Gay couple's concern - Kusadasi stop

We are cruising next October with another couple (2 men), and they are really excited about Italy and Greece. One of them has been to Europe with his parents several times; however, they both seem very unsure of Kusadasi as a cruise stop and are thinking about not getting off the ship. I'm OK with whatever they decide to do for their own comfort level.

I've asked a couple of other friends who have been to Turkey on cruise stops and I googled it briefly before posting this, but is there a reason for them to feel worried? It seems that the general belief is that this stop will not be friendly for them. If they are just being themselves and not too crazy with PDA (like you'd hope any visitor to a country might be, whether gay, straight, or green), would they be OK? They are really nervous that they will be shunned as soon as they step off the boat, and I know nothing about this port. My husband and I are planning an Ephesus excursion with a private tour company. Thoughts?

I am a gay man. I went to Kusadasi twice in 2 weeks on back-to-back cruises as a solo traveler. I would urge them to not have any fears. It is not an uncomfortable feeling port in the areas you will be. I took cruise line excursions both times and never felt uncomfortable at any of the stops (at Ephesus and mostly in rural areas). Both times, the excursion dropped us off near the pier, but still in the town. Since I had time before the ship sailed, in both cases I went off wandering the part of town around the port. It is a very clean, busy, but safe locale -- not all that different from what I've seen in European countries. There are restaurants, shops, cafes, a waterfront walkway, etc. At no time did I feel uncomfortable in Kusadasi or at any of the stops. I would advise that they refrain from obvious PDA as that might bother some people. There have been times in the past when an all-gay cruise was denied entry to Kusadasi, but I'm not sure this has happened recently (the only reference I found in a quick search was 14 years ago). I would understand if they chose to somewhat politically boycott the stop for this reason -- that would be their call. But if it's safety that is their primary concern, then I would not worry about it. Especially since you will be using a guided tour company. That part of Turkey has a very Western feel to it and is not really "exotic" in nature, if that makes sense. All-in-all, I suggest they go and have fun.

You might also try posting about this on the gay/lesbian cruisers forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thank you so very much for your reply! I had my friend sign up for an account on cruise critic so he could read our roll call and post, but I will send him the link above. Appreciate you taking the time:)

Kusadasi is a MAJOR tourist destination for European package tourists. In the coastal resorts in Turkey, the people are very modern and westernised. They are very used to tourists, also gay ones. I bet you are going to be surprised how many Turkish girls wear short skirts, skimpy shirts and tight leggings for example. Turkish people are very proud of their country (rightly so, it is beautiful), and want you to have a good time.

I know many gays who go on holiday to Turkey. Like other posters said, if your travel companions are not totally obvious about it, but just act like 2 friends on holiday, you will have no problem at all.

We are cruising next October with another couple (2 men), and they are really excited about Italy and Greece. One of them has been to Europe with his parents several times; however, they both seem very unsure of Kusadasi as a cruise stop and are thinking about not getting off the ship. I'm OK with whatever they decide to do for their own comfort level.

I've asked a couple of other friends who have been to Turkey on cruise stops and I googled it briefly before posting this, but is there a reason for them to feel worried? It seems that the general belief is that this stop will not be friendly for them. If they are just being themselves and not too crazy with PDA (like you'd hope any visitor to a country might be, whether gay, straight, or green), would they be OK? They are really nervous that they will be shunned as soon as they step off the boat, and I know nothing about this port. My husband and I are planning an Ephesus excursion with a private tour company. Thoughts?

There is absolutely NO REASON to be feel worried, nervous, anxious, etc.. THere are no police asking your sexuality preference when you get off the ship, nor is there ever a questionaiire, or somebody coming by with a radar that detects gay. In fact, a few years back, 2 of the gents on our excursion (private) to Ephesus were gay. No public anything was made about it by the tour guide, if he even noticed. Don't worry!

It would be a shame to miss the opportunity to visit Turkey. The people are wonderful, and other than being a bit over zealous encouraging you to buy their goods, they mostly just want you to have a good experience in their country.

Ephesus was the highlight of our cruise ...twice.

Please don't let them miss it.

I couldn't see anyway there would be a problem, we hired a taxi at the port who arranged the guide on our way to Ephesus ...a brilliant day.

If they are nervous why don't they join the roll call and join up with others. If we were going on their cruise I'd offer instantly to show them this unbelievable place. If your friends are reading this ....please don't stay on the boat ....Ephesus is ....magical!