Is Labadee Haiti wheelchair accessible?

smith93m

Very wheelchair accessible. Lots of sidewalk. Also if you want to go out to the sand they have beach wheelchairs. We've been there many times so I just got off last time to see the changes since the dock was put in. Have fun.

There's a limited amount of beach wheelchairs and are on a first come first served basis. Also you are not allowed to keep the wheelchair for the entire time that you're on the island as there can be others waiting to use one. Generally an RCCL staff member will push you to where you want to go and than come back for you when needed.

Yes, just make sure you stay on the paved path. we were with a bunch of people once that had strollers, and we tried to go to a particular spot & veered off the main paved path onto some other path and ran into stairs going up and over some rocky hilly area, had to backtrack very far to get back and go around. Make sure you take a map of the island with you.

My experience with the wheelchair on the sidewalks was quite an adventure. There were very wide gaps between the concrete and many time my hubby would have to pull the chair over in reverse.

We also had a heck of a time riding on the tram to the beach on the far side. There was no real storage area designed for the chair and I was afraid we were going to lose it on the bumpy ride.

I would do some research with your ship's accessibility dept. I do remember seeing large golf cars on the island but I'm not sure who is permitted to use them. Perhaps they are for crew and not passengers.

Edited by seeshore

Three of us on scooters when we were in Labadee in February and we rented an accessible cabana....pricey ($250) but WELL worth the $$. Doing it again when we return on the Freedom of the Seas!

DSC05949.JPG

Edited by nieciez

Three of us on scooters when we were in Labadee in February and we rented an accessible cabana....pricey ($250) but WELL worth the $$. Doing it again when we return on the Freedom of the Seas!

DSC05949.JPG

Which cabana was this and how did you book it? Would love to do this for our November cruise.

My sister and I are going on Allure this summer and one of the stops is Haiti. She has MS and uses a scooter (Luggie) but can walk a few steps with a cane. Last summer when we were on Oasis we went to the beach in St. Maartin. It worked but was a bit of a challenge getting onto the beach. I noticed this listing when I was reviewing the excursions. This may be a wonderful option - pricey but could be worth it. Thanks for the info.

One quick question - how easy is it to get to the beach from the cabana?

Using a cane, walker or standard wheelchair it can be quite difficult. Mobility scooters don't work on the beach.

If you have assistance from RCCL staff using one of RCCL's beach wheelchairs it's a lot easier. However the beach wheel chairs are on a first come first served basis.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 2 weeks later...
Is cococay as accessible as Labadee?

About the same. The biggest difference is that Coco Cay is a tendered port. The tender is wheelchair accessible but depending on weather and sea conditions it's at the total discretion of the Caption if wheelchairs and or scooter will be allowed on the tender due to safety risks. Coco Cay in general is notorious for weather conditions which cause the port stop to be canceled.

One quick question - how easy is it to get to the beach from the cabana?

It depends on your mobiltiy without your scooter. I can walk with a cane for about a city block generally. From the cabana to the beach is accessible via a concrete ramp with handrails which I had no trouble navigating. Then once I got to the bottom of the ramp it was not a far walk to the water. I left my cane at the ramp and my husband walked near me and we held hands but he really wasn't holding me up. I found the sand pretty firm. And once I was at the water's edge I found the entry into the water very firm and no drop offs like at some beaches. It was the best beach water experience I've had in years and I am looking foward to returning.

Also, there were 3 of us on scooters and we had no problem driving our scooters pretty close to the cabana then "parked" them then the RCI staff had a multi person golf cart that got us the rest of the way. My two friends who traveled with me are NOT as good on their feet as me and they did VERY well with this setup.

It depends on your mobiltiy without your scooter. I can walk with a cane for about a city block generally. From the cabana to the beach is accessible via a concrete ramp with handrails which I had no trouble navigating. Then once I got to the bottom of the ramp it was not a far walk to the water. I left my cane at the ramp and my husband walked near me and we held hands but he really wasn't holding me up. I found the sand pretty firm. And once I was at the water's edge I found the entry into the water very firm and no drop offs like at some beaches. It was the best beach water experience I've had in years and I am looking foward to returning.

Also, there were 3 of us on scooters and we had no problem driving our scooters pretty close to the cabana then "parked" them then the RCI staff had a multi person golf cart that got us the rest of the way. My two friends who traveled with me are NOT as good on their feet as me and they did VERY well with this setup.

Exactly what I figured. She's pretty good - she only uses the scooter when she has to go any distance of more than a block or two. We did what you and your husband did in St. Maartin last year. I love the idea of the cabana - she can get out of the direct heat if needed. Just waiting on RCI Access to confirm.