My experience with the Premium Drink Package

SJS

Prior to my May 11 cruise on Navigator of the Seas I read every thread about the drink packages so I thought I would share my experience. First, I had already made up my mind that I was going to purchase the Premium Drink Package and paid for it ahead of time and was excited to try new drinks and not have a big bill at the end of the cruise.

Let me say that I was very disappointed in the package. Almost every drink I got was so weak that I really question if any booze was added to the drinks! I even had a martini that was like drinking juice! Maybe it's because I am a 64 year old woman that they felt I wouldn't notice? I also turned invisible at the Pool Bar and gave up trying to get service there. What I should have done was complain and/or ask for a supervisor when it happened time after time but I admit I hate complaining so did not do that. I ended up switching to beer, wine and gin and tonic (those they did add gin to!).

I also felt that I ordered more drinks than I wanted just to get my "money's worth". It was great to have a $5 sea pass bill at the end of the cruise but no more drink packages for me.

Our experience on Oasis was completely opposite to yours. Strong drinks, bartenders were very nice and never had a bad drink, well maybe that cucumber drink I tried:) I would not hesitate to get the drink package on our next cruise.

I also felt that I ordered more drinks than I wanted just to get my "money's worth". It was great to have a $5 sea pass bill at the end of the cruise but no more drink packages for me.

I have never seen the logic in this scenario.

You over-pay around $400 before the cruise for the package just to avoid the "shock & horror of getting a final bill.

If you didn't buy it and just ordered drinks as you wanted your bill would most likely bill much less. Most likely about half.

Wouldn't you rather pay $200 at the end than $400 before?

I had a similar experience to skyking. Oasis may 3-10. premium package was DEFINITELY worth it. Drinks were STRONG, being able to get bottled water, wine with all meals and a drink when ever I wanted without having to budget or worry about a big tab at the end of the cruise was great. More than got my moneys worth out of it and would do it again in a heart beat.

edit: wish they would show you how much you would have spent w/o package so you could see if its saved you money or not. But I know for sure I probably got my money back just in bottled water and wine :-)

Edited by mikezulu1985

Prior to my May 11 cruise on Navigator of the Seas I read every thread about the drink packages so I thought I would share my experience. First, I had already made up my mind that I was going to purchase the Premium Drink Package and paid for it ahead of time and was excited to try new drinks and not have a big bill at the end of the cruise.

Let me say that I was very disappointed in the package. Almost every drink I got was so weak that I really question if any booze was added to the drinks! I even had a martini that was like drinking juice! Maybe it's because I am a 64 year old woman that they felt I wouldn't notice? I also turned invisible at the Pool Bar and gave up trying to get service there. What I should have done was complain and/or ask for a supervisor when it happened time after time but I admit I hate complaining so did not do that. I ended up switching to beer, wine and gin and tonic (those they did add gin to!).

My experience was somewhat similar on my 2013 cruise. I purchased the drink package for my husband and I. We are not excessive drinkers, but tend to drink more when on vacation, and I thought the idea of knowing exactly what we would spend sounded appealing. My very 1st drink order was disappointing "oh no drink package don't get drink of the day", is what I heard. Well - that wasn't exactly true, I was able to get the drink of the day at the bar, but couldn't get the souvenir glass. I too found myself drinking more to "get my money's worth". Something else to consider - it's easy to make the drink package pay off on sea days, but very challenging on long port days.

We were on a cruise this April, and I decided to try the concept of "self funding" our drink package, by setting aside $100 for the two of us per day just for booze. I even contemplated adding $700 to my sea pass account on day 1 so it was truly pre-paid for this 7 day cruise. This concept turned out surprisingly well. We spent much less, we were able to get the one souvenir glass that I really wanted, and only ended up spending $413 on booze, which was surprising considering we had 5 sea days. I didn't order morning mimosas every day this time, but we both drank as much as we wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by mtgourmet

Would love to get an idea of the average price for the premium drink package on a per day rate? Was the $400 price paid upfront for a 7 day cruise? I am going on a 12 night cruise and think the package might be good for me, but if its $800 maybe not.

Advice?

Thanks!

OP , I would have just asked them to put more booze in my drink, you've already paid for it so no sweat. Can't say I had that problem myself, some drinks were too strong but I like the package and have it again on my cruise next month on the Allure :-)

Edited by Deeliteful

You over-pay around $400 before the cruise for the package just to avoid the "shock & horror of getting a final bill.

If you didn't buy it and just ordered drinks as you wanted your bill would most likely bill much less. Most likely about half.

Is that new math? The cost of the premium package for 7 days comes to $385. Overpaying by $400 would suggest an expected bill of $-15 and no beverages all week. I doubt very much anyone anticipating going thirsty would buy an unlimited package.

As for too weak or too strong drinks, first order of business should be to let the bartender know, they might be making them how they think you want them. If the servers ignore you, then you're darn right you should complain. I hear so often how these cruise vacations are all about service, well if that's true then they need to know if it's not working.

My husband and I had the premium package on Oasis last summer and loved it! Service was great, drinks were strong to normal and never had an issue getting a souvenir glass (paid $3 or $4 maybe?). Definitely getting the package again for our Allure cruise in August. I really enjoyed mimosas at breakfast and wine with dinner, frozen drinks by the pool and soda in between without a concern for the bill at the end.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm glad many of you had a good experience with the drink package. And I would think that anyone who purchased a drink package did not do so hoping to get weak drinks! I agree that I should have spoke up (not my strong point!) and asked for more rum or vodka.

I just thought I would share my experience for those who are still considering whether or not to purchase a drink package.

Otherwise I had a wonderful cruise and the weak drinks did not spoil my cruise!

I'm glad many of you had a good experience with the drink package. And I would think that anyone who purchased a drink package did not do so hoping to get weak drinks! I agree that I should have spoke up (not my strong point!) and asked for more rum or vodka.

I just thought I would share my experience for those who are still considering whether or not to purchase a drink package.

Otherwise I had a wonderful cruise and the weak drinks did not spoil my cruise!

Absolutely good to hear first hand reports. Since you know now at your level of consumption it didn't really work out, an idea I had heard suggested was to buy obc. That way you don't get shocked at the end with a big bill and you can get money back if you don't use it all.

Our experience on Oasis was completely opposite to yours. Strong drinks, bartenders were very nice and never had a bad drink, well maybe that cucumber drink I tried:) I would not hesitate to get the drink package on our next cruise.

Except for the cucumber drink our experience was the same as Skyking's.

###

I have had the drink package on both previous cruises and have found it is a money saver, at least for me it was. I have been told by others that if you have the drink package some bartenders tend to put you in "the back" because they figure you have prepaid and will not give them an extra tip. I always tip a little extra when I find a bar or bartender I like and that seems to always get their attention and in my opinion better service. I have absolutely no problem tipping a little upfront to get their attention. I know some will disagree with me but it always works and I have no complaints.

tm3750, the really sad part is that I did tip my favorite ones a little extra! Other than the pool bar I had good service just not good drinks. :(

It is amazing the different experiences folks have, particularly on something that should be consistent fleet wide.

We have had the Premium Package on both of our cruises so far, and plan on getting it on our next too. I've always had good pours and great service. I do tip well, and tend to stick with one bar/bartender when I find one I like. After a day or so, they usually know me by name. On the Indy, our bars of choice were the Sky Bar outside and Boleros inside.

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

With the Ultimate package I got whatever I wanted to drink as far as alcohol and after dinner drinks went.Wine was maxed out at 12.00 per glass, which really gives you a lot of good wines. It also includes bottled water, fresh squeezed orange juice and specialty coffee and teas, either Seattles Best or Starbucks. With that said the average drink is about 8.00 . 8 drinks in the course of the day. One specialty coffee in the morning and one in the evening after dinner. 5 or 6 bottles of water thru the day. Mimosa with breakfast. A beer or wine with lunch. A couple of drinks during the day and Wine with dinner. another drink or two thru the rest of the evening. Oh, don't forget the fresh squeezed orange juice with breakfast also. For me it is a no brainer and I have to say I have never had a bad pour on any ship and if it would happen to me I would just get another and this time ask him to make it a double, ( a couple of bucks upfront when I order never hurts)

thank you for confirming what i thought would happen, i dont want to have to drink too much trying to get my moneys worth. it will pay off for a heavy drinker but not the casual one. also some days i just dont feel like drinking. what if you have an upset stomach or just hung over from the night before. ill pass and try the non alcoholic package.