved

Lanwood

I know its early days with the Regal Princess just setting of, but we have booked a suite on her for next year (AFT) so need to determine whether the soot issues are fixed or still ongoing. Any one who is sailing on her in the near future - would love for you to comment when done. Or anyone else with any info - most welcome.

The S2 (aft owners) balcony's are costing considerably more for the itinerary, than if we get an S5 (penthouse). This would be a waste if the balcony's are unuseable - as that's really the only point of difference between the cabins.

We still have time to change........:confused:

The Regal may never have had soot problems... if you were sailing on the Royal, then that question could be addressed.

I think the key word there is "May". Given she only set sailed on her maiden cruise yesterday, I doubt she would have the problem raised by passengers yet if there was one. I know the problems raised thus far has been from the Royal, but I also now the Regal is her sister built of the same plan. I don't know if they have made adjustments/tweeks to the design to address the issue on the second build, or if they had time to change spec's etc to do so - and have not seen any posts/threads that can say so, only more questions....

I contacted Princess to enquire if the Soot issues have continued onto the Regal Princess, being same design spec as the Royal. I received a response today, and I quote:

"the issue you mentioned involving soot on balconies of Aft suites onboard Royal Princess has been addressed in the building of Regal Princess. I understand there have been some modifications made to the funnel, ...."

They also stated they had contacted the Regal to confirm the soot issues are not occurring. This is very good news for those of us who have booked or are considering to book Aft balconies. Hope this is of use if you're sitting on the fence. Glad I got in now before they all go - they're huge balconies back there compared to the rest of the ship's....

"the issue you mentioned involving soot on balconies of Aft suites onboard Royal Princess has been addressed in the building of Regal Princess. I understand there have been some modifications made to the funnel, ...."

They also stated they had contacted the Regal to confirm the soot issues are not occurring. This is very good news for those of us who have booked or are considering to book Aft balconies. Hope this is of use if you're sitting on the fence. Glad I got in now before they all go - they're huge balconies back there compared to the rest of the ship's....

Personally, I'd like to hear from somebody who has actually cruised in an aft balcony cabin rather than rely on a Princess Customer Service Representative. I certainly hope the information you received is confirmed.

Lew

Personally, I'd like to hear from somebody who has actually cruised in an aft balcony cabin rather than rely on a Princess Customer Service Representative. I certainly hope the information you received is confirmed.

Lew

I don't know Bob, but I think Lew here has a valid point here. :D

• 5 months later...

I have just posted a longer reply in another thread on this subject but we had an aft balcony cabin on the Regal in September and could nor use our balcony for sitting/sun-bathing the entire 12 days as the soot returned as quick as it was cleaned up. I think the wind direction and strength may make a difference on how big a problem it is but unfortunately for us it was a real nuisance.