NCL Epic - Selecting a Balcony Cabin?

tgallag

We are ready to book our second cruise. NCL Epic, December 7.

Our first cruise was booked by someone else so it was easy.

We know we want a balcony cabin. Needs a good view (no lifeboats, pillars, other obstructions), quiet, no racket, cigarettes or debris falling on us from public areas. Enough room to sit out for coffee or cocktails. Bed somewhat near the balcony would be nice (will want the balcony door open at night for a breeze).

We don't mind a long walk from an elevator and would prefer the quiet of being away from it.

How the heck do I choose a cabin based on all that? Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you look at the Epic deck plan, one of the wall is curved out. That's where the bed head is. Choose the one near the balcony as per your preference.

Epic balconies are roomy enough, but be aware that there are different types of balcony. Some are uncovered - which you don't want. Search this forum for sdmike. He writes good advise on Epic cabins.

While the balcony is roomy, Epic just put a tiny table there. I ask for one more from our room attendant. At least with two tables we can place the room service tray safely.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful.

I did this search:

Search: Keyword(s): cabin epic ; Posts Made By: sdmike

It returned all kinds of terrific information about the cabins. Hopefully I can narrow things down and book soon.

Thanks again,

OP -

There's lots of epic info in my signature area. Make sure you're aware of hull balconies, uncovered balconies, and those above or below noisy areas. Decks 10-13 are generally awesome and avoid everything you're looking to avoid.

Edited by sdmike

I don't know if you have considered a B1 Aft facing balcony. The balconies are larger, especially the corner cabins on decks 9 through 11 which are even larger than the other afts. We had 11313 and loved it. So quiet back there with nothing but the sound of the wake. Since you are on the back of the ship, any smoke next door would be drawn straight back behind the ship instead of drifting to the next balcony. On the deck plans, the blank spaces on the port and starboard corners are the "secret stairs". There is a very large area here with several open windows with views out to either port or starboard. Our door was right next to this area and we often went out there when we wanted to see down the side of the ship or look forward.

Edited by punkincc

Thanks for the suggestion on the aft balcony. We had considered it (a couple we were with had one on our last cruise) but the reviews of Epic aft balconies have been less than glowing. Yours was the first positive comment I have seen.

It seems you were not bothered by the bar a few decks up?

Thanks,

Yikes - we're booked on the Epic for Dec. 21 - and all this balcony talk is making me very stressed! We are considering an aft balcony - but the positives and negatives have left my head spinning!

Thanks everyone; I have a 24 hour courtesy hold on #12165. Thoughts?

Also; should I buy the cancellation insurance? Prepaid service charge?

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks everyone; I have a 24 hour courtesy hold on #12165. Thoughts?

Also; should I buy the cancellation insurance? Prepaid service charge?

Thanks for all your help.

Stick with deck 11 or lower, and try for a corner. 12 is ok if that's all you can get. Definitely don't go higher than that, or you will hear noise from Spice. Edited - I see you didn't book an aft-facing cabin. You should be fine in the cabin you picked!

Edited by SissasMomE

Yikes - we're booked on the Epic for Dec. 21 - and all this balcony talk is making me very stressed! We are considering an aft balcony - but the positives and negatives have left my head spinning!

If you are the type of people who like to sleep in, then don't book it. If you want to be up when you pull into port and start your day, then go ahead and book it. Get the corner though. The balconies are much larger!

If you are the type of people who like to sleep in, then don't book it. If you want to be up when you pull into port and start your day, then go ahead and book it. Get the corner though. The balconies are much larger!

I don't think we've ever slept in. We're usually up by 7. Is there some unusual noise in the morning? It's my favourite time of day. We're booking this afternoon - I'll ask about the corner cabins.

We have a hold on 12313. I also have the choice of 12312. Thoughts?

For both of those rooms, the bed is near the door and not the balcony. Also, being on deck 12 you might get some late night noise from deck 15, but probably not a big deal. Also, being in an aft you will get vibration while the ship maneuvers into port. This will be lessened the higher up you go, but you'll still have sone

See if you can get 309 or 310 on deck 10-13. Those will have the bed placement that you want, plus a larger balcony on the corners.

I don't think we've ever slept in. We're usually up by 7. Is there some unusual noise in the morning? It's my favourite time of day. We're booking this afternoon - I'll ask about the corner cabins.

When the ship pulls into port, there is noise and also vibrations in the aft. It was never a big deal to us because we were up anyway. The only day it was ever an issue was coming back into Miami on the last day. I believe it started around 4 am LOL We have had the same aft-facing balcony cabin for our last two cruises on the Epic, and are probably going to have it again for our upcoming Epic trip. Those corners are great!!

For both of those rooms, the bed is near the door and not the balcony. Also, being on deck 12 you might get some late night noise from deck 15, but probably not a big deal. Also, being in an aft you will get vibration while the ship maneuvers into port. This will be lessened the higher up you go, but you'll still have sone

See if you can get 309 or 310 on deck 10-13. Those will have the bed placement that you want, plus a larger balcony on the corners.

Bed placement isn't too important to us. I would like a larger balcony. I'll do my best!

ave

We have changed our cabin to 12310. Thank you for all the good advice! I know we're going to love having the bigger balcony.

• 4 years later...
Was the balcony covered

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rather than opening years old threads and asking questions of cruisers who might not see your post why not start a new thread and ask your question? The answer to your question is yes. Balcony 12310 on the Epic is covered as are all of the aft facing balconies on the Epic. I found you a couple videos that may be of assistance. For some reason the links aren't "clickable" so you'll need to copy and paste into your browser.

Here is a youtube video of Epic 12310

Here is another youtube video of aft facing balcony on the Epic - not sure what stateroom. The video is larger format and also gives you a look at the exterior of the Epic.