Celebrate every milestone and hold your loved ones close

the2ofus

I am sure it is a comfort for you to know how many of those who are your fellow cc travelers are holding you in their thoughts and prayers. I am sure if you decide to go on the cruise this Fall that you will go with the loving support of those traveling with you. I add my condolences and prayers for you at this time.

Dear the2ofus,

Thank you for the gentle reminder to appreciate the loved ones around us. We never know what the future may bring. May your many good memories comfort you at this time. Go on the cruise this fall with your family, he will be there with you and would want you to enjoy this time with them. At times the journey may seem difficult, but it will be easier with loved ones at your side.

My prayers are with you at this time.

I'll be giving DH an extra hug & kiss tonight. There are blessings all around us.

May the companionship of friends, family, and your CC buddies get you through the tough times.

Brenda

the2ofus, I too will keep you in my prayers. You are so lucky that you did start to travel and make special memories the past 14 years. I know of many people who always say they need to wait till they retire or have more money to do their special travels like cruising and unfortuantely something happens. It sounds like you and DH did it right with always having a cruise upcoming. I am sure he would want you to go on that October cruise with you family.

Thank you all so much for your messages. On the HAL CC board, we have been known to have our differences, but we are such a caring community.

Sierrachik, I used that poem in the memorial card at the funeral home. It has always had special meaning for me.

KK, I'm sorry we did not meet on the Maasdam. I did meet Jim V though. Couldn't miss those Pepe LePew slippers.

S7S, we may yet meet on the Volendam. Thanks to all for the encouragement re: keeping that cruise reservation. It will be poignant though, as we loved to ballroom dance, especially waltz, and this is a big band cruise.

So sorry to hear about your husband. In 2003 my sister, husband and I went on a cruise to Alaska we had planned with my brother-in-law when he had terminal lung cancer, even though he died only a month before. We felt he would have wanted us to do this because it had been his lifelong dream. It was exhausting but healing at the same time.

My heart goes out to you.

Dear CC Friends,

When DH and I began to cruise together, we discovered we loved HAL and loved cruising. We used every celebration/occasion we could think of to book another cruise, even on a limited budget. Fourteen years ago we discovered he had cancer. We decided to make the most of the time we had left together. Through health problems and a near-fatal accident, we always managed to have a cruise somewhere in the future to help us get through the rough times.

On July 24th, my beloved DH died. We had a cruise booked for October and he told the doctor earlier that week that he did not intend to miss it!! Sadly, this time, he did not make it. I'm not sure yet if I and our other family members will still take the cruise. If we do, he'll be with us in spirit, I'm sure.

My "nom de CC board" remains the same, but we are no longer two.

I couldn't read your whole post, because it made me sad (my Dad died wen I was young). I'm only coming up on 25 years of marriage (I turn 50 this month). But, I say, If you feel like you can, go for the cruise, take someone you love with you, and FLY! Live your life for the 2 of you. My daughter is a dancer on the Westerdam (Tara). That's what I told her years ago (FLY), and you wouldn't believe what she's seen in her young life (just turned 22). A lot of places I'll never see, :) if not for her pictures and videos.

You were so fortunate to have had so many years together, even after he became sick. I am sure you appreciated each day. And now your "screen name" will remind you of all your cruises you shared, together. susana.

I can't even express what is in my heart after reading your post.

Thank you so much for sharing. It will take a lot of courage to board the Volendam without your DH, but consider going. I hope i would have your perspective if that time ever comes for me that my DH goes on ahead of me.

Fondly,

GN

For the2ofus...

Rejoice in the fact that you and your husband were able to share many, many years of cruising together and building memories that survive and will uplift you in years to come.

My husband and I began cruising shortly after my mother died. She and my father had always wanted to go on a cruise, but were waiting until he retired. They put it off for one reason or another and soon after Dad retired, he died of a heart attack. My poor parents never took that voyage they had planned for their "golden years". After her death, I saw the "wake-up call" and my DH & I decided we weren't going to make the same "mistake". Having never taken a "proper" vacation (other than visiting the in-laws), and using our upcoming 25th anniversary as the "excuse", we took our first "test the waters" cruise and loved it. We vowed to ourselves that we would move heaven and earth to "afford" one cruise vacation a year. Since then, we've cruised for our 25th anniversary, my mother-in-law's 80th birthday family reunion cruise, DH's 50th birthday, etc...just as you've said...we try to celebrate life's special moments with a cruise. Our next cruise will be for my 50th birthday.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Take comfort in the warm embraces and kind words that everyone is sharing with you. Thank you for encouraging all of us to find those special moments in life and to celebrate them. I pray that you'll be "the2ofus" on your next voyage and you'll sense your husband's spirit traveling with you along with the rest of your family and/or friends.

May God bless you and continue to comfort you,

Debjo

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you for sharing it. It's a good reminder to me to keep planning those good times and stop worrying about the money, time off work and all the other nonsense. Enjoying our loved ones while we can is so important-- you've done a good job of it and have been an inspiration to me.

Take care.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family members. Please do take that upcoming cruise -- as others have already said, you will be with your family physically and with your DH in loving spirit. Do not sit home and grieve - go do the thing you know he planned for both of you to enjoy.

Sorry to hear of your loss..but I think you should go with your family and know your DH would want you to go...

I lost my father over 10 years ago..(he never got a chance to cruise) but, every time I go on a cruise...I have very real dreams of him..and he's right there with me...enjoying himself..(I truely believe he looks forward to me going!) I know some will think thats weird..but too bad for you for thinking that...What ever it takes for me to see my dad, (dream or not) I'll take it...

I'll keep you in my prayers...and hope for only good things to happen to you in the near future...

I got all choked up reading your message and when I finished, the first thought that came to my mind was: "Thank God they did get to do some traveling together." We all know people who have made plans to go places and do things and...for one reason or another...it never happened. That would make a sad occasion even sadder.

I was a caregiver for many years...with a daily reminder of the limitations life can place on us. Now I am trying to make the best use out of the time and opportunities that are within my reach. Your message is so right and is a wake-up call for people who keep saying they will do something next year or in a few years or sometime in the future.

I am so sorry for your loss and hope that the friends and family who love you will comfort you.

My heart goes out to you. I don't know what to say except that I am very sorry for your loss.
My husband was diagnosed with a heart condition 18 months ago on the very day he retired. We decided to plan a cruise a year as soon as he was stable; God willing we will have many, many more cruises.
Please take care
Kathy

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My DH and I married in our late thirties. The minister who performed our marriage ceremony counseled us to travel and make memories while we were still young. We are now in our late forties and hope to make many more memories in the future.

You are so fortunate you did take cruises and do have many, many happy times to hold on to. Take that upcoming cruise and enjoy it for both of you. He'll smile with you every minute of the day.[B]B[/B]

[B]For the2ofus...[/B]
I forgot to mention this in my previous message...I take a picture of my Mom & Dad along with me on every cruise my husband & I have gone on. I set them out on the nightstand or dressing table in our cabin. In a strange way, I feel that they ARE getting to go on that cruise that they always planned on...at least in spirit and in our memories. So, take along a favorite picture of your dear husband when you go on the cruise you two planned...that way, you'll have his smiling face in your cabin too!

Debjo

Dear The2ofus,

My heart goes out to you at this time of loss. My story is somewhat similar in that my husband and I took many wonderful HAL cruises together. We had a fabulous time and met many nice people during our travels.

After a long illness my husband died February 3rd, 2004. Since I took care of him pretty much by myself during his long illness I was both physically and mentally exhausted when he died. As soon as I felt strong enough the first thing I did was book another HAL cruise. It was my first time solo and I picked an itinerary that had always interested me but in which my husband had no interest whatsoever (Canada/New England). I can't say that I didn't spend some time weeping copious tears in the privacy of my cabin, because I did, but I did have a wonderful cruise. When my cabin steward found out that I was recently widowed he became my "mother hen" - I swear that I had the best cabin steward on the entire ship! I met lots of really neat people on the cruise (including Krazy Kruisers) and when I took the three-day post cruise trip to Ottawa and Montreal I was "adopted" by the nicest, kindest couple, whom I hadn't actually met on the ship but apparently we were seated at almost adjacent tables during dinner. They refused to let me eat dinner alone in my room at night and insisted that I join them. I'm so glad that they did because I had a great time with them and will never forget their kindness.

The first step is going to be the hardest, believe me, but it honestly does get a little easier every day. You are going to hurt for an awful long time (I'm still hurting) but, as I'm sure you've already found out, you are surrounded by people who only want to help - anywhere from Social Security workers to new friends you will meet on your cruise.

Do take the cruise if you feel strong enough to do so, and do as debjo suggested - take along a favorite photograph of your husband and put it on your nightstand so it's the first thing you see in the morning and the last thing you see at night. He will be with you you know, even if it's only in spirit. I have a photo of my husband taken at the Lido Bar on the Statendam while we were waiting to disembark from a Hawaiian cruise. He's young (ish), healthy, smiling and happy and that's the way I choose to remember him. His photograph goes on every cruise with me, and I know that he is happy that I'm having fun because I know that he loved me just as much as I loved him.

You are in my thoughts tonight, believe me, and I'm so sorry for your loss because I know how much you are hurting. God bless, and know that your husband only wants that you should go on and have a good life, and that he will be with you every step of the way, smiling and saying "you go girl!".

Valerie

Dear The2ofus,

I was also on that Maasdam 2003 cruise and you are in my thoughts. My parents had planned to travel, mainly by car, after my father retired. But my mother's health failed and she could not handle car trips. That ws when they discovered crusing and HAL. After she passed, my father introduced cruising to my sister and I.

I was bit by the bug. Even thought it takes every spare penny and a lot of doing without, I am able to continue the crusing on my own.

Please continue to travel and to cruise. I know right now, you cannot fathom traveling without your dear husband, but one day, you will continue the journeys. Again you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Very sorry for your loss. Cruising and travel together is such a bond. What great memories you must have. I think taking the cruise will be difficult but must agree with several other responses that it could be very good for you and the family. God Bless! Mike and Diane (Fang).

[color=black][font=Times New Roman]Dear The2ofus..[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Times New Roman]Please accept our heartfelt condolences on the loss of your Dear Husband. We hope you have some comfort in remembering the wonderful times you had together & that these memories will help to heal your broken heart. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. Our prayers are with you. [/font][/color]

[color=black][/color]
[color=black][font=Times New Roman]Sincerely, John & Betty[/font][/color]

Archived