Traditional or anytime dining questions

sdnich

I was wondering what pros and cons there are besides the obvious anytime is more flexible but is there auto tips included and are they the same restaurant?We are a group of four who prefer to dine by ourselves and would like to try a specialty restaurant.We are only on the boat four nights.We just came off the Celebrity Reflection where we had access to a smaller restaurant called Blu and we loved it! This will be our first cruise with Princess so would love any input thanks

I can give you some answers, but not sure if I can do all.

It's my belief that the autotips are included whether you do traditional or anytime.

You can try a specialty restaurant any time. It's common courtesy that if you are going to do so and you have traditional dining to let your wait staff no, so that the rest of the table isn't held up. If you made reservations on anytime dining and decide to use a specialty restaurant I think it would be good form to let the dining staff know that you don't need your table that night (not sure how many do, but I know a lot of the anytime diners make reservations for the same table each night at the same time).

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Counting down the days.

I was wondering what pros and cons there are besides the obvious anytime is more flexible but is there auto tips included and are they the same restaurant?We are a group of four who prefer to dine by ourselves and would like to try a specialty restaurant.We are only on the boat four nights.We just came off the Celebrity Reflection where we had access to a smaller restaurant called Blu and we loved it! This will be our first cruise with Princess so would love any input thanks
Your "auto-tip" includes any dining room (Traditional or Anytime), restaurant, buffet, or any other dining venue.

The Traditional and Anytime dining rooms have the same menu and dress code. I don't agree with this but Traditional diners are allowed to go to an Anytime dining room. Unfortunately, this can result in long lines so I don't recommend it as then your seats will remain empty in the Traditional dining room while you're using seats in Anytime.

Dress code in the specialty restaurants is Smart Casual even on formal nights although often people dress up for dinner in the restaurants.

Thanks for some info. We will probably go anytime dining.And if we go to a specialty restaurant do we then move our auto tips over by letting them know before or do they know because we obviously booked in a specialty?

Thanks for some info. We will probably go anytime dining.And if we go to a specialty restaurant do we then move our auto tips over by letting them know before or do they know because we obviously booked in a specialty?

I always do Anytime Dining on all my cruises. When I have dinner in one of the speciality restaurants, I leave a $20 cash tip. I leave cash so the waiter gets to keep the entire amount. If I were to write in a tip on the "bill", the tip would go into the tip pool which is shared by oodles and oodles of staff; my waiter in the restaurant would end up seeing very little of the written in tip.

You don't have to do anything about the tips--those are added to your account daily no matter where you eat.
The auto-tip covers all basic hotel services, including your cabin steward, dining staff, buffet staff, specialty restaurant, IC staff, etc. It's charged overnight to your onboard account no matter where you choose to eat or whether you want your cabin made up or not.

You'll find that the auto tips on Princess are different from RCL/Celebrity. Princess shares the tips fleet wide so your money doesn't go directly to your waiter, it goes to all waiters. This means you are free to visit any of the restaurants and you don't need to worry about tipping.

You don't need to prepay tips for any time dining. They will be posted daily to your account.

Anytime dining - just go with your group to the hostess and ask for a table for 4. Sometimes there is a wait and if there is you will be handed a pager. If you agree to sharing a table the wait is usually much shorter.

Try to make your reservations for specialty dining on the first day. They may fill up later in the cruise.

I always do Anytime Dining on all my cruises. When I have dinner in one of the speciality restaurants, I leave a $20 cash tip. I leave cash so the waiter gets to keep the entire amount. If I were to write in a tip on the "bill", the tip would go into the tip pool which is shared by oodles and oodles of staff; my waiter in the restaurant would end up seeing very little of the written in tip.

The waiter is required to turn in cash tips to the supervisors, and identify your cabin. If the passenger in that cabin keeps the auto tip in place then the waiter gets the tip back. It is normal practice for the waiter to share the tip with the assistants, they normally don't keep the entire amount.

You'll find that the auto tips on Princess are different from RCL/Celebrity. Princess shares the tips fleet wide so your money doesn't go directly to your waiter, it goes to all waiters. This means you are free to visit any of the restaurants and you don't need to worry about tipping.

You don't need to prepay tips for any time dining. They will be posted daily to your account.

Anytime dining - just go with your group to the hostess and ask for a table for 4. Sometimes there is a wait and if there is you will be handed a pager. If you agree to sharing a table the wait is usually much shorter.

Try to make your reservations for specialty dining on the first day. They may fill up later in the cruise.

First I've seen this. This would be a nightmare to manage. What is your source?

Edited by Stevesan

Thanks for info we usually bring cash and tip bartenders and waiters when they deserve extra.I meant to ask what is a favorite specialty restaurant on the Golden Princess?And also does anyone know where to get the wine list in the wine bar?