Cabin size comparison..

helenandfrank

CC members, your advice please. Our only previous river cruise experience is on Amabella (with the Australian company APT) in cabin 315 - which APT / AMA describe as P+. It was 215 square feet, and comfortable. We are now looking at Tauck and Uniworld but see sizes are much more .. cosy. Uniworld have standard rooms at 151 square feet and suites at 215 square feet. Tauck have Cat 5 /6 cabins at 183 and Cat 7 at 300 square feet. We are just 2 average Aussies who save long and hard for something special on our holidays and we don't want to spend more than we need to - and we would therefore appreciate your opinions on the functionality of 151 / 182 square foot cabins. How much space does a couple really need ?? Thank you for your advice.

In 2013 we were on Viking longship Magni. Had a veranda cabin catagory B, I believe. 205 square feet. Very comfortable. This fall we are on Viking Spirit......much smaller cabin(also less expensive). Not much time spent in cabin so we will see.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

My wife and I have been on several different Uniworld ships. We found the cabins to be well laid out with plenty of storage. We found the beds to be very comfortable and the head (nautical term for bathroom LOL) to be good size.

We are booked on another of the ships with 151 sq ft cabins in September and are looking forward to it.

Have fun on your cruise.

CC members, your advice please. Our only previous river cruise experience is on Amabella (with the Australian company APT) in cabin 315 - which APT / AMA describe as P+. It was 215 square feet, and comfortable. We are now looking at Tauck and Uniworld but see sizes are much more .. cosy. Uniworld have standard rooms at 151 square feet and suites at 215 square feet. Tauck have Cat 5 /6 cabins at 183 and Cat 7 at 300 square feet. We are just 2 average Aussies who save long and hard for something special on our holidays and we don't want to spend more than we need to - and we would therefore appreciate your opinions on the functionality of 151 / 182 square foot cabins. How much space does a couple really need ?? Thank you for your advice.

We were in a cabin that I think had 160 sq. ft. (Uniworld). We had the large doors that we could open (not a French balcony) which seemed to increase the perception of space, but found that the secret to this size was, always put things back where they are supposed to be, be organized and give the other person space occasionally. But time spent in the cabin was limited due to the beautiful scenery (Douro River).

Cole

We sailed AMAcello cabin 203 (170 sf with French balcony) and found the cabin plenty big for two average people.

My deck plans for AMAbella show your cabin 315 at 235 sf, but it doesn't say how much of that is the balcony. Maybe that accounts for your figure of 215.

We have found that sf is important, but your perception will also depend on the layout. The one time we felt really cramped (on NCL, not a river cruise), the sf weren't so small but the layout made the cabin seem smaller than it was. A really nice layout makes the cabin feel like a TARDIS [bigger on the inside ;)]

Cabin size was one of my concerns before we sailed on Tauck in 2011. I even noted the fact in my cruise review. As I said then, in the end, it didn't matter. Tauck's cabins are 150 sq ft and really well laid out. There is more than enough room in the cupboard and draws to put all your clothes and the suitcases disappear under the bed. We did not find cabin size or space entered into our thoughts during the entire cruise. That's why we're cruising with Tauck again this August.

As you said, cabin size is not as important as your being neat about putting things where they belong. :-)

We have been on numerous Uniworld ships and even though the cabins are a bit squishy,the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms well laid out with the shower stalls

being a good size. Don't bother with the french balconies, they eat up valuable floor space. The window 'ledge' in the non-balcony cabins are a great place to pile things on.

Enjoy your river cruise...don't sweat the small stuff (or the cabin size)