Hotel Day Pass?

pisces0318

Prepping for our last cruise we found some great advice on these boards and bought a day pass to a resort in Bahamas that included lunch and the use of the resort pools. Does Bermuda offer this type of option? My kids love the beach but they also enjoyed the pool and still talk about that day 4 years later. Any suggestions?

Also what is the best beach for young kids? Mine are 9 and 7.

Thanks in advance!

We were there in March and people were swimming, so I think it is heated. As to the passes, I would email the hotel to make the reservation, and then you pay when you get there. For the 4 of you it is likely easier to take a taxi directly there than deal with the bus.

info@cocoreef.bm

Lunch Menu

12346_508469865919786_203355359868721257_n.jpg

I am doing this one day during our cruise. FYI - children under 11 are free (lunch is extra assuming you want to feed them :)) I made a reservation via email and we pay when we get there.

I just spent the day at Coco Reef and highly recommend it. There can't be a more beautiful spot on the island to have lunch. There are large comfortable change rooms right next to the pool with private shower. As far as I could tell the pool is not heated. The resort and beach was not crowded - plenty of loungers & lots of pink sand.

The menu posted above is still the current menu, btw.

Taxi fare is approx $42 from the pier. I noticed there is a bus stop about 200 yards from the hotel (at the college). You do have to walk up a sizeable hill to get to the hotel from the bus stop.

The one issue people with young children might have is that the undertow is strong on the south beaches.

Edited by Booth44

Does anyone happen to know how many people can fit in a cab? Are they mini vans? We are a party of 10 so I guess we may need 2 cabs.

Also do the cabs take credit cards or just cash. Do you pay in US dollars on the island?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Also on day pass...Does anyone know what is included for the lunch from the menu posted?

Really getting excited!!!

The menu from last summer was not as extensive. It was a special menu for those that bought Day Passes.

Does anyone happen to know how many people can fit in a cab? Are they mini vans? We are a party of 10 so I guess we may need 2 cabs.

Also do the cabs take credit cards or just cash. Do you pay in US dollars on the island?

Thanks!

The cabs take cash only.

I just spent the day at Coco Reef and highly recommend it. There can't be a more beautiful spot on the island to have lunch. There are large comfortable change rooms right next to the pool with private shower. As far as I could tell the pool is not heated. The resort and beach was not crowded - plenty of loungers & lots of pink sand.

The menu posted above is still the current menu, btw.

Taxi fare is approx $42 from the pier. I noticed there is a bus stop about 200 yards from the hotel (at the college). You do have to walk up a sizeable hill to get to the hotel from the bus stop.

The one issue people with young children might have is that the undertow is strong on the south beaches.

We have a party of 4 so would the price double for 4?

Just another option for anyone else interested, Elbow Beach is situated on a gorgeous beach and also has restaurants and bars if you just want to use the beach -

http://www.elbowbeachbermuda.com/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Brand+%7C+Exact&utm_content=Mandarin+Oriental&utm_keyword=mandarin%20oriental%20elbow%20beach

From the concierge:

The day pass that we offer is $495.00 which is a Spa Cabana that accommodates 6 people overlooking the pool and it comes with towels, full mini bar, fruit platter and more you can have lunch at Mickey’s at the beach and use the beach.

The other option would be to rent a chair / umbrella on the public side for $65.00 and bring your own towel.

Can you tell me if there are a lot of steps down to the beach? It's hard to tell from the photo. Also is there much walking involved to get to the pool, restaurant?

There are stairs, and they're not in good condition, either. Here are two recent posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42887258&postcount=19

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42887930&postcount=20

Edited by njhorseman

Can you tell me if there are a lot of steps down to the beach? It's hard to tell from the photo. Also is there much walking involved to get to the pool, restaurant?

I actually have not been yet, but I have been corresponding with the hotel because my mother is in a wheelchair (the hotel is NOT handicapped accessible). There are many steps down to the beach, unfortunately. There are a few steps to the restaurant and then several steps down from the restaurant to the pool. It is also possible to go around the side of the resort to access another staircase to the pool that has only a few steps. My mother will not go to the beach, just the restaurant and the pool if we can manage it. They told me that the restaurant staff will help us lift the wheelchair up and down the few steps. Fingers crossed that this will work out for us. The restaurant patio also overlooks the pool, so if we cannot manage the pool stairs with the wheelchair she will stay up there. She really wants to just come along so she can see her grandchildren swimming in the pool and enjoy lunch with us.

As for the steps, yes, there are many steps to get down to the beach. The photo in the previous post showing the steps, is deceiving. There are actually three or four sections like this to get down to the water's edge. They stop at different levels of the property where there are chairs set up. The steps last year were not in good condition and neither were the railings. I don't know how agile your mom is, but I would say it would be a problem for anyone with mobility problems to get down to the beach. As far as the restaurant and pool, you will walk through their lobby to get to the restaurant and then down a few steps again to get to the pool. Coco Reef is a lovely place, just be cautious with someone that has trouble walking and climbing steps.

I actually have not been yet, but I have been corresponding with the hotel because my mother is in a wheelchair (the hotel is NOT handicapped accessible). There are many steps down to the beach, unfortunately. There are a few steps to the restaurant and then several steps down from the restaurant to the pool. It is also possible to go around the side of the resort to access another staircase to the pool that has only a few steps. My mother will not go to the beach, just the restaurant and the pool if we can manage it. They told me that the restaurant staff will help us lift the wheelchair up and down the few steps. Fingers crossed that this will work out for us. The restaurant patio also overlooks the pool, so if we cannot manage the pool stairs with the wheelchair she will stay up there. She really wants to just come along so she can see her grandchildren swimming in the pool and enjoy lunch with us.

The staircase to the side of the property is much more than a few steps. It is a steep section of stairs and, in fact , you can see it in the photo that was posted previously. It's the one with the woman walking the beach.

The staircase to the side of the property is much more than a few steps. It is a steep section of stairs and, in fact , you can see it in the photo that was posted previously. It's the one with the woman walking the beach.

Thanks, but I didn't mean the steps to the beach. The reservations agent at the hotel told me she wouldn't be able to manage the steps to the beach. She told me that there is a side entrance to the pool with just a few steps, versus the several steps directly from the restaurant patio down to the pool.

How was the beach and walk into the ocean? I have read a few reviews on trip advisor that stated that the water had a lot of coral and it was difficult to walk.

Anyone know if this is a good description of the water?

Last year when we were there, it was low tide and we walked at the ocean's edge, around the rocks and walked along Elbow Beach. The water was rough. It seemed rougher than Horseshoe Bay when we were there the day before. We really didn't swim in the water but walked knee deep along the ocean. The sand was smooth and soft at the water's edge.

The restaurant patio also overlooks the pool, so if we cannot manage the pool stairs with the wheelchair she will stay up there. She really wants to just come along so she can see her grandchildren swimming in the pool and enjoy lunch with us.

I think she will be fine. The front of the patio is the best seat in the house - even better than being poolside. It's nicely shaded with the pool only about eight feet directly below. I'm not one to sit still for long stretches at a time but that's one spot I'd happily sit and stare out at the water all day long.:)

To be sure, the stairs leading down to the main beach at CoCo Reef are nearing the end of their useful life, but I don't really agree with the notion that they are unsafe or unstable. You might get a splinter if you aren't wearing proper footwear at worst. The towels and duct tape aren't there for structural support - they're there to prevent people from getting scraped should they accidently bump into the end of the railing.

As a general rule I agree that the resort is not ideal for people with mobility issues, though. There are some VERY steep slopes along the walkways, especially as you get closer to the beach.