Dream Review 17th - 24th May

Hi, 1st post on here after reading all the other useful information i thought i should contribute. I am not sure if this is the correct procedure, but i have seen others reviews on here i wanted to leave mine. I have also posted this in the cruise critic reviews but that leaves no place for comments etc.

We had an amazing week on the Dream and thought my comments could be useful for others.

We have never had a holiday onboard a cruise ship so I cant compare to any other ships and I am not going to try, but I will give an honest review for a ‘1st time cruiser’.

The reason for choosing the Thomson Dream was for the Itinerary, flight from a local airport and the reviews on here. We chose to do the Mediterranean medley from the 17th to the 24th of May.

Transfer from Palma airport to the ship was slick and hassle free, check in was swift and we were soon given our cabin, travelling with our 2 sons (age 4 and 7) we booked an outside plus cabin. We were given a cabin on deck 5, 5136. Clean, spacious and an excellent cabin steward named ‘Jaya’. He must have worked so hard as our cabin was always spotless and he was great with the kids.

First impressions of the ship was good. Its spacious with some nice public areas. We particularly liked the Argo lounge and oceans bar. Drink prices were good, but to be honest I didn’t drink much as I wanted to be up early to see the next port. 1st holiday I have ever had where I got up earlier than I do for work!

Now where this holiday did really impress me was for the staff, they are all so friendly and the work they do they are always smiling, all of them seemed to love the kids, remembering their names as well as mine and my partners.

We ate in the Orion restaurant, almost all the time, great food and amazing service. Maybe I went at the wrong times but the buffets always had queues and seating space seemed limited. Nothing wrong with the food though.

Didn’t do any excursions as we done the sights ourselves but getting on and off the ship was easy and hassle free. My eldest son even got to drive the tender boat (he steered anyway) briefly coming back from Rapello, he loved this and I know he will never forget it. Didn’t have any trouble with sun beds when onboard either.

We also done the bridge tour, Captain John came out to sign the kids club autograph books of my sons and we took his picture with them, he was great.

As to kids club, there wasn’t many kids onboard but Caroline and Sarah was brilliant and my 2 loved kids club, we had to persuade them to come with us on our day trips!

We all enjoyed the formal night, it was fun getting dressed up. Didn’t do any shows and the entertainment was not really our thing but it all looked well organised.

We had an amazing week on the Dream, ok she may not be as big and new as other ships, but for the money I paid I could of stayed all inclusive in some hotel and went to the beach everyday but instead I spent a week on a fantastic ship, with friendly people, amazing staff and spent time in some great places. I now know I can’t do another ‘normal’ holiday. We are already looking at where we are going next year and on which ship.

Edited by Bodster

Thank you so much for your very interesting review.

I am so glad you enjoyed your holiday and the children were well catered for.

My daughter loved the kids club on the ships but wouldn't go on land based holidays so they obviously still have the same very high standards.

It is so easy to get hooked on cruising :D

Welcome to the forum - and thanks for your feedback. :) It doesn't matter how many cruises you do, new cruisers or seasoned ones, everyone's opinion is helpful and contributes to the information available for others to consider.

So pleased you had such a good time and good experience for your first cruise. Yes, the atmosphere on board is very welcoming and friendly - no wonder we all want to go back! Enjoy planning your next one. ;)

Lovely review. Your first cruise is always special as you can't quite believe what you see and experience!

I am glad to hear your children had a fantastic time, we are on the Dream in 9 weeks and 3 days and my two can't wait!

You will now be hooked forever as will your children!

Suzy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

many thanks for this review

its great to see a review through a new pair of eyes from the perspective of a 1st time cruiser

yes, the 1st cruise is usually the best (most special) cruise and before you know it you're hooked on cruising (aren’t we guys);)

so pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed the dream and your first cruise adventure....a cruise really is a great holiday for families (something available for everyone)

quite a few new to cruise come on here and ask a myriad of questions which are welcomed but sometimes answered in lengthy depth and then they never come back and say how it was for them (shame because I love to read about others experiences)

so its like a breath of fresh air to read your review...many thanks for taking the time to write for us

many thanks for this review

its great to see a review through a new pair of eyes from the perspective of a 1st time cruiser

yes, the 1st cruise is usually the best (most special) cruise and before you know it you're hooked on cruising (aren’t we guys);)

so pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed the dream and your first cruise adventure....a cruise really is a great holiday for families (something available for everyone)

quite a few new to cruise come on here and ask a myriad of questions which are welcomed but sometimes answered in lengthy depth and then they never come back and say how it was for them (shame because I love to read about others experiences)

so its like a breath of fresh air to read your review...many thanks for taking the time to write for us

And worse still - I think it's very thoughtless not to even offer any thanks for help provided especially when, as you say, some questions are answered in a lot of detail by quite a few fellow CCers! :rolleyes:

But agree with geo, it is good to hear from new posters. Thanks Bodster for taking the time - and I hope it will be the start of you giving and receiving a lot more cruise info over the years! Happy cruising! ;)

Thanks for all the comments. I do feel its important to leave positive as well as the negative reviews often found on forums.

I would like to think my view and opinion may help someone in a position like I found myself. It was a difficult decision choosing where to go and on which ship.

I hope everyone travelling on the dream enjoys their cruise as much as we did. :)

Thanks for the review :) great to hear that you enjoyed your first cruise. We did our first one on the Celebration in 2008 and have been hooked ever since. We are on a hotel holiday in Spain at the moment. The weather has not been great, so not a lot to do. On a ship there is always something going on or just find a quiet corner to read or people watch. Sorry to say that hotel holidays are a bit boring after cruising:rolleyes:

Glad you are looking at your next cruise. We love the Majesty and Spirit & as you can see already have them booked :)

As others have said thanks for taking the time to tell us all about your first cruise. We look forward to hearing about your next one :)

Hi, 1st post on here after reading all the other useful information i thought i should contribute. I am not sure if this is the correct procedure, but i have seen others reviews on here i wanted to leave mine. I have also posted this in the cruise critic reviews but that leaves no place for comments etc.

We had an amazing week on the Dream and thought my comments could be useful for others.

We have never had a holiday onboard a cruise ship so I cant compare to any other ships and I am not going to try, but I will give an honest review for a ‘1st time cruiser’.

The reason for choosing the Thomson Dream was for the Itinerary, flight from a local airport and the reviews on here. We chose to do the Mediterranean medley from the 17th to the 24th of May.

Transfer from Palma airport to the ship was slick and hassle free, check in was swift and we were soon given our cabin, travelling with our 2 sons (age 4 and 7) we booked an outside plus cabin. We were given a cabin on deck 5, 5136. Clean, spacious and an excellent cabin steward named ‘Jaya’. He must have worked so hard as our cabin was always spotless and he was great with the kids.

First impressions of the ship was good. Its spacious with some nice public areas. We particularly liked the Argo lounge and oceans bar. Drink prices were good, but to be honest I didn’t drink much as I wanted to be up early to see the next port. 1st holiday I have ever had where I got up earlier than I do for work!

Now where this holiday did really impress me was for the staff, they are all so friendly and the work they do they are always smiling, all of them seemed to love the kids, remembering their names as well as mine and my partners.

We ate in the Orion restaurant, almost all the time, great food and amazing service. Maybe I went at the wrong times but the buffets always had queues and seating space seemed limited. Nothing wrong with the food though.

Didn’t do any excursions as we done the sights ourselves but getting on and off the ship was easy and hassle free. My eldest son even got to drive the tender boat (he steered anyway) briefly coming back from Rapello, he loved this and I know he will never forget it. Didn’t have any trouble with sun beds when onboard either.

We also done the bridge tour, Captain John came out to sign the kids club autograph books of my sons and we took his picture with them, he was great.

As to kids club, there wasn’t many kids onboard but Caroline and Sarah was brilliant and my 2 loved kids club, we had to persuade them to come with us on our day trips!

We all enjoyed the formal night, it was fun getting dressed up. Didn’t do any s hows and the entertainment was not really our thing but it all looked well organised.

We had an amazing week on the Dream, ok she may not be as big and new as other ships, but for the money I paid I could of stayed all inclusive in some hotel and went to the beach everyday but instead I spent a week on a fantastic ship, with friendly people, amazing staff and spent time in some great places. I now know I can’t do another ‘normal’ holiday. We are already l.ooking at where we are going next year and on which ship.

Thank you for your review of the Dream. We are going in September, cant wait We havnt been on the Dream yet (loved the Spirit & the Majesty) so it was great to hear how good it is. Oh i love cruisin !! :)

Hi

Thanks for your review- as it will be our first cruise with thomsons on The Dream in August it's great to hear you had a great time, many thanks for your views. I do wonder if the person who has just given one star was actually on board!

I first posted on the forum last year after booking the cruise and got some really helpful replies - which were most appreciated.

I will definitely post a review on here when we have sailed as I find everyone's else's posts really useful and interesting:) can't wait for August!!

Hi, thanks for the comments. I did submit the exact same review to cruise critic on Tuesday but its not appeared on the site. It did say it may take a few days. Not sure why its not there yet, but would be disappointed if it didn't get published.

Have they got any new sunbeds on deck 9 yet? Last year's brown ones were falling apart. They had seen better days when they took the ship over in 2010.

There is a post on this forum i saw a few weeks ago saying the dream had 450 new sunbeds, while i admit to not sitting in all the sunbeds on the ship the ones i saw and used were all fine and i did see alot that looked brand new.

I cant be of any more help than that, sorry.

Thanks for the review Bodster, it is nice when new forum members take the time to have some input after a cruise. As JTS says... welcome to the madhouse;)

I usually do like you and put the review up on here and the main CC section, it can take a few days for it to appear on there as they vet them before publishing.

Have they got any new sunbeds on deck 9 yet? Last year's brown ones were falling apart. They had seen better days when they took the ship over in 2010.

When we were getting off on 3rd May they were busy putting new sunbeds all over the ship.