Allure B2B **Double** Trip Review 5/4/14 - 5/18/14 (lots o' pics)!!!

Hi, I was wondering what makes the FOS your favorite class? We have only been on the Voyager class ships (with RCI) and I have been looking at a B2B on Oasis or Freedom/Independance. I would love to get your opinion as having been on both. We normally pick for the ports but both these class of ships go to ports we have mostly been to so it will be more about the ship.

Thank you & still loving the review!!!!

Carla

I have several reasons, starting with ports of call. First is Coco Cay, which I think is certainly better than Labadee and a fantastic port if you like sun & fun, which I do. The big ships swap that for Nassau which I'm no fan of. Second is Grand Cayman, which is also a great port. So, to me the ports are part of the equation.

Next, is the amenity that only Freedom class ships have (and hopefully won't get removed with the next refit) - the Connoisseur's Club or "Cigar Lounge". Being able to sit on a leather sofa, indoors, get served drinks, all while smoking a cigar rates pretty highly with me.

However, the biggest reason Freedom is my favorite is what Solstice said - you get lots of amenities and still have that traditional cruise ship feel. You have dining options, but not so many that you can completely ignore the MDR like we did on Allure. There's lots of places to hang out, but they are mostly located on the Promenade (in the same area), not scattered about the ship. I guess with the big ships, each time I step into a neighborhood is like a trip to the mall - it is full of people and there is a chance I'll see someone I know, but it isn't likely.

Having been to Falmouth for the first time aboard Independence of the Seas in March, 2013, I would highly recommend the walking tour offered by RCCL.

We were taken on the tour throughout the town by a local. Although there were not a lot of sights, it was nice to "really" see the town in a safe and secure way.

That would be really cool to see. I've only done the free "Rapid Bus Tour" on the way to other areas of Jamaica.;)

I am so enjoying your review. I leave on my first B2B, and first cruise on the Allure (have been on the Oasis) in just 28 days. Can't wait. Your review is helping me to pass the time, and really getting me excited about my cruise. Thanks for posting.

You are most welcome. I'm really happy that you are liking it so much. Enjoy your B2B!:)

Compass5_zpsf87cfd6a.pngCompass6_zps05b36ac8.png

Nassau_zpseaa585a0.png

DisneyShip_zps43ad74b8.png

No time to sleep in as we got into port at 7:00 am. Our plan was to head out to Cable Beach, several miles up the road from the port. However, it was mostly cloudy and sprinkling rain for most of the morning – which is very typical for the tropics. Instead, we just walked around. The Disney Dream pulled into port a few hours later. That's Junkanoo Beach in the foreground, which is pretty much right at the end of the pier.

Drinks_zps5c7412f3.png

Lunch_zps23e295ad.png

Lunch was at Sharkeez, right by the port. Rum drinks and conch fritters hit the spot.

Atlantis_zps9e7da99f.png

We had to be back on board by 1:30 pm, just about the time it cleared up and became a simply beautiful day. Given how Mother Nature tends to operate in the caribbean (rainy mornings) and the times that Allure is in Nassau (morning), I wasn't overly impressed. But that’s alright, we have two more stops for plenty of beach time. I've been to the Bahamas many times before, and while it can be nice, it has never really impressed me. Maybe I'm just particular (aka difficult). Me? Never!

After relaxing on the balcony, we did some gambling ($6 blackjack) where the cards were less than kind, but we still had a fun time.

Henry_zpsaa2e2331.png

Watch out for these guys. They hang out in the hallways and are often up to no good. I'm watching you, Henry.

Band_zps6e51f63e.png

It was formal night again, and they had a nice band playing in the Promenade above the Cupcake Cupboard.

Wine_zps40c53e37.png

Dinner was a 150 Central Park again, with the same menu. I probably mentioned this earlier, but they change the menu mid-week. So, if you go more than once and want variety, book accordingly. We decided to change things up and order a bottle of wine rather than doing the pairings. I’ll let SolsticeAZ talk about the bottle and why we chose it.

However, here is the 150 wine menu:

150WineMenu1_zps066c09d7.png150WineMenu2_zps85a3ae18.png

150Cocktail_zps1f6f7d99.png

Our waiter, who was also our waiter last time at 150, provided complimentary house cocktails for the courses that did not pair well with our wine. It’s Grey Goose, lemon grass, cucumber and some sour mix – it was an excellent palate cleanser and was very fresh to pair with the lighter dishes. Again, the dining experience and service were second to none.

Cigars_zps74206d97.png

Cigars were in the Solarium, which is a really great venue even if it gets a bit windy. We enjoyed a couple of Montecristo Opens, which is a cigar line I particularly like. It is a bit milder than the standard line, but still has a nice full, robust flavor. Naturally, they are not available in the US or on board (duh, Cubans). On a side note, the whole embargo thing is just plain stupid at this point. There, I said it.

Our late night entertainment was the Black/White party at Blaze, which was like any other night at Blaze. Many people were dressed for the occasion, but only because most formal wear tends to be black and white. So, nothing special, but still a good time. Sorry, no pic. Just imagine semi-drunk people in formal wear dancing (or trying to dance).

TowelDino_zps751d75a5.png

We stopped in briefly at Jazz on 4 and really enjoyed the band. The band was really good and played a variety of songs. Beware of dinosaurs when returning to your cabin at night. We called it a mostly early night, because of the early start in the morning. I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow…

I am so enjoying your review. I leave on my first B2B, and first cruise on the Allure (have been on the Oasis) in just 28 days. Can't wait. Your review is helping me to pass the time, and really getting me excited about my cruise. Thanks for posting.

Thanks so much! The first time you do a B2B is an amazing experience (at least it was for me), and the Allure is an awesome choice for it. Have fun!

Day 9/2: In Which I Am Underwhelmed

AZAficionado mentioned we “walked around” in Nassau. In fact, we walked about three miles down the coast, which means we got to see a lot of the island, and I didn’t love what I saw. Upkeep was a real issue, trash was abundant, and it’s clear that the island is very poor. We saw a lot of abandoned houses, although one in particular was very gothic and cool looking.

Nassau2_zpsdc6b6e3f.png

I was not thrilled with Nassau. You get in very early, spend very little time there, and leave very early. Honestly, I would have been perfectly happy with a sea day instead.

Nassau1_zps198658b4.png

Nassau3_zps32b4f966.png

Dinner was at 150 Central Park again. Instead of doing the wine pairings, we chose to do a bottle of wine: Michel Picard Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru. It was a beautiful example of a French burgundy, and was subtle but flavorful enough to go with most of the dishes on the menu (it paired particularly well with the fish dish, believe it or not). It had a cherry/mushroom aroma (much better than it sounds) and tasted of earth and cherries on the palate. If you choose to dine at 150 and do a bottle, I highly recommend something similar to what we did – depending on the menu, of course, but French burgundies tend to be very flexible in what you can pair them with.

SolsticeAZ's Art Corner

Art1_zpsddb0d29e.png

Art2_zpseee09bc4.png

Art3_zps7a69e960.png

Ok so I went back and this time I clicked on everything and found the cruise compass I was looking for.

This review is great has everything I wanted to know about this ship .Looking foward to the rest

i'm very glad you found what you were looking for and that you're enjoying the review. Thanks for your kind comments!

I agree with you about Nassau, DW and I were there this past Oct and things haven't got much better. For our trip this Oct we will most likely stay on the ship since we have been there several time before and would rather enjoy the ship.

I agree with you about Nassau, DW and I were there this past Oct and things haven't got much better. For our trip this Oct we will most likely stay on the ship since we have been there several time before and would rather enjoy the ship.

It's really a shame, since I love exploring different ports of call rather than staying on the ship, but I think I may end up staying on board next time. Hope you enjoy your trip in October.

Ok so I went back and this time I clicked on everything and found the cruise compass I was looking for.

This review is great has everything I wanted to know about this ship .Looking foward to the rest

Glad you found what you were looking for.:) I tried to cover everything on the ship, but there are things I missed. There is just so much and I was trying to be on vacation.;)

I normally say that if the ship is in port, you should at least get off to look around. The way Allure does Nassau makes me want to say the opposite and recommend staying on board. It is a shame because I think Nassau could be a worthy port (there are good beaches, Atlantis, etc.), but the time factor just kills it. Enjoy in October!

Compass5_zpsa6cca916.pngCompass6_zps66e9447e.png

The early alarm (8:00 am) was not welcomed, but it was necessary as we booked the All Access Tour at 9:00 am. This is a chance to see what happens behind the scenes and even allows access to secure areas that most crew members never get to see.

They gave us this fact sheet.

FunFacts1_zpsa9425062.png

FunFacts2_zpsaa382f8a.png

Pancakes_zps0898825e.png

ShrimpCocktail_zpsb02243f9.png

They started in the galleys – there are three decks of them! Pancakes, anyone? They are way ahead of the game, preparing most items in advance. This was tonight’s Shrimp Cocktail.

Stairwell_zps278a46f3.png

The crew stairwells are rather steep and narrow.

PastryGalley_zps8279eded.png

Bread2_zps2dce227d.png

Then it was on to the bakery, where they can churn out all those dinner rolls very quickly. This machine spits them out very quickly and all they have to do is put them on a baking sheet and then it’s into the oven.

BreakfastChefs_zps43449a94.png

We went past the cooks making breakfast.

Breakfast_zps4cfe5f93.png

BeefLocker_zpsbd4c77e2.png

We were treated to chocolate covered strawberries and fresh ice cream. Then it was onto the procurement area where all the supplies are kept. They have a collection of freezers and refrigerators for just about everything and each one is enormous. This one is for beef.

FishLocker_zps1e9ee45d.png

PoultryLocker_zps0e31a4f6.png

Fish and then poultry (this prevents cross-contamination).

ProduceLocker_zps0a4cc38e.png

LoadingDoors_zps4cc1c22c.png

Finally, one of the produce lockers. These are the loading doors that they open at the start of each cruise.

I-95_zps796bc35e.png

Recycling_zps17a98c62.png

This is the main corridor down the center of the ship. They call it the I-95. Then it was on to waste disposal where we got to see the recycling and incineration operations.

Engineering_zps3669e8ca.png

Engineering2_zpsa2f692e6.png

Deckplans_zps83e33248.png

Next was the engine control room, which almost nobody gets to see. They had monitors for everything. Also the conference table had detailed plans for the entire ship.

LuggageCarts_zps57dd0a1e.png

We passed by several areas like this one where all the baggage carts are kept.

Washers2_zpsdbb2bef5.png

TweenDeck_zps11225ce6.png

Then we saw the ship’s laundry, which is on Deck 0 (below the water line). Parts of it extend below to the “Tween Deck”. Note the washers, which are huge.

WashersTop_zps2c0c8f39.png

Washers_zpsb0bbbec0.png

The entire laundry operation is simply amazing and only needs to operate for 10 hours each day to process all the laundry on the ship.

Disco_zps32192745.png

Backstage_zpsd3ec8892.png

We got to see the crew disco, where the crew can relax in their time off. Then, it was backstage where the set for Blue Planet was stored.

MooseampSquirrel_zpsb45b736c.png

Then it was on to the Moose and Squirrel, a pub for the crew which is a bit quieter than the disco.

GameRoom_zpse00f18ca.png

GameRoom2_zps81c590f1.png

They have game rooms with computers, videos games and the like.

WidowmakerBar_zps398b703b.png

Helipad_zpsb63103ab.png

Under the helipad is the outdoor crew bar, where we were treated to a complimentary drink. I was super windy, but they still let us onto the helipad.

Bridge_zps0951b0c5.png

BridgeOfficers_zps3d96141d.png

Finally, it was off to the bridge. That’s the first officer in the chair and second officer who showed us around. One piece of information they shared that I found interesting: even during sea trials when they were trying to see how much the ship would list (roll to one side), they could only get it to 3 ½ degrees, which isn’t much at all. For you non-nautical people, Allure is a very stable ship that doesn’t like to move around a lot. This is good if you are prone to motion sickness.

ShipVitals_zpsf2103556.png

Bikes_zps21583d25.png

All the vital stats were listed. The bridge also doubles as Captain Johnny’s garage. That’s his scooter and one of his Harleys.

BridgeView_zps26d24597.png

The view is spectacular, as you might expect. It took about 2 ½ hours to complete and we got some swag at the end – an All Access Tour tote bag and apron.

Lunch_zps3dbaa4fc.png

Cupcakes_zps0d02a2d5.png

We did lunch at the Solarium Bistro, which was nice. It was basically like the Windjammer but with lighter and healthier food (lots of low-fat stuff, etc.) I went for a salad and some kind of smoked turkey crepe, which was really good. Later, I had to get something from the Cupcake Cupboard. Only one cupcake for me per cruise, because their stuff is amazingly good.

PinotGrigio_zpsde71303a.png

CoffeeMaker_zpsceeb5b17.png

Later in the afternoon we grabbed a glass of Pinot Grigio at Vintages. As SolsticeAZ got a Spa treatment, I enjoyed a cigar and espresso on deck. A really nice perk is the coffee and espresso machine in the Diamond Club. Sorry, Starbuck’s. I’m a coffee snob, but if I can get what I want for free, I’m all over it.

ChefsTable_zpsf1c3eaab.png

Dinner was the Chef’s Table again. Same menu, same wines, same chef, same sommelier, and still worth it. It was every bit as enjoyable as the first time. They were really nice and gave us a different edition of the cook book. This one has the recipe for the Park Café Roast Beef sandwich. Score!!!

Dinner ran rather late (10:30-ish), so we just hung out a bit before going to bed. We had to get our rest before St. Thomas, which I’ll tell you all about tomorrow…

Loving this review, only three weeks until our Allure cruise, with a week in Vegas first :-)

Can you tell me how you can book the Captain's table for dinner.i can't see it on the online dining options?

Thanks

Pat

Loving this review, only three weeks until our Allure cruise, with a week in Vegas first :-)

I glad you are enjoying it. Vegas then Allure - going all out! Have fun.

Can you tell me how you can book the Captain's table for dinner.i can't see it on the online dining options?

Thanks

Pat

There is a long-running thread discussing how to get invited to the Captain's table for dinner which is full of speculation and myths. Personally, I'd just swing by the bridge with a box of cereal or golf balls as a bribe...

Oh, wait...I think you mean the Chef's Table, which is entirely different. You can book that online, or once on the ship.

There is a long-running thread discussing how to get invited to the Captain's table for dinner which is full of speculation and myths. Personally, I'd just swing by the bridge with a box of cereal or golf balls as a bribe...

Or maybe a can of motor oil, since my Harley friends tell me that if it ain't leaking, it's dry.:D

Day 10/2: In Which I Am Reminded That I Shouldn’t Complain About My Job

I cannot recommend the All Access Tour highly enough. The sheer magnitude and complexity of what happens behind the scenes on the Allure is mind-blowing, and visiting the engineering space and the bridge was a real treat. What I found most impressive, however, was how hard every single crewmember on this ship clearly works – some of them in conditions that can only be described as brutal (the laundry, in particular, was blazing hot and filled with machinery that looked more than capable of removing major body parts). These folks work for 6 months without a full day off, and yet every crewmember we saw had a smile and a greeting for us. I’m going to have to keep that in mind next time I am sitting in my air-conditioned office griping about taking another conference call.

Shrimp_zps743a2bf2.png

After a quick lunch, I headed off to my second pedicure of the vacation (please don’t judge me – pedicures are my idea of relaxation!!). Unlike the first one, though, this was not relaxing. The spa had clearly overbooked the nail techs, so they kept me waiting for quite a while, then made me fill out a questionnaire while I was hoping to just enjoy the pedicure, and then rushed the treatment and sent me off with oily feet and wet toenails. Oh, and the entire treatment was punctuated with attempts to sell me other products. Really – this is not a major complaint. I still got a lovely pedicure. It’s just interesting to see the difference of one week to the next.

SolsticeAZ's Art Corner

Art2_zpsf260d5be.png

Art1_zps99c76fa5.png

Art3_zps308cbaf6.png