Getting off cruise and flying out of Vancouver

Just a heads up:

We just got off the Pacific Princess and found a little problem at Vancouver Airport. Our flight didn't leave till 2:30 PM so we were in no particular rush to get to the airport.

We disembarked the ship at 9 AM (the last time available to leave the ship). We quickly got a cab and arrived at the airport before 10. When we got there, no one was at the US Air counter. We were told that they wouldn't show up at the counter until 11:30. US Air only has two flights a day (8 AM and 2:30 PM) and their employees are not there in between flights. Similarly, American Airlines doesn't have a flight to Dallas until 2:10, so their counter was also empty. I noticed that other US carriers also had empty counters during that time. So we waited for about an hour and a half.

Suggestion: If your cruise offers a tour of Vancouver prior to dropping passengers off at the Airport, you might want to consider taking it.

Also, YVR has a rather nice food court before security with a large variety of choices. 10 AM an odd time to eat but it was worth considering.

...Our flight didn't leave till 2:30 PM... We were told that they wouldn't show up at the counter until 11:30...

I'm afraid that is very common; staff shows up to the counter 3 hours prior to the scheduled flight time, so they were right on the money. Sorry you had to wait but I don't think it was unusual.

I'm afraid that is very common; staff shows up to the counter 3 hours prior to the scheduled flight time, so they were right on the money. Sorry you had to wait but I don't think it was unusual.

No, it's not unusual but folks in the same situation should know they will have to wait in the front of the airport with their luggage. Perhaps they could make other arrangements.