LAX to Cruise port

wjsks

Can any of you knowledgeable people out there advise me of the best/cheapest way to get from LAX to the cruise port Golden Princess uses and the name of that cruise port? Thanks.

Bill

The best is not always the cheapest. Personally I do not like taking shuttles, so we take a town car from the airport to San Pedro.

Personal preference. I don't spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to skimp on transportation to the ship.:)

We just did this transfer from LAX to San Pedro a week ago Friday. We looked at PrimeTime shuttle but the reviews on Tripadvisor were horrible. We stopped and asked the Princess Rep if we could ride one of their buses (at the suggestion of Princess when I called to see if it was too late to book a transfer - it was) and just charge our on-board account and he said no problem. The problem then came when he said the bus should be here in about 20 minutes and they were taking us to a local hotel to wait until boarding time. Granted, we were early but this didn't sound like fun so we just took a taxi. Yes, it was about $60 but a straight smooth shot. We met a lot of interesting people waiting with us in the port terminal and it turned out to be a smooth start to a great cruise up to Vancouver.

To a nearby hotel???????? NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING.......sounds like a robbery scam....NOT ANY PRINCESS transfer I ever heard of. .....the transfer people DON'T work for Princess. ..they are a hired company........only 34 cruises .......guess I haven't heard all the wild cruise stories. ......Princess TELLS YOU THE AGENT will be there at 10:45am....how early were you?????? If you say 7am.....im thankful you DIDNT GET INTO ANY VEHICLE THEY WANTED TO TAKE YOU TO THIS HOTEL TO WAIT.

When we went from San Pedro to LAX a couple years ago, we rented a private van and I think it was about $45 - $50 for both of us with tip. They had a large party at the last minute and ended up sending us a fancy SUV, which was totally fine. I think it was rapidshuttle. I was totally fine reserving a van instead of a towncar. What mattered to me was having private transportation and not be waiting for other passengers to get their stuff and get loaded.

I think a lot of it depends on your travel personality. I know after going through the headaches of flying and being crammed into a plane, I really don't want to be crammed into a bus or shared shuttle. I want my space!!! Kind of the same thing at the end of a trip -- I'm over being herded like cattle at that point. When all 4 of us went to Cancun last year, it was a no-brainer to rent a private van to take us to our hotel rather than cram on a shared bus/shuttle. The cost difference was negligible but the convenience was priceless! And we were definitely ready to decompress a little bit.

For some people, the social interactions in those shared transport arrangements is fun and exciting and adds to the experience. For others it's draining and adds to the stress. I would definitely sacrifice a DOD to have private transport over the bus!!!

The best is not always the cheapest. Personally I do not like taking shuttles, so we take a town car from the airport to San Pedro.

Personal preference. I don't spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to skimp on transportation to the ship.:)

Amen.... WELL SAID :cool:

.I once met a "PERSON" who had a SUITE and didn't want to pay the auto tips for the 2 FREE EXTRA DAYS we had in port during the SANDY STORM. Never mind the fact that Princess refunded everyone 50% of what you paid for the cruise. AMAZING

When we went from San Pedro to LAX a couple years ago, we rented a private van and I think it was about $45 - $50 for both of us with tip. They had a large party at the last minute and ended up sending us a fancy SUV, which was totally fine. I think it was rapidshuttle. I was totally fine reserving a van instead of a towncar. What mattered to me was having private transportation and not be waiting for other passengers to get their stuff and get loaded.

I think a lot of it depends on your travel personality. I know after going through the headaches of flying and being crammed into a plane, I really don't want to be crammed into a bus or shared shuttle. I want my space!!! Kind of the same thing at the end of a trip -- I'm over being herded like cattle at that point. When all 4 of us went to Cancun last year, it was a no-brainer to rent a private van to take us to our hotel rather than cram on a shared bus/shuttle. The cost difference was negligible but the convenience was priceless! And we were definitely ready to decompress a little bit.

For some people, the social interactions in those shared transport arrangements is fun and exciting and adds to the experience. For others it's draining and adds to the stress. I would definitely sacrifice a DOD to have private transport over the bus!!!

No disrespect intended. ..... But how do you "Decompress" on a Carnival Ship....Especially a kid crazy magnet like the Imagination:confused:

Take a new Princess Cruise and you will "COME BACK BRAND NEW" :)

No disrespect intended. ..... But how do you "Decompress" on a Carnival Ship....Especially a kid crazy magnet like the Imagination:confused:

Take a new Princess Cruise and you will "COME BACK BRAND NEW" :)

LOL. Even more reason to like a nice, simple, quiet ride to and from the port. :D That 30 minute ride is a chance to shake off the crazies from the prior portion of the travel day and get ready for the next phase. :) I'm not wild about small talk in general and definitely not on a travel day. I have no desire to be packed in with the person that insists on trying to talk to me, the person that sucked down 3 cigarettes in the 10 mins before getting on the van, and the person that's talking all their personal business on their cell phone loud enough that I can't talk to my own companions. Those things stress me out and I know it and choose to avoid it when possible. On ship, I can always get away from anyone truly obnoxious (even those sharing my cabin ;) )

I've never been on Carnival before so I'm not sure how hectic they can be. We wanted to try a cruise without needing to fly and they were the only game in town.

LOL. Even more reason to like a nice, simple, quiet ride to and from the port. :D That 30 minute ride is a chance to shake off the crazies from the prior portion of the travel day and get ready for the next phase. :) I'm not wild about small talk in general and definitely not on a travel day. I have no desire to be packed in with the person that insists on trying to talk to me, the person that sucked down 3 cigarettes in the 10 mins before getting on the van, and the person that's talking all their personal business on their cell phone loud enough that I can't talk to my own companions. Those things stress me out and I know it and choose to avoid it when possible. On ship, I can always get away from anyone truly obnoxious (even those sharing my cabin ;) )

I've never been on Carnival before so I'm not sure how hectic they can be. We wanted to try a cruise without needing to fly and they were the only game in town.

Well get ready for kids having fun:) the water park is a good place if it gets really hot. The BEST thing IMHO about Carnival is their DESSERT TABLE :) great variety and the SUGAR FREE NEPOLIANS are to die for........BON VOYAGE

To a nearby hotel???????? NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING.......sounds like a robbery scam....NOT ANY PRINCESS transfer I ever heard of. .....the transfer people DON'T work for Princess. ..they are a hired company........only 34 cruises .......guess I haven't heard all the wild cruise stories. ......Princess TELLS YOU THE AGENT will be there at 10:45am....how early were you?????? If you say 7am.....im thankful you DIDNT GET INTO ANY VEHICLE THEY WANTED TO TAKE YOU TO THIS HOTEL TO WAIT.

Actually, it doesn't surprise me at all...especially with LAX/San Pedro.

First off, Princess generally uses the LAX Marriott as the package hotel for its guests on LA cruises (not a hotel choice I would make)...So, the hotel is very near LAX...

Depending on what time you flight was coming in, there's a good chance they just don't have busloads of people all coming in around the same time with Princess transfers...They DO have a lot of people over at the Marriott who have purchased Princess hotel packages that include the transfer...

Now, the cruise lines also, as a policy, don't want people arriving at the ship until early to mid-afternoon...The big rush is around 11:00-12:00 with people wanting to get on early and get lunch...So, if they can control a portion of their guests so as to assure they don't arrive until, say, 2:00 pm, they will do that...

So, if your flight arrives in the morning, rather than just filling up buses and taking them right to the ship, it's more in their interest to bring you to the Marriott and let you cool your heels there waiting for whatever the appointed time for the overnight hotel guests to board the transfer...and take you with them...

Personally, I would rather arrange my own transportation for arrival at my convenience, not the cruise line's...

...and FILLED with happy Princess cruisers. The driver was informative and funny. Saving $10 bucks and piling into some packed van is not the way I like to start a cruise......

SERIOUSLY? "some packed van"??? Most of these shuttles comfortably seat 6 or 8 people...But you'd rather crowd onto a big bus seating 40??? Those are NOT "happy Princess cruisers"...they are somewhat miserable having either just managed their way through LAX after a long flight...or they just wasted a night in an LAX Century Blvd. hotel under the flight paths with nothing to eat but hotel food...Only thing they are happy about is finally making it through that and finally almost getting to the cruise...Those 4-6 others in that "packed van" with you are also getting to the cruise...but on a better schedule...They are likely also "happy Princess cruisers", just not jammed onto a bus, mostly after wasting all morning hanging out at the LAX Marriott lobby...

Edited by Bruin Steve

We did get in around 9:30 and a few days before we received notice of a delayed boarding because of a 90 day coast guard drill. I guess they didn't want all those people meeting at the terminal that early.

Actually, it doesn't surprise me at all...especially with LAX/San Pedro.

First off, Princess generally uses the LAX Marriott as the package hotel for its guests on LA cruises (not a hotel choice I would make)...So, the hotel is very near LAX...

Depending on what time you flight was coming in, there's a good chance they just don't have busloads of people all coming in around the same time with Princess transfers...They DO have a lot of people over at the Marriott who have purchased Princess hotel packages that include the transfer...

Now, the cruise lines also, as a policy, don't want people arriving at the ship until early to mid-afternoon...The big rush is around 11:00-12:00 with people wanting to get on early and get lunch...So, if they can control a portion of their guests so as to assure they don't arrive until, say, 2:00 pm, they will do that...

So, if your flight arrives in the morning, rather than just filling up buses and taking them right to the ship, it's more in their interest to bring you to the Marriott and let you cool your heels there waiting for whatever the appointed time for the overnight hotel guests to board the transfer...and take you with them...

Personally, I would rather arrange my own transportation for arrival at my convenience, not the cruise line's...

SERIOUSLY? "some packed van"??? Most of these shuttles comfortably seat 6 or 8 people...But you'd rather crowd onto a big bus seating 40??? Those are NOT "happy Princess cruisers"...they are somewhat miserable having either just managed their way through LAX after a long flight...or they just wasted a night in an LAX Century Blvd. hotel under the flight paths with nothing to eat but hotel food...Only thing they are happy about is finally making it through that and finally almost getting to the cruise...Those 4-6 others in that "packed van" with you are also getting to the cruise...but on a better schedule...They are likely also "happy Princess cruisers", just not jammed onto a bus, mostly after wasting all morning hanging out at the LAX Marriott lobby...

I seem to remember someone posted in this board that they had decided to use the cruise line transfer and had to make their way back to the airport (I can't remember where they stayed the night before), go on the bus to the hotel and wait for their ride to the port.

I just can't imagine doing this. If you're going to be smart and get a day ahead of your cruise, and then be even smarter and stay in a decent area, why not just arrange for a private shuttle or taxi to the port directly. I would rather wait in the large terminal (which has been our case on every cruise from LA, and sometimes even have been checked in immediately and then can sit in the waiting area) than be transported here and there that morning.

I don't think it's a scam but more that people book it for the sake of convenience (and I'm not going to go there that some bad guys are simply kidnapping you:rolleyes:). Even if you haven't prebooked a shuttle, the front desk of any reputable hotel will help you with getting a taxi.