Live from Holland Oosterdam May 25, Vancouver-Anchorage-Denali 21night Alaska trip

aerospace

With the Alaska portion of your trip nearly over, I am hoping you have time to post more Denali pictures!

I haven't got many requests so Ive been posting linear but I will make sure to post a few for you. I'm actually in the airport in Anchorage waiting on a 2am flight x____x

They have wifi now I need to find a plug :)

I've cruised Alaska before and have read along with you....great posts and pictues.

But because you started your posts saying you were a HAL newbie, I'm very curious to hear your thoughts re your HAL experience in comparison to your other cruise lines. Please comment on the ship itself (size, its venues, activity areas) entertainment, quality of food, staterooms etc and anything else you feel is valuable info for someone (like me) trying to decide on perhaps my 1st HAL cruise after cruising Princess and Celebrity. I'm looking at the Oosterdam for a cruise in New Zealand/Australia waters.

I'd appreciate reading your perspectives to help make my decision, as I've heard great things regarding HAL from the loyal HAL'ers who remain loyal cruise after cruise, just as there are the loyal Princess and Celebrity cruisers. For me, I just want a good overall experience for my cruise dollars.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but perhaps you would finish up talking about your onboard experience.

Wishing you good future travels and I hope your Denali experience was everything you wanted it to be. :)

Ok so by request we will skip ahead for a minute, here are some Denali shots from early in my trip. I don't expect Denver to be nearly as busy 24/7 so I should be able to post a lot(if the wifi is decent)

c9a1aa_18afaedbb0b84f9e9dec6fd1f2e61172.jpg_srz_p_837_628_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^View from my lodge, about 20 feet from my door. Jealous yet?

c9a1aa_d7d243b64f5b4765852fadfa7f4a75a8.jpg_srz_p_837_628_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^From trail right off Visitor Center

c9a1aa_844b2c162a2641e3947c9a5cbbe713b2.jpg_srz_p_1076_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^Ranger led hike, lots of interpretive talk...imagine the building that used to be here lol...this was my first and last ranger led hike.

c9a1aa_9fa856ed12d641ca92a9bd1f5a537db2.jpg_srz_p_1076_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

c9a1aa_35fe67cfe7464d94b4c711df7eb7eab8.jpg_srz_p_606_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^Beer, light color hides deeper flavor, bitter with a light orange note 6.5

c9a1aa_720a840d993d450eb6279410bf78a0f6.jpg_srz_p_1076_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^Did a 9.8mile trail into the park, called triple lakes trail. My suggestion would be to go to the three lakes and turn around, not much for 3 hrs except the 5mins you spend at the top.

c9a1aa_e29b0067610a4cadbe7b611f19ee379f.jpg_srz_p_1076_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

c9a1aa_e818ce8103c34866ae0ada8b49a2380c.jpg_srz_p_606_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

c9a1aa_2eaf4d0bfbed496586cf1e795bdb4738.jpg_srz_p_1076_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^working sled dog. There is some law that says they can't use motorized equipment in certain areas of the park to keep them wild. So in the winter the dogs pull everything around from equipment to scientists needing to get into the deeper parts of the park.

c9a1aa_2b78462dfa3c415bac11c32a17f8e3c9.jpg_srz_p_1076_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^in the summer pretty much everyone goes on these converted school buses. Green are hop on hop off shuttles and tan are tour buses. Even the people who sell the tickets say to take the shuttles as they are the same drivers so you get narration with most shuttles for free.

c9a1aa_7443c1584a70435ca74191ee54d15512.jpg_srz_p_1076_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

c9a1aa_843f277ccd514def8fd70e528f2c9cb5.jpg_srz_p_1076_807_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^the dogs can run 100miles in a day but they usually keep them to 50ish.

But because you started your posts saying you were a HAL newbie, I'm very curious to hear your thoughts re your HAL experience in comparison to your other cruise lines. Please comment on the ship itself (size, its venues, activity areas) entertainment, quality of food, staterooms etc and anything else you feel is valuable info for someone (like me) trying to decide on perhaps my 1st HAL cruise after cruising Princess and Celebrity. I'm looking at the Oosterdam for a cruise in New Zealand/Australia waters.

Short answer I loved it! I will make the long answer my next post. Need to collect my thoughts so it will be tomorrow after check in.

Night everyone, happy travel dreams :D

Are those pictures from the sled dog demo at Denali? I'm glad I'm planning to go to that because your photos make it look very fun.

Can I also ask what hikes (if any) you took inside the park and whether you would recommend them? We are taking the Eielsen shuttle and want to take a hike somewhere on the way back ... deciding between Polychrome, Toklat, Cathedral mountain as we have one full and one half day in Denali.

Thanks again for posting all the great pics! I am posting from McKinley Chalets waiting for transportation to the train station for our trip to Anchorage.

We did the TWT yesterday and it snowed! We didn't return in time to do the 4 pm dog demonstration so thanks for posting those pics! We did the Husky Homestead excursion Tuesday night and Jeff's dogs all wanted to be chosen for the demonstration too - they are very enthusiastic about their jobs!

I look forward to more of your wonderful photos!

Are those pictures from the sled dog demo at Denali? I'm glad I'm planning to go to that because your photos make it look very fun.

Can I also ask what hikes (if any) you took inside the park and whether you would recommend them? We are taking the Eielsen shuttle and want to take a hike somewhere on the way back ... deciding between Polychrome, Toklat, Cathedral mountain as we have one full and one half day in Denali.

Yes Denali has a free sled dog demo at 10/12/and 2pm.

As far as where to hike what are you looking for? Wildlife, Mt McKinley views, length, difficulty level?

In general I would get off at Eielsen and do the alpine trail(about 90mins), then take a different shuttle back and stop somewhere near polychrome or toklat. There is a 5mile stretch where you are allowed to hike the road but not get off to preserve wildlife. Ask your driver they will put you in the right place.

We did the TWT yesterday and it snowed!

I look forward to more of your wonderful photos!

I got hailed on yesterday waiting for my bus back to Anchorage...only lasted 10mins though :)

Glad everyone is enjoying it.

Tomorrow in Denver it's supposed to be 90F, what a change! lol

Ok so as promised a bit of cruise line comparison.

Food Pro: Holland America's MDR food was on par or better than any line I've been on. I went every night even when I got on board late and ran to the dining room, just skipped appetizer and ate my fill on deserts.

Food Con: Food in Lido was not near other lines in selection. I only ate there for quick breakfasts or picking up a desert during the day. Room service took 1h 14min to arrive but food was good. Kitchen tour was crap, and no midnight buffet or chocolate buffet or anything like that.

Entertainment Pro: On board musicians were all 4 very good and worth watching. Guitarist Mike, Adagio violin/piano duo, Halcats, and Piano guy Larry all top notch. On most lines there will be one that's ok.

Entertainment Con: On board shows were a disapointment they seemed low budget and made fun of themselves to make up for knowing it's not great.

Port days/Excursions Pro: Prices for excursions were less than other lines for the identical trips. Captain seemed to pay close attention to everyone being on board and even leave early if we were all there. This led to arriving at every port at least 30mins early, more time ashore=awesome.

Also this itinerary was chosen in part due to very long times in port compared to other lines. We were usually last to leave each night. If you do b2b they have a different stop in Haines south instead of skagway which is nice.

Cons: none that I can think of atm

Room Pro: Larger than expected, got ocean view for same price as inside, had a tub and fridge, slept great in their beds. 800+ DVDs available from front desk to watch, but pick a back up as mine was checked out(or more likely not returned and not replaced). Towel animals!

Room Con: No interactive tv to order room service, book excursions or see bill which you can do on many other lines now. Steward was ok, but not amazing as I rarely saw him.

Would I do Holland again? Absolutely with a few caveats. If your purpose is the ship and it's entertainment consider another line. If your purpose is the ports of call the ship will keep you fed and play nice music for you at night and has tons of drink specials everyday. Price was cheap but princess was cheaper, although I was not impressed with my 4 weeks on Princess so will skip it unless they go somewhere I can't otherwise.

If you hope to meet and hang with younger couples/aged people this is not the line for you. Singles meetup lunch was 12 people all 65+ and me :rolleyes:. Even the comedian made impressions of dead people and jokes for the older crowd. If you can roll with the punches and keep yourself entertained at times it's a great ship. I would go back in a second and regret not booking b2b.

I'm sure I will have more thoughts on it later. More photos/review to come, tomorrow I will try and upload all 7 "on locations" from this trip :)

Good luck to all those going to be on Oosterdam soon. If you got my room check the bible ;)

Edited by aerospace

Could not get a good focus on the daily activities page so I need to ask a couple of questions...

It looks like the ship sailed at 8 pm from your first port? Is that right? The lifeboat drill was at 5pm? That's what it looks like to me but I want to confirm. We get on the ship heading south from our land tour around 5 pm and hope that we will be able to book Pinnacle Grill or MDR for 6 pm and still have time to see the sail away.

Could not get a good focus on the daily activities page so I need to ask a couple of questions...

It looks like the ship sailed at 8 pm from your first port? Is that right? The lifeboat drill was at 5pm? That's what it looks like to me but I want to confirm. We get on the ship heading south from our land tour around 5 pm and hope that we will be able to book Pinnacle Grill or MDR for 6 pm and still have time to see the sail away.

Nope

IIRC the ship sailed at 5PM (from Vancouver) and the drill was at 4.30 PM

Edited by blindman60

I personally would like to hear you review about Denver. Did you have your brownie a la mode?

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this long review. I have been with you from day one and I feel like it was right there with you every step of the way. Thank you!

'Til we meet again…..

Edited by krazy4kruisin

Says lifeboat 4:15 and sailaway 5pm

I personally would like to hear you review about Denver. Did you have your brownie a la mode?

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this long review. I have been with you from day one and I feel like it was right there with you every step of the way. Thank you!

'Til we meet again…..

I tried the peanut butter cookie, 10mg didn't have any effect last night, I did the brownie today. It's supposed to be 2 doses at 25mg but I had the whole thing at once.

Disappointed, where is the upside? Dry mouth, tired, lack of focus, slight uptick in appetite and loss of taste intensity...ate a full bag of Cool Ranch Doritos but they tasted bland.

Hope it gets better :confused: