Allure B2B **Double** Trip Review 5/4/14 - 5/18/14 (lots o' pics)!!!

Compass5_zpse1f21e93.pngCompass6_zps7c91fa25.png

Such a sad day for so many people – the end of their vacation. We decided to leave the ship and see the sights in Ft. Lauderdale. It was a very easy process. We went to the Cupcake Cupboard at 8:45 am to pick up new Sea Pass cards and In Transit cards. By 9:11 am we were through customs and in a taxi headed to the Las Olas beach area and the H2O Café for breakfast. There are many places along the beach serving breakfast, but SolsticeAZ really wanted to try the breakfast sandwich at the H2O Café.

InTransitPass_zps940a79cb.png

H2OCafe_zps5e42ddbd.png

Mimosa_zps60233223.pngBloodyMary_zpsf27e61dd.png

Naturally, we had to get drinks – a Mimosa and one of the best Bloody Marys I’ve ever had.

Pancakes_zps6eaafc12.png

BreakfastSandwich_zpsc5ba90a6.png

Food was Pancakes (excellent), some sausages, and the breakfast sandwich – basically a grilled ham and cheese with egg and tomato. I had a bite – it was amazing.

After walking the beach to try and burn off breakfast, we decided to try the water taxi. It was well worth it. For $22, you get an all-day ticket so you can get on and off as many times as you want.

WaterTaxi1_zpsaedbf3d5.png

WaterTaxi2_zpsaa19e3e5.png

It takes you past all the ridiculous mansions and yachts along the intercoastal and canals.

Mansion_zps4a41fcfe.png

Mansion2_zps5d0afd55.png

Yacht_zps076a8461.png

ShallowArea_zps3705c68d.png

This one is for sale. Only $94 million, what a bargain! There are also shallow spots where the canals meet. People hang out and party there. From the ridiculous to the sublime.

Back on board, we hit a bit of a snafu. I guess there was some problem with our Sea Pass cards. I couldn’t tell if it was the old man “helping” in the terminal who kept scanning our cards while the security person was telling him to stop, or if there was another problem with the system. After about 10 minutes at Guest Services (and four more Sea Pass cards printed up), we were back in business.

Snacks_zps8ae54a56.png

A small bite at Café Promenade really hit the spot. The Cafe Promenade menu:

CafePromenadeMenu_zps682bb200.png

MangoLavaFlow_zps31529ad6.png

We had a couple of Mango Lava Flows for sail-away, this time from the public aft balcony on deck 14. It gave us a fantastic view of the city and beaches.

Sailaway1_zpsa2e56450.png

Sailaway2_zps2c238ad1.png

SambaGrill_zpse6ffa5bc.png

Dinner was a Samba Grill, in the Solarium which had great food, but was a bit different and you should not go unless you are starving – it was a ton of food.

SambaMenu1_zps808dbddd.pngSambaMenu2_zps283707d2.png

Tapas_zpsce74dd46.png

While they have a menu (as you can see), we weren’t given one. The whole dinner is controlled through a light at the table. Starters are buffet-style and consisted of some fantastic sliced meats, cheeses and other South American delights. I did some beef salads, crostini, and cured meats. All were delicious.

Sides_zpsea19a12d.png

Sauces_zpsd2158930.png

When we switched the light to Green, they brought out our sides and dipping sauces (red bell pepper, plain salt, and chimi-churi: yum).

Then, one by one, they brought out different cooked meats, some which were carved table-side from the skewer. In all there were nine (urp)! All were delicious, but without knowing what order they were arriving or even what was available, it was a bit strange. I’m not sure I’d do it again.

Filet_zps1b42ab52.png

LambChop_zps67f46d2a.png

The tenderloin and lamb chop. Everything was really delicious.

Dessert_zpsb59b3a1f.png

They brought desert even though we said no. We did a small bite of each, and they were very good.

Right after dinner we saw OceanAria, the water show. It is basically a knock-off of the Cirque de Soleil show “O” at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Having seen “O” several times, they did it justice and put on a very enjoyable show. Here are a bunch of photos – I’ll leave you guys to figure out what’s happening. Yea, I’m that lazy. I promise not to be lazy for the rest of the review.

Oceanaria-3_zpscc5100ef.png

Oceanaria15_zps41ffcd2f.png

Oceanaria16_zpsa1c0ed26.png

Oceanaria17_zpsb86c44a0.png

Yep, he dove off the very top. This is why this show sometimes gets rescheduled to later in the cruise - Captain Johnny sometimes forgets he's not riding his motorcycle (kidding). No, it's not Captain Johnny's fault. Blame the wind and seas.

Courvoisier_zps247d593c.png

For a nightcap, I did a Courvoisier, slightly warmed. Delicious, if you like that kind of thing, and I do! I'll tell you all about the Bahamas tomorrow...

Day 8/1: In Which We Are Visitors In Our Own Country

Turnaround day – a sad day for everyone else (including the crewmembers, who have to get everyone off the ship, set everything up, and be happy and friendly for a whole new group of folks), but a great day if you get to do another week. As AZAfcionado described, we decided to head into Fort Lauderdale, where we enjoyed a delicious (and huge!!) breakfast at H2O Café (if you get there, try the egg sandwich. Seriously, it is to die for. Maybe literally – I will check with my cardiologist.).

Once back on the ship, and with working SeaPass cards, I ended up at the champagne bar where I enjoyed a Berry Acai “margarita.” It’s not on the menu – one of the bartenders invented it. It’s a margarita with Berry Acai vodka substituted for the tequila, and it is amazing.

Margarita_zps1f9423d9.png

We moved on to dinner at Samba Grill. AZAficionado is right – it’s good but too much. And I give you fair warning – the cheese bread they offer is dangerously addictive and filling. Enjoy more than one piece at your own risk.

We chose a spectacular Sena Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile to accompany the meal. It had a spicy aroma and a berry and spice flavor and was perfectly dry. It’s worth noting that the wine list of Samba was the 150 Central Park list.

Wine_zpsb1015528.png

OceanAria

After dinner was OceanAria – in my opinion, the best show on the ship. The theme involves an underwater society and mimics the old Cirque du Soleil concept of a “normal” person getting pulled into the underwater world. The show combines diving, trampoline stunts, water acts, an awesome strength/balancing act, and dancing, all set to great music. The imagery (very Nordic), costuming, and choreography were outstanding. There are screens on each side of the “stage” that show either lights/color that enhance the show or slow-motion shots of the amazing dives. Seriously, these folks are high-diving into a pool that looks only slightly larger than my bathtub, hanging out underwater for a bit, and then coming up to do dance and acrobatics. There’s also plenty of humor involving, again, that “normal” guy – who (spoiler alert) is probably the best diver in the group. This is, in my opinion, a must-see. Make your reservations online, because the show will be packed. If it gets cancelled because of weather (again, high diving into a bathtub on a moving ship), they will reschedule to another date and time.

Oceanaria_zpsc233bd67.png

SolsticeAZ's Art Corner

Sign_zps7eab8906.png

Sculpture_zps7c9c8fd9.png

Art_zps4ee7bc10.png

What an amazing review! I'm sailing her November 9th which will be my second cruise ever, first being on the Carnival Paradise in April. I can't wait! The ship looks amazing. Thanks for taking the time to write that review!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What an amazing review! I'm sailing her November 9th which will be my second cruise ever, first being on the Carnival Paradise in April. I can't wait! The ship looks amazing. Thanks for taking the time to write that review!

Thank you for the very kind words. Allure is amazing, but she will spoil you. Enjoy your cruise on her!

did you post all the cruise compasses & I missed them I anly see day 1 could you post all 7 please

So far, I've posted each cruise compass with the appropriate day (8 total, 7 for the first cruise and 1 for the second). The other 6 for the second cruise will be coming. Stay tuned.

I'm reluctant to post all 14 cruise compasses (at 6 pages each) all at once. That would be 84 photos in a row and would result in lots of duplication (more than half are already posted). I'm not sure that would be much fun to page through for most people. Sorry. Eventually, all of them will be in this thread. I promise. :)

One question about Starbucks- are there any Allure exclusive Starbucks mugs available to purchase that you noticed

I didn't pay much attention (too busy getting coffee) and found a free alternative to Starbucks in the Diamond Lounge a few days into the cruise (wasn't at Starbucks much). But it did appear that the Starbucks was identical to a land-based Starbucks in every detail, including the merchandise. So, I'm guessing "no" on the special mug.

Thanks! I am certain you will love Allure -- enjoy!

This is one of the best photo reviews I've read on CC. Thanks for the hard work you're putting into it!!!

Thank you very much (and thanks to AZAficionado, who has put in the vast majority of the hard work on this)!

"Right after dinner we saw OceanAria, the water show. It is basically a knock-off of the Cirque de Soleil show “O” at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Having seen “O” several times, they did it justice and put on a very enjoyable show. Here are a bunch of photos – I’ll leave you guys to figure out what’s happening. Yea, I’m that lazy. I promise not to be lazy for the rest of the review."

I am so jealous that you saw "O" - and more than once - that's on my bucket list. Is it worth it to go to Las Vegas mainly to see that show? (We'd go to others, too, of course) Not so much for the gambling.

Does Oasis have this show, too, or just Allure? Another bucket list item is to sail a transatlantic on one of these ships. But I'd have to go solo which is fine. I've done a Disney TA by myself and had the best time ever!

We've never been on RC before but we have a FOS cruise booked for next summer. I am just beginning my research and I stumbled upon your other review. When I noticed that you would be on Allure the next week, I was hoping you'd do another review. I love your writing style and thank you so much for all your pics and information! Where are you going next???

I am so jealous that you saw "O" - and more than once - that's on my bucket list. Is it worth it to go to Las Vegas mainly to see that show? (We'd go to others, too, of course) Not so much for the gambling.

It is certainly worth a trip to "Sin City" to see the sights (there are many) and the shows. Just to see the resort attractions (Belagio fountains, Venetian gondolas, Mirage volcano) will take a couple of days. In addition to "O", I highly recommend Ka (at MGM), Le Reve (at Wynn), and Mystere (although prepare for some creepy weirdness with that last one). All are worth the very steep price for admission.

Does Oasis have this show, too, or just Allure? Another bucket list item is to sail a transatlantic on one of these ships. But I'd have to go solo which is fine. I've done a Disney TA by myself and had the best time ever!
Oasis has an aquatheater and their show is called Oasis of Dreams. We didn't get to see it on our Oasis trip (too rough that night).
We've never been on RC before but we have a FOS cruise booked for next summer. I am just beginning my research and I stumbled upon your other review. When I noticed that you would be on Allure the next week, I was hoping you'd do another review. I love your writing style and thank you so much for all your pics and information! Where are you going next???
Still Freedom is my favorite class of ship. I think that'll be after her drydock and refit. As for what's next (see my sig), that'll be the Panama Canal on Legend of the Seas. Back to "small ship" cruising where the MDR is one of the few dining options and Bingo is the premier activity. ;)

Still Freedom is my favorite class of ship. I think that'll be after her drydock and refit. As for what's next (see my sig), that'll be the Panama Canal on Legend of the Seas. Back to "small ship" cruising where the MDR is one of the few dining options and Bingo is the premier activity. ;)

Hi, I was wondering what makes the FOS your favorite class? We have only been on the Voyager class ships (with RCI) and I have been looking at a B2B on Oasis or Freedom/Independance. I would love to get your opinion as having been on both. We normally pick for the ports but both these class of ships go to ports we have mostly been to so it will be more about the ship.

Thank you & still loving the review!!!!

Carla :)

As for Falmouth, there is the port (built by RCI) and the town (historic, but poorer than poor). The port area is secure and only vendors are allowed in - as safe as you're going to get off the ship. My Oasis cruise was the first time an Oasis-class ship docked there. The port area was nothing more than a sand lot. The town was little more than tin shacks and hovels. When you see it, you'll think not much has changed, but trust me the difference has been drastic and for the better. Even so, I wouldn't recommend the town of Falmouth as there isn't much to see. But the people are just poor.

Having been to Falmouth for the first time aboard Independence of the Seas in March, 2013, I would highly recommend the walking tour offered by RCCL.

We were taken on the tour throughout the town by a local. Although there were not a lot of sights, it was nice to "really" see the town in a safe and secure way.

Hi, I was wondering what makes the FOS your favorite class? We have only been on the Voyager class ships (with RCI) and I have been looking at a B2B on Oasis or Freedom/Independance. I would love to get your opinion as having been on both. We normally pick for the ports but both these class of ships go to ports we have mostly been to so it will be more about the ship.

Thank you & still loving the review!!!!

Carla :)

Even though this question was directed at my better half (and I know he will chime in), I will give you my answer - since Freedom is my favorite class too. For me, it's about the blend of amenities and human interaction. Freedom has a lot of "big ship" amenities, like the Royal Promenade, multiple specialty restaurants, the Flowrider (even though I sucked at it), etc. At the same time, it keeps a little bit of the "small ship" feel, where you get to know your fellow passengers - something that was hard to do on Oasis/Allure, because there are so many things to do at any given time that you don't see the same folks over and over again. Either way, though, you really can't go wrong - both classes are awesome!

Having been to Falmouth for the first time aboard Independence of the Seas in March, 2013, I would highly recommend the walking tour offered by RCCL.

We were taken on the tour throughout the town by a local. Although there were not a lot of sights, it was nice to "really" see the town in a safe and secure way.

That sounds very interesting - I'd like to do that next time I am in Falmouth. Thanks!

I am so enjoying your review. I leave on my first B2B, and first cruise on the Allure (have been on the Oasis) in just 28 days. Can't wait. Your review is helping me to pass the time, and really getting me excited about my cruise. Thanks for posting.

Edited by sleepless