Which would you do...Splendor or Gem?

jvalentine

Hi everyone!

I've been on a couple cruises now, but I'm having a tough time deciding on our next one. Debating the Carnival Splendor vs Norwegian Gem for a 7 night Canada/New England in Sept. Norwegian is about $400 more but also includes a stop in Newport...Carnival is cheaper but minus the port stop in Newport. Is Newport worth the extra money? Would we have a better cruise on NCL? Would love to hear from folks that have been on either ship!

Hey just wanted to chime in as I was considering these two ships as well. I ultimately choose carnival. They were having there sale and the sailing on September 27th was the best price compared to anything the gem had. We just wanted to spend the money else where actually staying longer in NYC and catching a play. Also people were commenting in the tiny rooms of the gem. But either way great itinerary. Depends if you like carnival or norweigean. I myself like fuller pockets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed the Splendor in February, going to the Bahamas. We never sailed the Gem but we have sailed about 7 NCL cruises.

To be honest, we liked the Splendor, even with it's gaudy decorations and motif. We got as fantastic rate on it. Food was excellent, service excellent and very good entertainment. Ourselves, we are not really Carnival type people as we like more peace and quiet instead of partying all night. But if the price is right, the ship is well worth it.

If I had to choose between Carnival and NCL, all things being equal, I choose NCL. We don't like Carnivals policy of no lunch in MDR on Sea days and they have instituted some sort of family dining in the MDR (don't know if it is on the Splendor yet). the Splendor is an older ship, not yet had it's new upgrades that many of the Carnival ships have undergone.

But again, if the price is right, she is well worth it.

As for Newport, we live outside of NYC and have been to Newport many times on our own. One of our favorite cities. Because of Hurricane Sandy, many of the attractions, like the Cliff walk were closed. If they are still closed, I would opt to save the money and bypass it. If that is newly opened, it is a great place to stop.

Cheers

Len