Rental cars and the Ironman Triathalon

SweetEmi

I remember last year there were some disappointed people because there were no cars in Hilo during the time of the Ironman Triathalon in Kona. This year the triathalon is on 10/15 but count on the week before as being Triathalon week (the parade is on the 11th for instance). So, if you want a car during that 2 week period, I would make sure to reserve early.

Emi

Guest nhrich

It may not matter whether you reserve early or not. We reserved early for our day in Hilo on PoA last October for the week after the triathalon, and Alamo still did not have a car for us when we got there (even after reconfirming). Many agencies send their Hilo cars to Kona for the week and it takes a while to get them back. Harper was the only one that had any vehicles available.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

• 1 month later...

Oh this is so great to know. One of my fellow cruisemates allerted me to the Ironman thing and we'll be there on Mon Oct 10th. Glad I got my car reserved, but I'm concerned there won't be one when we get there. Guess I need to have a Plan B.

Thanks Sweet Emi for the heads up!

Thanks for posting this, Emi. We'll be there on the 11th; would love to see the parade, but the ship sails at 6pm. Shucks!

Do you know where's good to buy stuff like the IronMan t-shirt or cap or something? I suppose the King Kamehameha hotel?

Appreciate any info you might have. It'll be fun to be a part of the excitement. :)

Noreen.

fyi - we were there 2 years ago and quite a few of the stores along the main street (to the right when you walk off the pier) had Ironman hats and t-shirts for sale. My husband jumped in the water and swam a few strokes just so he could say he did part of the Triathalon :rolleyes:

We'll be there a few days after the event this year - counting the days!!

Yes, it is possible for the car rental companies to be out of cars. Car rentals do not require a credit card deposit, so there is no guarantee that there will be car there waiting for you...unlike hotel rooms that actually charge your credit card for a one night's guarantee. We have reserved cars on the islands, only to be waiting at the car company rental counter for the next car to be returned...sometimes hours later. If folks do not bring their cars back at the specified time...then those folks at the counter have to wait until a car becomes available. Therefore, even though you have a confirmation number, that is no guarantee that a car will be waiting for you. This is one of the good points and bad points of car rentals. There is NO obligation...but no guarantee!

Archived